Affliction Entertainment cuts ties with heavyweight Andrei Arlovski

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affliction Entertainment cuts ties with heavyweight Andrei Arlovski

Affliction Entertainment cuts ties with heavyweight Andrei Arlovski

Andrei Arlovski's days as a fighter for Affliction Entertainment are over.

Fighters Only first reported that Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio will not offer Arlovski a new contract now that his original deal has expired. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since independently confirmed the news.

Arlovski (15-7), a former UFC heavyweight champion, most recently suffered a 22-second TKO loss to Brett Rogers at a June 6 Strikeforce event.

The late booking allowed Arlovski to fight on the Showtime-televised portion of the St. Louis card. However, he was quickly staggered and beaten with strikes by Rogers until the TKO stoppage.

Prior to the loss, Arlovski fought top-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko and suffered a first-round knockout loss at "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" in January. Arlovski had posted five consecutive wins (all but one via knockout) before the back-to-back losses.

Arlovski was one of Affliction's biggest earners. He earned $750,000 ($250,000 of which was a win bonus) for a win over Ben Rothwell in July 2008, and he earned an additional $1.5 million disclosed salary in the loss to Emelianenko.

Now that he's headed to the free-agent market, he's unlikely to find such sizable paydays, though his notoriety and past UFC title run should draw plenty of suitors domestically and abroad.

Dream or the UFC

Comment

Originally posted by Palma View Post
      Dream or the UFC
      I don't really see the UFC taking him, unless maybe if he has some wins on smaller shows.

Comment

Wow this is good news for the UFC. Dana has talked about wanting him back.. and now they can get him at a cut price.. I mean he's coming off two knockout losses.. but a couple of easy fights and he'll be someone the UFC can use to show their heavyweight division is credible.

Comment

I don't know if Dana will take the chance of putting someone that Fedor knocked out so easily in the ring with one of his prize fighters...what if Arlovski upsets one of them? Affliction would go crazy with that publicity "Man who Fedor knocked out in less than 30 seconds is new UFC Champion!"...I just don't see it.

Comment

this is kind of weird. Andre always shows up in great shape and is capable of putting on a great show. I can only guess that affliction is doing this almost entirely because of his chin.

Comment

Originally posted by wojosh6 View Post
              I don't know if Dana will take the chance of putting someone that Fedor knocked out so easily in the ring with one of his prize fighters...what if Arlovski upsets one of them? Affliction would go crazy with that publicity "Man who Fedor knocked out in less than 30 seconds is new UFC Champion!"...I just don't see it.
              That would be Bret Rogers who achieved that. But as for Arlovski, the guy has talent and when he's able to get off first he's dangerous. But there's no defence for a wet beard. One shot to the dome from guys like Carwin, Dos Santos or even Brock and Arlovski's head may fly off of his body.

Comment

Working...
              X