Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defense against Ground & Pound - serious question?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
    Nobody throws uppercuts in G & P, it's just physically awkward and not efficient.
    Ummmmm....yeah they do....it doesn't matter how hard they hurt it at least makes the opponent think about It and lower his guard. If we're talking about from the guard position then It is difficult but if we're talking side mount or a guy curled up against the cage then they happen all the time.

Telling somebody in MMA to use a cross arm defense on the ground is a lot sillier then an uppercut on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by $BloodyNate$ View Post
      Ummmmm....yeah they do....it doesn't matter how hard they hurt it at least makes the opponent think about It and lower his guard. If we're talking about from the guard position then It is difficult but if we're talking side mount or a guy curled up against the cage then they happen all the time.

Telling somebody in MMA to use a cross arm defense on the ground is a lot sillier then an uppercut on the ground.
      Actually, it's the other way around.

By doing a cross arm defense in front of your face, you cover your entire face. Your forearms are soft and serve as cushions and on the outside are the hard bones.

I have never seen an uppercut ever thrown in a mount position. The physics are not there for an uppercut to be thrown correctly and to be effective.

I might get one of my friends to come over to my place, I'll put my boxing helmet just in case and test out that crossed arm defense.

Comment

Sure it will block a lot of punches but your pretty much giving your opponent an arm bar and limiting your options for getting out of that dangerous position in the first place.

Your statement should of been "nobody throws uppercuts in mount". Not general ground and pound all together. Because when your opponents on all fours the uppercut and hook are the two most common punches.

If this topic is mostly about mount then you should know that defense isn't even the number one priority. The number one priority is getting the hell out by shrimping out to half/full guard or bucking up.

9x out of 10 if all your worried about is blocking your getting stopped. Eventually the punches will break any defense or like I said it just gives the opponent a welcome to tee off until the ref stops it. The only 1 time out of 10 is the last round of Shogun/Hendo 1. But nobody else is Dan Henderson.

Comment

Sure it will block a lot of punches but your pretty much giving your opponent an arm bar and limiting your options for getting out of that dangerous position in the first place.

Your statement should of been "nobody throws uppercuts in mount". Not general ground and pound all together. Because when your opponents on all fours the uppercut and hook are the two most common punches.

If this topic is mostly about mount then you should know that defense isn't even the number one priority. The number one priority is getting the hell out by shrimping out to half/full guard or bucking up.

9x out of 10 if all your worried about is blocking your getting stopped. Eventually the punches will break any defense or like I said it just gives the opponent a welcome to tee off until the ref stops it. The only 1 time out of 10 is the last round of Shogun/Hendo 1. But nobody else is Dan Henderson.
          Yeah, I meant strictly mount and I need to see the Shogun/Hendo 1 fight.

Yeah, it would be best if you could get out of the position obviously but if you can't, I guess it's best to cover up in a way so you take least damage.

Comment

pull closed guard and throw elbows to the top off the head.

but ufc banned elbows to the head.

the reason ppl now use open guard and flail around is they're trying to reverse or catch ppl in subs.

back then a lot of success in elbowing the top of the head from close guard.

blocking from bottom is needed but priority is to get out of the position or get a sub.

Comment

Great question and answer by Nate... IMHO these guys are amazing gifted athletes and I love a great fight but I do not see anything of value here with this art other than showing you can do it.. I have seen to many people hurt seriously in these events I practiced TKD for years and boxed a little when I was young, I used to take my kids out to "Benny The Jet's" gym out in San Fernando Valley just so they didn't get the feeling they were Real tuff and my son and daughter were California State Champions, both could really take it ,I have seen them both take kicks to the head and their knees buckle and still come back to win their matches...They also fought in Chicago at Nationals a few yrs back maybe over 20 and they were trained by JJ Perry who does most of the Karate and TKD movies Mortal Combat, Get Gringo and many many more he also still does some of the stunt scenes. Hes in the last scene where the guy gets shot.. I didn't want them to be trained by just anyone... I saw JJ go out to Benny's and the full contact thing was just getting big. Benny had been the very first person non Japanese to win it in Japan. JJ was an expert ranked Marksmen in the army also did some boxing etc but he would wipe some of those guys out with that back kick... Just like boxing it's an art of Split second timing. I have also seen people seriously hurt at the very high levels that's why they use the chest protectors and headgear...a person can get killed with a kick...etc etc but now back to the thread...

These guys an gals are tuff most of them have nothing to prove in that area... For me it hurts the sport or art, whatever you want to call it..

I agree with Nate the cross arm strategy doesnt work well on the ground because you have very limited mobility. I will add when your standing up getting hit most of the time your head can go back a little depending when and how your hit, and you might be slipping them a little but when you are on the ground #1. most of the time your hurt...
              #2. when you take a shot, your head sometimes takes the shot from the hit and then can hit the canvas so you have to absorb that also...more injury and confusion to the head more defenseless
              #3. When they are hurt and down covering up the their face and head their opponent can come in on the side because their peripheral vision is diminished making the punches tuffer to see and to see and block again they are becoming more and more defenseless Doesnt make sense to me unless its about killing

I have seen the MMA fighters turn this type of situation around but I also have seen them loose their careers with this type of assault......

These fighters are not the type to slap out... I personally think there should be a limit of the amount of punches and maybe give the aggressive fighter big points and let the other fighter up call the round and then start again... Didn't they do that in bare knuckle fighting????...

Don't have the complete answer but I think they can are sometimes defenseless down there. Just some thoughts..... Great thread.... BL
              Last edited by blfinish; 09-21-2014, 09:37 PM. Reason: Can't see anymore because of the shots to the head :))

Comment

I have found that the best defense vs ground and pound is an active guard.. Head movement from the bottom plus going for submissions or sweeps.. Another good defense is wrist control. It can neutralize the attack

Comment

you can't throw an uppercut from the bottom or top guard/mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    I have found that the best defense vs ground and pound is an active guard.. Head movement from the bottom plus going for submissions or sweeps.. Another good defense is wrist control. It can neutralize the attack
                    i had homeboy win a fight just by closing guard. LOL

Comment

the punches from side mount are actually hooks not uppercuts.

throw a hook and uppercut standing and then in side mount, you'll realize it.

Comment

Working...
                      X