No announcement yet.

Anderson Silva "I'm not impressed by GSP."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    So your saying GSP's wrestling, a man who never tasted the olympics, is better than a Greco-roman Olympian's wrestling..... that's weird bro. That's like saying Jake Shield's bjj is better than Renzo Gracie's. Facts are Hendo's wrestling is better than GSPs. Hendo also out wrestles all those guys, GSP in the Olympics? I doubt he breaks 10th place. Specially if the Canadian Olympic wrestling team has said GSP still needs some years to get on their level. I believe 10 years was the estimate, but I am not even 50% sure about that so I take it with a grain of salt. Like I said, Fans can say whatever they want but the credentials don't lie, neither would the Canadian Olympic team.

Hendo hardly wrestles in comp. He still likes his power and has a strong chin so he rather bang than wrestle. Doesn't mean his wrestling is behind him. Not when his training camp consists of wrestling with US Olympians.

I never said GSP wouldn't take Silva down either. I said it's not like Silva doesn't know how to do things off his back and GSP still needs to stand up at somepoint. And we all know it only takes a split second against Silva to get put to sleep.

Telling someone to watch BJ fight again to compare it to Silva is kinda low. BJ skill is great but his fight with GSP just shows that size matters. Silva isn't smaller than GSP, he will either be bigger than GSP or he will be same size. Seeing how Silva made Franklin look small, and Franklin is considered a big MW. I doubt GSP dwarfs Silva. GSP's wrestling is good but everyone knows his gameplan and you can't prepare for Silva. So, I got Silva every time against GSP.
    So you believe Hendo could walk onto the olympic wrestling team right now and take 10th place? GSP is putting on weight, he will be shorter than Silva for sure, but weight wise there shouldn't be that big of a difference by the time they fight if it happens. I got no beef with Silva, and think he's #2 p4p behind Fedor, all I'm saying is that GSP is stronger than anyone Silva's ever fought in what Silva is weakest at. Also, it's been said that Georges regularly handles Rashad wrestling as well and Rashad is more heavy than Anderson. I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree on this one and make a fat bet if the fight ever happens. Cheers...

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
      So you believe Hendo could walk onto the olympic wrestling team right now and take 10th place? GSP is putting on weight, he will be shorter than Silva for sure, but weight wise there shouldn't be that big of a difference by the time they fight if it happens. I got no beef with Silva, and think he's #2 p4p behind Fedor, all I'm saying is that GSP is stronger than anyone Silva's ever fought in what Silva is weakest at. Also, it's been said that Georges regularly handles Rashad wrestling as well and Rashad is more heavy than Anderson. I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree on this one and make a fat bet if the fight ever happens. Cheers...
      No but I think he could make the US team. GSP is a great wrestler but your way overrating his wrestling if your going to make a bold statement like his wrestling is better than Hendo's. Like I said, I never said GSP won't take down Silva but I do know that Silva isn't a slouch on his back. GSP's only legit ownage against a wrestler was Kos and that surprised the hell out of me. GSP owned him. Fitch and everyone else is whatever because their wrestling Calibur isn't on par with Kos or GSP, even Sherk he is great wrestling against guys who can't wrestle. I'm not even surprised by Bj because the first fight GSP did the same thing after the 1st round. What makes the second fight so great is Penn couldn't even get the 1st round that time. The only thing we are really disagreeing on is Gsp-Hendo's wrestling.

I would comfortably bet the house on Silva over GSP.

Comment

Nope. I don't think GSP stands a chance against Silva.

If the Canadian olympic team said GSP still needs years of work to become olympic calibur wrestler. Then what does that mean for him if he faces Silva who impressively beat an Greco-roman olympic wrestler, who is 30x better than GSP at wrestling, has a granite chin as well but was dropped by Silva?

Silva would make GSP look ordinary just like everyone else he has faced. Vitor stands a better chance against Silva than anyone else.
        Wrong. Silva made Henderson look ordinary because Dan threw his gameplan out the window. Silva thrives off of aggressive fighters because they create opportunities for him to show off his skills. Fighters who don't create opportunities, Anderson becomes completely ****ing clueless of what to do. Case in point Cote and Leites. GSP will be the same way, only he actually has the skills to beat Silva and he could.

