Dana White says Conor McGregor ‘isn’t the man anymore’, McGregor responds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana White says Conor McGregor ‘isn’t the man anymore’, McGregor responds

The times they are a changing.

A few years ago, Conor McGregor was the unquestioned king of MMA. He was the sport’s biggest star and got away with things with the UFC that no other fight could have. For instance, despite being the featherweight champion, he fought three times outside of the weight class before the UFC stripped him of the title, and he managed to convince the UFC to co-promote an event - his boxing match with Floyd Mayweather - something they almost never do. But when you’re name alone sells millions of pay-per-views, the UFC is willing to tolerate a lot, and these days, that might not be the case anymore.

Over the weekend, UFC President Dana White spoke with The Boston Globe, telling them that though Conor McGregor will be fighting again next year, he’s no longer calling the shots.

“He’ll be back next year,” White said. “[But] Khabib is the man now. Conor isn’t the man anymore, so Khabib gets to sit back and call the shots.”

McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov have had a very public animosity towards one another for years now which has only intensified since Khabib throttled McGregor at UFC 229 and then jumped out of the cage to attack McGregor’s entourage. Since then, McGregor has been adamant about wanting a rematch, but unlike the last time he was submitted, (by Nate Diaz), this time McGregor isn’t getting what he wants. As a result, “Notorious” has been sitting on the sidelines waiting, and White says that’s probably where he’ll stay if it’s Khabib or bust. However, if McGregor wants to fight, there are plenty of options for him.

“Next month at Madison Square Garden, we’ve got [Nate] Diaz vs [Jorge] Masvidal, sold out,” White said. “So whoever wins that fight could fight McGregor. We’ve got [Donald] Cowboy Cerrone, we’ve got Justin Gaethje, but what Conor wants right now really is the Khabib rematch. So we’ll see how that whole thing plays out. But if you’re Khabib, you got the Tony Ferguson fight, George St. Pierre wants to fight, and you’ve got the Conor McGregor fight.”

At one point, White had made it seem like there was the potential for Khabib and McGregor to rematch sooner rather than later. However, it seems that logic and meritocracy have won out as White now says the only fight he’s focused on for Khabib is the long-awaited battle with Tony Ferguson, a fight he thinks will happen early next year.

“Tony Ferguson. I’m looking for Khabib vs. Ferguson in March in Vegas,” White said. “That’s what I’m trying to make right now.”

Of course, none of this sat particularly well with McGregor. “Notorious” has been taking veiled shots at the UFC over his layoff, hinting that part of the reason for it is a dispute over economics, but when White questioned his status as “The Man,” McGregor took to Twitter to let him know exactly what he thought of White’s assertion that he was usurped by Khabib.

Who’s not the man? Your man had that marquee event did he? More like an event in a marquee. A tent in the ****ing sand it was. Keep spoofing to your self horse. Jock strap sniffer championships.

“Who’s not the man? Your man had that marquee event did he? More like an event in a marquee. A tent in the ****ing sand it was. Keep spoofing to your self horse. Jock strap sniffer championships.”

McGregor may have bigger issues than an escalating beef with his boss though. The former two-division UFC champion has been battling a number of legal issues this year and it was recently reported that McGregor is being investigated in a second alleged sexual assault case.

Conor is old news now man. The guy has not fought in over a year now and has not WON a fight in almost 4 YEARS!!! That is fvking insane. All he does is tweet now. He has serious legal problems outside the cage now and Dana/ufc do not give in on negotiations so I honestly think things are only going to start getting worse for Conor if that seems possible atm.

Comment

The UFC dont eff around too much & let mfers get too big. Conor got bigger than the UFC wanted I think, but they let him L himself into non-title status which in the UFC is still everything. Now that they got the control back they arent gonna let it go so easy & I dont think they have much worry Conor does get back to where he was even if he can win a belt again.

Comment

Originally posted by Albanianboxing View Post
        Conor is old news now man. The guy has not fought in over a year now and has not WON a fight in almost 4 YEARS!!! That is fvking insane. All he does is tweet now. He has serious legal problems
        The Adrien Broner of MMA.

Comment

mcgregor had the opportunity to become someone big in the mma world even with the loss to khabib but now he's becoming a joke. took the wrong path.

Comment

Conor is still only 31. He'll get back to it, if he really wants it. I'm not sure how much he wants it anymore though.

Oh well. All that Cerrone talk needs to take a back seat though. He's pissed the bed every time he's gotten a shot at something real. A bit like Bisping he is. Where he'll have to wait for the division to go completely dearth of talent to win the title.

I'll watch Conor-Edgar. I don't know who this gaethje guy is. But he's likely garbage. Lose by ko to poirier and alvarez? Sub par. I rather not watch that one either. Just like Cerrone.

How bout even Conor-Holloway/Volkanovski? Let's get that going. That's better than a fighter boosted by inflated rankings walking into punches and losing against Conor in 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Albanianboxing View Post
              Conor is old news now man. The guy has not fought in over a year now and has not WON a fight in almost 4 YEARS!!! That is fvking insane. All he does is tweet now. He has serious legal problems outside the cage now and Dana/ufc do not give in on negotiations so I honestly think things are only going to start getting worse for Conor if that seems possible atm.
              in my youth, i would go to clubs, and see females who i wanted, but could not get.. then, they got toe tore up with age and bad choices.. they, they wanted me, and i did not want them..

Albania? You might be muslim.. my people. children of Abraham.. respect.. nice post..

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
                The Adrien Broner of MMA.
                that is a vicious, one shot ... body shot.. liver dropping end thread..

soon, he is selling his jock strap to pb32 for a pint of irish ale.

Comment

He made 100mill which is more than any UFC fighter can ever dream of making. Sht he made more money than fkin top boxers.

It must be hard getting up for fights now.

Floyd mayweather fight was the best thing that could have happened to his bank account but it was also an MMA career killer. He is done

Comment

He had a good 2 year run...flavor of the month who could promote himself

Comment

Working...
                    X