Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is basketball the right sport for Filipinos?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noong nasa RP Team ako ng bowling we only get 4000 pesos a month as allowance nothing more. We buy our own bowling equipment, only the elite bowlers get sponsors (Rookie palang kasi ako nun) habang ang basketball players get more than. However we bring more medals than them.

Sa bowling we get maximum of 8 medals habang ang basketball isa ( Asian Games). They get the covers of magazines and billboards eh puta wala naman naiiuwi.

I think its kinda unfair to other sports, they dont give much attention na may potential tayo. Tapos yung mga tao dito asa pa manalo tayo. Let us admit to ourselves that we cant compete at wala tayong laban sa larong basketball.

just my two cents

Comment

Basketball is Miseducation to Filipinos

I have been asking this question for years. This is the first time I heard of anybody else asking the same question. I can't find any evidence of this (yet), but I believe that basketball is part of what the Filipino historian Renato Constantino wrote in his book "The miseducation of the Filipino."

I play badminton, and rarely come across Filipinos in this sport. There are many good Asian players from countries close to the Philippines, but it seems that Filipinos are too caught up in basketball to play this sport or any other.

Basketball is a good sport, but unfortunately, height is very important. Of course talent matters, but you cannot have just talented guards on a team. For every success story of small basketball players, there are many more stories of succesful tall ones.

Filipino basketball teams who have tried but were just not that good enough to win the major international tournaments are a waste of good athletic talent. Many of these players, if given the chance, could have been great at some other sport and could have made Filipinos proud. Instead, they are local heroes but international nobodies. Filipinos don't even bother thinking of beating European or American teams anymore - they are happy to even just make it out of their Asian round robin pools.

Basketball is a constant reminder that Filipinos were conquered by a superior American force and always will be. There are many international sports that does not favor height or bulk such as soccer, and even baseball to some degree. Other sports such as badminton, and table tennis are even better for the smaller, more agile athlete. Instead of playing these other sports, winning, and lifting Philippine natonal pride, Filipinos play basketball and lose.

Why of all sports to introduce to smaller Asians, do the Americans introduce basketball? This is by design. In order to conquer a people and keep them conquered, the spirit of the men must also be defeated. Introducing basketball to the Filipinos is a constant reminder that they will always be defeated by bigger and taller Americans.

The strategy is to suppress the fighting spirit so that the defeated will never have the courage to turn against their conquerors. For over a hundred years, this American plan has worked perfectly. Filipinos has never attempted a coup against the Americans as they have against the Spanish. Many of the Philippine Presidents, past and present has been close allies and even puppets to the Americans.

Wake up Filipinos! You are Asian, brown-skinned, slimmer and smaller than the average American. Stop trying to be something that you are not. Embrace your true identity, and all of the wonderful attributes that go along with it. So what if the average height is 5'4"? Is that a crime? Does God say that being taller is any better?

The sooner that Filipinos accept themselves for who they really are, the sooner that this country will lessen its reliance and cultural connection to America, prosper and win on its own terms. Mabuhay!

Comment

Mahalig tayo sa Basketball pero walang hilig sa atin ang Basketball.

Comment

Kasi puro nba at pba lng ang ipinapalabas sa TV walang ka makikitang footbal or boxing noon puro lng NBA at si jordan. hahah

try mu pumunta sa mga nag iinoman na mga lugar ung mga tambayan sa mga carenderia mga beerhouse kun hindi karaoke basketball ang pinapanood.

naghihinayang nga ako bakit pa ako nag basketbol, varsity kasi ako dati nung HS ngaun lahat ng yun ang wala ng kwenta haha sana nag boxing nalang ako siguro pro na ako ngaun.
          Last edited by Alexandros; 08-31-2009, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X