And as far as being a pure wrestler Dan is better than GSP, but MMA adapted wrestling, it's not even ****ing close. And MMA adapted Wrestling is what's relevant here, not who can make the Olympic team. Dan's takedown defense has always been crap and he's not as good as setting up his takedowns like GSP is.
        Last edited by TheNegation; 03-16-2010, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundSt.Pound View Post
          Wrong. Silva made Henderson look ordinary because Dan threw his gameplan out the window. Silva thrives off of aggressive fighters because they create opportunities for him to show off his skills. Fighters who don't create opportunities, Anderson becomes completely ****ing clueless of what to do. Case in point Cote and Leites. GSP will be the same way, only he actually has the skills to beat Silva and he could.

And as far as being a pure wrestler Dan is better than GSP, but MMA adapted wrestling, it's not even ****ing close. And MMA adapted Wrestling is what's relevant here, not who can make the Olympic team. Dan's takedown defense has always been crap and he's not as good as setting up his takedowns like GSP is.
          I largely agree with this.

I would also have to say that neither GSP or Henderson would make it through a nationals competition in the US as of right now. There are just too many top shelf wrestlers in the US. (It is also worth mentioning that whereas Henderson was a worldclass Greco wrestler GSP's wrestling is closer to freestyle.)

Also, as far as wrestling adapted to MMA goes, greco guys and freestyle/collegian guys bring much different strengths (collegian being much closer to freestyle than it is to greco of course). Greco guys are much more adept at controlling their opponents in the clinch, whereas freestyle and collegian stylists basically translate as takedown artists in MMA (not trying to teach you guys anything you don't already know, just summarizing for the purpose of discussion). Of course, virtually all American (and Canadian?) wrestlers grow up on the collegian style, regardless of their post-college wrestling careers.

As far as wrestling goes, Hendo's best days are clearly behind him, although if we are talking pure wrestling, GSP probably doesn't have all of the tools necessary to compete on a world level in his own right. It is really a bit of a case of apples and oranges.

As far as the current landscape goes, for my two cents King Mo right now is the best wrestler in MMA. He's a 4x national champ, placed 7th at worlds, and debuted in MMA only after suffering a major upset in the Olympic trials for a spot on the national Olympic team.

Comment

GSP vs Anderson Silva has to happen. It would be MMA's version of Pacquiao Mayweather.

Id pick silva winning though

Comment

He didn't know what to do with Cote and Leites? Are you serious? Silva was playing around with them. Hell, he didn't even have to fight because they both beat theirselves up. Don't bring up those fights like they are even relevent, you can see plain as day what Silva was doing. He had his hands down at his sides, you can't be any less serious than that. Oh wait, he was dancing as well. Oh yeah, he also even tried to help them up. He was on a whole nother universe from them.

Going by your logic, with the wrestling. Penn's MMA bjj is not even fucking close to Shinya Aoki's MMA bjj. You can't take it back now or make double standards, you put it out on the table not me. You can't take it back now.

Silva has a knack for making very good guys look ordinary, that simple. GSP has a knack for imposing his will on people with his wrestling, simple as that. I would still bet the house on Silva any day on that match up.

Comment

He didn't know what to do with Cote and Leites? Are you serious? Silva was playing around with them. Hell, he didn't even have to fight because they both beat theirselves up. Don't bring up those fights like they are even relevent, you can see plain as day what Silva was doing. He had his hands down at his sides, you can't be any less serious than that. Oh wait, he was dancing as well. Oh yeah, he also even tried to help them up. He was on a whole nother universe from them.
                You are ****ing delusional. So Anderson just didn't feel like fighting is what you are saying? Hahah. You're an idiot.

If Anderson is on another universe he should have had Cote and Leites out before the championship rounds and he couldn't even do that. You could tell that he was noticeably frustrated against both of them.

The only thing plain as day is that Anderson didn't know what to do with either of them. Between Cote bouncing around and not engaging and Leites constantly falling to his back, Anderson doesn't know what to do when his opponents don't open their defense.

Take for example the first round against Henderson. Dan played a conservative round picking his shots well, and got takedown and controlled Silva for the round.

