Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there been a dominant Asian MMA fighter ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has there been a dominant Asian MMA fighter ?

The only one I could think of is Kid Yamamoto.

What I mean by dominant is someone who ruled for awhile, may have lost but got right back on the saddle and whupped some more @ss.

Sakuraba...

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
      Sakuraba...
      I like Kazushi, although my knowledge of him and his fights have been mostly through Y*utube. My first taste of Pride was when I use to go back and forth to Japan back in the late 90's, I saw him whuppin' one of the Gracie's @ss(it may have been Royce) and I was like "who is this guy".

But, again, I didn't really get a chance to follow his career, how long was his dominant run and which weight division ? What areas was he solid at.

Comment

He never had a huge run because the dudes in Pride where basically trying to get him killed. But he did win a UFC tournament and take out almost the entire Gracie clan, plus he did really well against Igor Vovchanchyn after he'd just finished fighting Royce for 90 minutes...

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
          He never had a huge run because the dudes in Pride where basically trying to get him killed. But he did win a UFC tournament and take out almost the entire Gracie clan, plus he did really well against Igor Vovchanchyn after he'd just finished fighting Royce for 90 minutes...
          Sakuraba is a legend.

Comment

I believe Hayato Sakurai at one point was considered to be one of hte best pound for pound fighters. He won 18 straight matches, and was 18-0 before he lost to Anderson Silva.

Comment

Sakurab was great. He is definately on my MMA "mount rushmore"

But......

The only Asian fighter to truelly have a reign of terror like A.Silva and Fedor is Takanori Gomi.

The first and ONLY Pride FC lightweight champion. That says enough right there.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
                Sakuraba is a legend.
                No, Sakuraba is god......

Comment

yep sakaruba is surely a god, but gomi is also nice

Comment

Sakuraba was never dominant.He was dominant over the much smaller Royler Gracie,but that was about it.He was involved in a highly competitive,close right until the end bout with journeyman Vernon White,and looked vunerable against Allan Goes.He was rather fortunate that he wasn't declared the loser in his bout against a man that Pride seemed to get a kick out of screwing over in Guy Mezger.

Charismatic,exciting,skilled fighter at his peak,but lacked the aura of invincibility that Wanderlei Silva had during his peak to be considered "dominant".

Comment

Working...
                    X