No announcement yet.

How skilled was/is Ronda Rousey really?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
    Not in this case. People called her overhyped the moment she became the UFC's biggest star. Not saying she isn't talented and great at what she did but I don't think I've ever seen any fighter hyped up this much in my entire life in boxing or MMA.

People were actually believing that could beat men twice her size. People actually believed she had the skillset to become a boxing champion and a world jiu jitsu champion.
    No different than when Tyson was leveling everyone...the difference is more media in the modern era, and the fact she's a woman...

Comment

Just because she lost to a better boxer oriented fighter doesn't take away from her judoka skills. I think she might not have trained as well as she should have.
      I wonder if she watched tapes of holly, knowing she's up against a superior boxer-type. Did she get complacent?

She fought Holly's fight. I didn't see much effort to slide over and under to take her down. Not to take anything away from Holly. She was brilliant in the cage, and a good sport after her win.

Comment

Female Brock Lesnar has been exposed as a one-trick pony.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
          She beat everyone else in the weight class, easily. I think she just got bested by a superior striker with a perfect game plan. The scary thing is that she knew that would be Holm's game plan and couldn't prevent it. I think she should ditch Edmund and get with a real camp. I don't know if Holm can run through the rest of the weight class though. I think she'll have problems with Meisha and Cat. I hope Ronda takes some time off, I like it when weight classes get shook up.
          I think Holm is going to be very tough to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
            Most educated MMA fans saw the clear holes in Ronda's stand up game. She loads up way too much on her punches, chin in the air, easy to hit and freezes up when she gets caught. She showed those bad habits against Tate and Correia. Watch the way Ronda boxes compared to an experienced, refined striker like Joanna, and you can see it's like night and day.

It was delusional fanboys, casual fans, douche bag promoters like De LaHoya, the UFC and Joe Rogan propaganda that made it seemed like her striking was catching up to her grappling skills.

Stopping McMann and knocking out Correia had people believing the hype. Holm is leagues above them as far as striking.

Ronda is great and still is, but judo and the armbar was always her bread and butter. She believed her own hype and wanted to show the world that she wasn't one dimensional and got taught a lesson.

Dem combos, doe.

What form, doe.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
              Ronda's competition up until last night was on a whole other tier. Judo...even at the Olympic level doesn't cut it in MMA...but she is definitely very accomplished in it and grew up with it. Compare that with a bunch of woman who are relatively knew to MMA by comparison without any real pedigree and Ronda looks great. But Holly Holm has a far greater skill set for MMA and better conditioning than Ronda...and suddenly Ronda looks like crap. Generally speaking woman's MMA is pretty weak but fighters like Holly and Cyborg will demolish Ronda every time. Holly is actually pretty damm good.

Ronda also had the hype machine behind her obviously in overdrive with all turbos wide open. The buzz was unbelievable and a lot of people simply couldn't see the forest for the trees.
              Female Brock Lesnar.

This is Zuffa.

They just reuse the same shit over and over again.

They are a bunch of clowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbed View Post
                I think she is skilled, especially compared to other WMMA fighters at her weight

However, she was massively overhyped. It was beyond ridiculous how Rogan said she was not only once in a lifetime but once in ever fighter and best woman athlete ever etc. I know he has a massive crush for her and she gets him into tears, but that was beyond ridiculous and stupid. She is far from the best athlete ever or even in the recent years in the woman's sports.

Her striking didn't impress me either. But she has more power than most WMMA fighters in my opinion. Core strength and punching power

She is a good grappler, but there are better ones out there. But they are olympic judokas etc., not involved in WMMA world

She is good but she was hyped way too much
                He also called her the 'most dominant athlete in combat sports'.

What an absolute tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post
                  He also called her the 'most dominant athlete in combat sports'.

What an absolute tool.
                  Yeah, this quote got used a few times by various people and is, quite frankly, a complete ****ing embarrassment to anyone even thinking let alone saying it out loud.

She's been fighting with the UFC for 3 years (and has already been KTFO!) and has 11 fights or whatever. What sane person would even consider calling her the most dominant athlete in combat sports after a handful of fights across a few years?! You'd have to be a real ****nuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    I said after the Correia fight, that someone like Holm would beat Ronda when she gets more mma experience. Now, the experience thing apparently wasn't a factor at all but the skill set that Holm has was more than enough to handle Ronda.

All someone had to do was be patient and not play rock em sock'em robots with Ronda and they'd likely beat her. That is what I said.
                    Where did you say that? Link please

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                      No different than when Tyson was leveling everyone...the difference is more media in the modern era, and the fact she's a woman...

How would you know? The internet was not around back then. Not everyone on the street was a fan of boxing and really knew Tyson back then. I'm pretty sure most of this overhypeness you've seen of Rousey has been on the internet. We didn't have that back in the late 80's.

Comment

Working...
                      X