The next round Dan gets enticed into a striking war with Anderson goading him on. Dan starts throwing wild Haymakers and guess what happens?

If you are going to blindly defend one of your favorites at least know what the guys Modus Operandi is when he steps in the cage.

Anderson would be an idiot to think that people would want pay $50 to see him salsa dance with Leites for 25 minutes... especially with how high his finishing rate was prior to UFC 90.

Going by your logic, with the wrestling. Penn's MMA bjj is not even fucking close to Shinya Aoki's MMA bjj. You can't take it back now or make double standards, you put it out on the table not me. You can't take it back now.
                That has nothing to do with this discussion. BJJ is BJJ. Wrestling is not all the same.

When we are talking about MMA adapted wrestling

Dan Henderson is not as good as GSP.

Dan's Takedown defense is crap, his shot is crap, he doesn't set up his takedowns with strikes the way GSP does.

GSP has a great shot, solid clinch control, great takedown defense and sets it all up with good striking.

Just because Dan can make the Olympic team and GSP can't doesn't mean Dan's wrestling applied to MMA is better than GSP's, because in the Olympics you don't get punched in the face or choked unconscious.

You Fail

Silva has a knack for making very good guys look ordinary, that simple. GSP has a knack for imposing his will on people with his wrestling, simple as that. I would still bet the house on Silva any day on that match up.
                Silva does make good guys look ordinary...when they try to be aggressive and create opportunities for him.

Just wait and see if Damien Maia tries to be conservative in their fight you are going to see another fight where Anderson doesn't know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
                  Hendo doesn't have better wrestling than GSP, and that fight wasn't impressive for Silva, he got mauled the entire first round, I don't think GSP would make the same mistake Hendo did in the second round and try and stand with him, I see Silva on his back being controlled like we've seen lesser fighters than GSP do to him before...
                  Whoa, whoa, whoa.....Hendo COMPLETELY DOMINATED round 1 of his fight with Silva by pinning his shoulders on the mat. It was his horrific striking: dipping his head when punching, that got him KO'd. GSP is a great wrestler, and great striker. He will beat Anderson in so many ways, but he will go with the sure bet of striking only to set up takedowns and rain down elbows or some **** like that. GSP > Silva via ground n pound

Comment

You are ****ing delusional. So Anderson just didn't feel like fighting is what you are saying? Hahah. You're an idiot.

If Anderson is on another universe he should have had Cote and Leites out before the championship rounds and he couldn't even do that. You could tell that he was noticeably frustrated against both of them.

The only thing plain as day is that Anderson didn't know what to do with either of them. Between Cote bouncing around and not engaging and Leites constantly falling to his back, Anderson doesn't know what to do when his opponents don't open their defense.

Take for example the first round against Henderson. Dan played a conservative round picking his shots well, and got takedown and controlled Silva for the round.

The next round Dan gets enticed into a striking war with Anderson goading him on. Dan starts throwing wild Haymakers and guess what happens?

If you are going to blindly defend one of your favorites at least know what the guys Modus Operandi is when he steps in the cage.

Anderson would be an idiot to think that people would want pay $50 to see him salsa dance with Leites for 25 minutes... especially with how high his finishing rate was prior to UFC 90.

That has nothing to do with this discussion. BJJ is BJJ. Wrestling is not all the same.

When we are talking about MMA adapted wrestling

Dan Henderson is not as good as GSP.

Dan's Takedown defense is crap, his shot is crap, he doesn't set up his takedowns with strikes the way GSP does.

GSP has a great shot, solid clinch control, great takedown defense and sets it all up with good striking.

Just because Dan can make the Olympic team and GSP can't doesn't mean Dan's wrestling applied to MMA is better than GSP's, because in the Olympics you don't get punched in the face or choked unconscious.

You Fail

Silva does make good guys look ordinary...when they try to be aggressive and create opportunities for him.

Just wait and see if Damien Maia tries to be conservative in their fight you are going to see another fight where Anderson doesn't know what to do.
                    Your the fucking idiot. You sit there and seriously believe Silva was having problems with Cote and Leitas. Go watch the fight again, if a person has problems with another fighter, they should have been in trouble at least once. Mayweather-JCC, Rashad-Machida, Huerta-KenFlo, KenFlo-Sherk, Those are examples of having problems with other fighters.

