Steve Cofield: "Overeem Should Be Stripped Of His Belt"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Cofield: "Overeem Should Be Stripped Of His Belt"

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...urn=mma,186790

Why have championship belts if your fighters never defend them? Cung Le hasn't fought since March of 2008. Alistair Overeem has taken it to ridiculous levels. The Strikeforce heavyweight champ hasn't defended the strap since he won it back in November of 2007 against Paul Buentello.

It's gotten to the point where Strikeforce heavyweights aren't asking for an Overeem fight. The fight means zippo. The most desired fight is now against champ-in-waiting Fedor Emelianenko.

Overeem canceled his August 15 fight against Fabricio Werdum because of a mysterious hand injury. Now he's booked for what looks like a K-1 fight next month against Peter Aerts and then another appearance in December. When the heck will he fight in the U.S. again for Strikeforce? Frankly, we're starting to think he's avoiding fighting in the United States. We hate to do it, but there's was a lot of PED chatter surrounding Overeem when he was at the April Strikeforce event. He defiantly denied the steroid allegations with Ariel Helwani. The picture shows Overeem growing from a 205-pounder to huge 254-pounder in three years.

Who knows what the reason is? It's clear Overeem doesn't respect the title or Strikeforce. It's time to strip him and hold a heavyweight tournament. Make it an eight-man tourney with Fedor as the No. 1 seed. If Overeem wants in, he's welcome to. It'd be a great way to build up the heavyweight roster and further promote Fedor's name in the U.S.
    Last edited by snakerattle79; 09-05-2009, 01:14 PM.

i agree that would be great step for strikeforce to do. and overeem has to be on i don't care how your training and eating is you can't pack on 50 pound in three years without help. k-1 doesn't test for roids. i am pretty sure dream is not big on testing either.

Comment

I told you mmGAY lads, he's on the fooking juice you delusional fools. He is going to fight Peter Aerts in K1 and then Mighty Mo where testing is half arsed.

Comment

Only if they make Fedor vs Rogers for the title.

Then make Overeem Champion Emeritus.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
          I told you mmGAY lads, he's on the fooking juice you delusional fools. He is going to fight Peter Aerts in K1 and then Mighty Mo where testing is half arsed.
          He's on steroids because some reporter for Yahoo says he is?

Sorry you fail. And so does Yahoo's MMA reporting.

Comment

The weight argument is basically moot, as there is little doubt he was cutting to make 205, as is the case with most LHWs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Charms View Post
              Only if they make Fedor vs Rogers for the title.

Then make Overeem Champion Emeritus.
              i can seriously see this happening, or winner gets title shot at overeem. in other words fedor is new strikeforce hw champion

Comment

It's STrikeforce's own fault, it's too soft on it's fighters, Cung Le doesn't even care about his strap and neither does Overeem, cause he's making more bucks in Japan

Comment

strikeforce is just another notch on his bedpost

Comment

Originally posted by Paragon View Post
                    It's STrikeforce's own fault, it's too soft on it's fighters, Cung Le doesn't even care about his strap and neither does Overeem, cause he's making more bucks in Japan
                    At least Overeem is still fighting.

Cung Le is making ****ing movies and hasn't had a fight anywhere since he won his title.

Besides that, Overeem is fighting better fighters in Japan than Strikeforce is offering at this point

He's fought Cro Cop, Bonjasky and now he's fighting Peter Aerts.

I'd take those guys over Brett Rogers any day of the week, even if it is K-1. Those are big name fighters.

But I agree. Strikeforce needs to put some kind of stranglehold on it's fighters to avoid further **** like this. This is how there promotion is going to fall.

Comment

Working...
                    X