Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conor McGregor announces comeback fight against Michael Chandler for June 29 UFC event

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor McGregor announces comeback fight against Michael Chandler for June 29 UFC event

Conor McGregor has a date for his comeback.

“The Notorious” announced Sunday that he will fight Michael Chandler on June 29 at a UFC event in Las Vegas. According to McGregor, the bout will take place at 185 pounds.

See McGregor’s social media announcement below.

“Ladies and gentlemen, a Happy New Year to you all,” McGregor said. “I’d like to announce the return date for myself, the ‘Notorious’ Conor McGregor, the greatest comeback of all time will take place in Las Vegas for International Fight Week, June the 29th... and the opponent, Michael Chandler. And the weight, Mr. Chandler, 185 pounds.”

Shortly afterwards, Chandler reportedly told ESPN, “Here we go. Any weight is good with me.” He has since addressed the announcement on social media.

I always said I wanted you at your biggest, your baddest and your best. 185 would look good on me.

MMA Fighting’s Damon Martin confirmed the matchup with Chandler as well as the assertion that Chandler will fight McGregor at any weight, including middleweight.

The UFC is yet to officially announce a bout for McGregor or Chandler, nor has an event been announced for June 29. However, McGregor’s supposed return date would fall in the time range when the UFC typically hosts International Fight Week (the most recent iteration of the event took place in early July).

McGregor and Chandler have been on a collision course for some time, with Chandler repeatedly calling for a bout with McGregor even before they were booked as opposing coaches on The Ultimate Fighter 31. Following the conclusion of that reality show earlier this year, it was expected that the two would fight, but McGregor’s competitive status was muddied by his unclear drug testing status with the USADA and sexual assault accusations that were levied against him this past June (McGregor was later cleared of criminal charges).

As for his issues with the USADA, the UFC’s long-time drug-testing partner officially ends its relationship with the fight promotion on Dec. 31, seemingly removing that obstacle for McGregor. Going forward, Drug Free Sport International will handle testing for the UFC.

Should the June 29 bout come to fruition, it will mark McGregor’s first fight since he broke his leg in a loss to longtime rival Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 in July 2021. The former two-division champion hasn’t won a fight since defeating Donald Cerrone at UFC 246 four years ago.

Neither McGregor nor Chandler have ever competed at middleweight. McGregor won his two UFC titles at lightweight and featherweight, with his most recent bout against Poirier taking place at welterweight.

Chandler has spent the vast majority of his career competing at 155 pounds. His most recent fight was also against Poirier, a bout at UFC 281 that ended with Poirier defeating Chandler via third-round submission. The three-time Bellator champion has lost three of his past four fights.

That's a lot of weight, for both!

Comment

Chandler keeps getting big paydays because he makes his opponents look good.

Comment

Working...
      X