Cote couldn't do ****, couldn't even touch him and ended up tearing his own ACL. Leites couldn't do **** either and was getting clowned on and still couldn't do ****.

I get tired of your bull****ting. You sit and try to talk like you know **** about the game when it's obvious you don't know ****. Or at least whenever GSP is brought into the mix, your IQ goes from 100 to 17 in two minutes. You went from a Wanderlei fan to a GSP nuthugger, that **** is sad. Wanna talk about a fail.

Your already trying to make double standards. "Oh GSP is duh best! His MMA wrestling is way better than dan henderson's." Yet, when going by the same logic Shinya Aoki would be have a 10 fold better bjj than Penn in MMA, you want to talk like bjj isn't different. BJJ in abu dhabi is way ****ing different than MMA adapted bjj. You sad ass failure.

Demian Maia? The guy who got ktfo by Nate Marquardt? Get the fuck out of here.

You revealed yourself as a fake ass stan. At least Kaps made sense. You just like to rub GSP nuts, GSP can't possibly do bad. He can't possibly be lower than someone else. I'm done. Good day sir.

Comment

Your the fucking idiot. You sit there and seriously believe Silva was having problems with Cote and Leitas. Go watch the fight again, if a person has problems with another fighter, they should have been in trouble at least once. Mayweather-JCC, Rashad-Machida, Huerta-KenFlo, KenFlo-Sherk, Those are examples of having problems with other fighters.
                      Compared to his last 6 opponents who were touted as legitimate opponents, he shouldn't have had ANY trouble putting away Cote and Leites who had no business in their with them. So why didn't he? Can you answer that? Or are you going to come up with some stupid response sucking Silva's balls saying he didn't have to fight?

Cote and Leites played conservative gameplans of not engaging. When you engage a counter puncher you get countered and knocked out. That's what Anderson had been doing up until that point.

Anderson was having trouble imposing his will on his opponents because they refused to so what so many had done before.

Cote couldn't do ****, couldn't even touch him and ended up tearing his own ACL. Leites couldn't do **** either and was getting clowned on and still couldn't do ****.
                      But yet Anderson's other universe skills couldn't put him either of them away...hmmmm.

I get tired of your bull****ting. You sit and try to talk like you know **** about the game when it's obvious you don't know ****. Or at least whenever GSP is brought into the mix, your IQ goes from 100 to 17 in two minutes. You went from a Wanderlei fan to a GSP nuthugger, that **** is sad. Wanna talk about a fail.
                      I'm still a Silva fan. Nothing I say about GSP is far off from the truth. You must not like that for some reason. Because I say GSP has a legit shot at Silva which is true, and that GSP's Wrestling applied to MMA is better than Dan's, which is true- that makes me a blind nuthugger?

Ha. Go around to some other MMA sites and try to sling your bull**** that GSP doesn't have a shot and that Dan is a better MMA wrestler.

Your already trying to make double standards. "Oh GSP is duh best! His MMA wrestling is way better than dan henderson's." Yet, when going by the same logic Shinya Aoki would be have a 10 fold better bjj than Penn in MMA, you want to talk like bjj isn't different. BJJ in abu dhabi is way ****ing different than MMA adapted bjj. You sad ass failure.
                      I don't even know how to respond to this incoherent babble. You're the failure, sir.

Can you explain to me your comparison in BJJ between Aoki/BJ?

I don't get that

Demian Maia? The guy who got ktfo by Nate Marquardt? Get the fuck out of here.
                      It's not out the question that we could see a repeat of Silva/Leites in this match-up.

You revealed yourself as a fake ass stan. At least Kaps made sense. You just like to rub GSP nuts, GSP can't possibly do bad. He can't possibly be lower than someone else. I'm done. Good day sir.
                      That's right I do love rubbing his nuts. It's what I do. But I've never said he could do no wrong, couldn't lose or that nobody is above him. I even have Anderson ranked higher than him P4P, and recognize his flaws in the stand-up.

Comment

Working...
                      X