Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana White ‘looking’ at Conor McGregor vs. ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone, but not a done deal yet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana White ‘looking’ at Conor McGregor vs. ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone, but not a done deal yet

Conor McGregor doesn’t have an opponent signed, sealed and delivered just yet for his return to action. But the UFC has an ideal person in mind for the job.

On Wednesday, UFC president Dana White confirmed the promotion is currently looking at Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone as the fighter who could welcome back McGregor 15 months after his most recent octagon appearance.

White stressed contracts haven’t been signed, and the fight is far from official. But Cerrone currently is the leading candidate to land the coveted showdown with McGregor, who announced his intention to return to the UFC on Jan. 18.

“We have nothing done,” White revealed when speaking to TMZ. “Nothing is even close to being done, so I hate to even talk about this stuff and say it because it might not happen. It might happen, but we’re looking at “Cowboy” [Donald Cerrone].”

“No. 3 versus No. 5, Jan. 18 at the T-Mobile [Arena] in Las Vegas.”

Cerrone has been vocal in his desire to face McGregor after they flirted with a booking earlier this year. That matchup was rumored for a summer time event, but McGregor scoffed at the UFC’s offer because the fight wasn’t scheduled as a main event.

As the biggest draw in the company’s history, McGregor believed he should only be a headliner. The UFC disagreed, and the bout with Cerrone fell apart.

Since that time, Cerrone has gone 1-2 in his past three fights with a win over Al Iaquinta and losses to Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje.

Despite those setbacks, Cerrone remains one of the most well-known and popular athletes on the entire UFC roster, so he brings attention of his own to a fight against somebody like McGregor.

For now, White is still working on the details. But at the very least, it appears the UFC has targeted Cerrone as the leading candidate to face McGregor in January.

Any mention to White of McGregor two on going sexual assault cases at the moment?

I think the ufc is trying to see how the cases play out before booking McGregor and having that be a the main part of the build up. I actually don't think the ufc wants conor to fight until those cases are resolved and put in the rear view mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by Albanianboxing View Post
      Any mention to White of McGregor two on going sexual assault cases at the moment?

I think the ufc is trying to see how the cases play out before booking McGregor and having that be a the main part of the build up. I actually don't think the ufc wants conor to fight until those cases are resolved and put in the rear view mirror.
      He hasn't been charged in either case

Comment

cowboy coming off two brutal losses in a row....so he wants to fight cowboy who has zero head movement and wilts under pressure (still a solid win, not great but solid) and he calls out frankie who is contemplating moving down to bw....

the conor who beat alavarez would have owned gaethje, but since then conor has declined and gaethje has gotten much better and changed his approach. if conor took the gaethje fight id respect him, but i think he knows gaethje fuccs him up bad now. even the diaz ship has sailed imo, he had one chance to have the trilogy at lw but now diaz has outgrown lw and is still to this day filling out nicely at ww and seemingly putting on more muscle mass.

LIGHTWEIGHT
        KHABIB NURMAGOMEDOV
        CHAMPION

Tony Ferguson
        Dustin Poirier
        Conor McGregor
        Justin Gaethje
        Donald Cerrone
        Paul Felder
        Dan Hooker
        Al Iaquinta
        Edson Barboza
        Kevin Lee
        Gregor Gillespie

im trying to think who conor can beat at lw - or where he is the favourite? at this point we know khabib beats him, ferguson is a tough mofo, poirier may have surpassed him and would probably be the favourite based on activity, gaethje is obviously a monster...cowboy ranked 5 still is funny, he can beat him probably.

LEE and gillespie fighting it out tomorrow, two solid wrestlers who can crack. he should fight felder or al aiaquinta - id favour him over those two. dan hooker looked real good in his last fight, id favour conorbut a long rangey guy is an added risk.

conor really needs to put up or shut up, every time he is entering a new country to peddle his pisskey proper 12 he calls out fighters for publicity. not even sure if he ever comes back, and if he does he's in for some tough ass fights. would love to see him fight the winner of mas/diaz - both of whom id favour over conor though i could see the ufc making it happen for a 165 lb title

Comment

^^^ that's the kinda mma s/hit i dont like.

You know damn well everyone from 4th down is just to fill up cards. They arent topping off anything. Porier who got dusted by McGregor looked even worse than McGregor against Khabib.

Gaethje is a journeyman. Cerrone puts on a good show but always folds when its his chance to stand on top. The rest arent as talented. Bunch of jon fitch, koschek types who just fill the cards but never touch gold.

What's the chances Cerrone gets done like Alvarez?

I can honestly see it happen. Wont be surprised by it either. Combination of Conor's talent and big fight pressure leading to an early out from Cerrone getting caught from volume at angles.

Comment

Working...
          X