Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFC Offers Fedor Lucrative Deal, M-1 Screws it Up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soon as that guy said mir is mid level fighter i stopped reading his posts lol

Comment

Well thats too bad seeing as his not a bad fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
        He was signed for his marketability ,stellar amateur wrestling background, plus his combination of speed, agility, and size. It was his first fight, did you expect them to put him up against a top 3 heavyweight ?

Besides, he was never marketed as this Viking warrior you speak of. He was marketed as a physical specimen. A heavyweight the size of a Mack truck that moved like a lightweight.

Since when is Frank Mir a mid-level fighter ?

Frank Mir is a top 5 heavyweight across the board. Even after his recent loss to Lesnar, he still is.

Again, the guy has 2 professional fights under his belt, and was put up against a legitimate heavyweight who has had much success fighting in Pride.

Do you realize what the level of competition for most fighters in their 3rd fight is ? Most fighters aren't fighting guys at the experience level of Herring in their 3rd pro fight.

I take it you've never been to a UFC fight before.

Lesnar appeals to casual fans. Not to mention his fanbase he carried over from his WWE days. Brock Lesnar is the crossover superstar that MMA needed.

The one thing that do agree with in your post is that it was a win-win for the UFC. If Lesnar lost, he lost to arguably the greatest heavyweight in UFC history, in his 4th professional fight...no shame in that.

If he won (obviously he did), he could be marketed as the unstoppable immovable object. Which is the case now, and its payed dividends not just for the UFC, but for the sport in general, as proven by the PPV success when Brock Lesnar is headlining a card.

Minatauro didn't make any excuses for his loss. You don't have to do it for him. Its a fighter's responsibility to make sure that if he is not at

Okay, obviously you missed the whole technical aspect of what Brock did. He destroyed Mir's halfguard using his wrestling to thwart any of Mir's attempts to sweep or defend himself. There was a video posted on YouTube which breaks it down, it was very impressive.

Also, the UFC didn't blow anything up anyone's asses. Actually, if you look at it, some could say that Brock was set up for failure. His first UFC fight was against a top 5 heavyweight, in a fight he dominated, until he made a rookie mistake and got caught by a guy with more submission victories in the octagon than any other fighter in history.

I believe that Lesnar is the 2nd best heavyweight in the world, and I think he could actually beat Fedor in a cage. Herring definitely isn't a top 5 heavyweight, but I have never heard anyone make an argument for that, and I don't see why you're trying to discredit Brock for not fighting a top 5 heavyweight in his 3rd pro MMA fight.

Couture, is the 6th best heavyweight, IMO.

It seems to me that you are more bothered with Brock Lesnar's character and demeanor, which is understandable, but the man is a competitor and an admitted sore loser. Hate him if you want, but you cannot deny his presence as one of the best heavyweights in the world right now.
        I would respond to this, but all I really have to say is LOL. Technical aspect? I learned that **** in my first day of BJJ, how to nullify the guard, what to pull on to make gravity/weight do the work. It's all entry-level stuff, hence Frank Mir being trash. He had BJJ when nobody else really had it in the beginning, he is a fat/less successful version of Royce Gracie.

Imagine what Fedor would have done to these guys in his first four fights?

O shi-
        Last edited by Move BRICKS™; 08-03-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X