Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayhem Miller On Nick Diaz: “Don’t Be Scared Homie’

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Among fight fans they're pretty much equal with regards to who knows them, at least that's what I've come to know. In terms of who is more recognisable across the board, it's gotta go to Mayhem. No surprise though, the guy has personality and doesn't take himself seriously, whereas Nick is the complete opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
      They're both legit fighters, though...
      I don't dislike Mayhem at all. Just commentary on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
        Among fight fans they're pretty much equal with regards to who knows them, at least that's what I've come to know. In terms of who is more recognisable across the board, it's gotta go to Mayhem. No surprise though, the guy has personality and doesn't take himself seriously, whereas Nick is the complete opposite.
        Once again, when you look at the full picture in terms of the entertainment business, Mayhem is clearly more famous.

I suppose it may be notable that Mayhem is clearly more famous in Japan then Diaz, but sadly JMMA is not what it once was.

From a purely MMA perspective though, I have to say Diaz is considerably more relevant. I guess I'm speaking from a narrow perspective here, not so much in terms of who is known or who is more popular, but simply in terms of who is a more relevant fighter in his respective division. Diaz is a big name, at welterweight as far as I'm concerned (and probably a top 3 fighter). Mayhem is pretty much a fringe contender.

Comment

Mayhem is a gatekeeper at best. He also called Cesar Gracies gym a "mcdojo" Which is laughable concidering they have 3 champions in major organizations right now and Team Quest has no contenders in any organization. That is if Miller is still training with them. As far as his Tv show on MTV, it lasted a whopping one season and was actually pretty lame. I used to be somewhat of a Mayhem Monkey until I realized what a complete douche the guy was. I'm sure Mayhem is more famous than Nick Diaz, but in MMA, Diaz is the bigger name...

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
            Once again, when you look at the full picture in terms of the entertainment business, Mayhem is clearly more famous.

I suppose it may be notable that Mayhem is clearly more famous in Japan then Diaz, but sadly JMMA is not what it once was.

From a purely MMA perspective though, I have to say Diaz is considerably more relevant. I guess I'm speaking from a narrow perspective here, not so much in terms of who is known or who is more popular, but simply in terms of who is a more relevant fighter in his respective division. Diaz is a big name, at welterweight as far as I'm concerned (and probably a top 3 fighter). Mayhem is pretty much a fringe contender.
            I see what your saying and agree that Mayhem is not a top flight MW. Fringe contender would be the best description for him. However with regards to Diaz I feel differently. I don't get why people view Diaz as a top flight WW. He's got skills but at 170 he has never made a consistent run of wins to warrant such a ranking IMO.

Even now people genuinely believe that he is that high but if you look at who he has fought since he last competed regularly at 170 he hasn't beaten anyone that is a top WW. His last fight was against a LW. Prior to that Sakurai who hasn't been relevant for years. Zaromskis who is a title holder but isn't a top fighter and is living off his tourney success against subpar WW's. Scott Smith who outside of a big punch is nothing special and never made any noise anywhere he fought. Frank Shamrock who was 10 years removed from his prime and Katsuya Inoue, Muhsin Corbbrey, Thomas Denny and Mike Aina who are all career LW's. I don't see how he qualify's as a top WW IMO. Plus who can he fight at 170 in Strikeforce that is worthy of being a top WW? Pretty much knowone. If anything the best out there available would be guys like Jay Hieron, Ben Askren or the recently signed Paul Daley, but even then it's slim pickings.

Originally posted by kaps View Post
            Mayhem is a gatekeeper at best. He also called Cesar Gracies gym a "mcdojo" Which is laughable concidering they have 3 champions in major organizations right now and Team Quest has no contenders in any organization. That is if Miller is still training with them. As far as his Tv show on MTV, it lasted a whopping one season and was actually pretty lame. I used to be somewhat of a Mayhem Monkey until I realized what a complete douche the guy was. I'm sure Mayhem is more famous than Nick Diaz, but in MMA, Diaz is the bigger name...
            Actually the show went for 2 seasons and is gonna have a 3rd from what I heard. But how lame the show is or the fact that you prefer Diaz over Mayhem isn't the point. It's that Mayhem doesn't need to make money off of Diaz, he does just fine if not better without him. Diaz on the other hand admits he needs money because he doesn't make alot.

Comment

That's weird because all the shows that I see are from the first season, I haven't seen a new Bully Beatdown in close to a year....

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
                That's weird because all the shows that I see are from the first season, I haven't seen a new Bully Beatdown in close to a year....
                You're not missing much, the "bullys" are even more stupid but the "fights" are still pretty funny to watch.

Comment

I think Mayhem is using his name to get fights with other names instead of earning his way into big fights by fighting and beating quality opponents is the point I was trying to make. While Mayhem is an entertaining fighter, I don't believe he has the skill to beat any top ten Middleweight or Welterweight...

Comment

I get what you're saying. He pretty much fits the Chris Lytle mould, in terms of his fighting, in that he can beat most guys but when he takes that step up to the top guys, like the fights with Jacare, Shields and even GSP he more than likely won't win but he'll make it a competitive matchup. With Diaz, he needs to start fighting quality opponents at 170 for his ranking to be justified IMO, but like I said in my previous post, those opponents are gonna be hard to come by.

Comment

I do get what your saying Jakkups in terms of the divisional rankings. I guess I was speaking on the grounds of having followed his career and seen probably a majority of his fights, and just speaking in terms of my overall sense of his skill level and abilities. I am certainly a fan, I like his fighting style, so I can't say this doesn't play into my praises. He has had an impressive run, going 13-1 and finishing most of his opponents over the last 3.5 years, with some decent opposition mixed in (most notably Gomi, of course). Pretty much all of his losses have been decisions in which he was never dominated, and some of which were quite close.

I get your point though, and in terms of proper ranking methods I agree with what you said.

Comment

Working...
                      X