Rich Franklin to train with Anderson Silva during UFC 99 prep for "Wandy"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich Franklin to train with Anderson Silva during UFC 99 prep for "Wandy"

Rich Franklin to train with Anderson Silva during UFC 99 prep for "Wandy"

As he prepares for his UFC 99 main-event fight with Wanderlei Silva, former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin will spend some time training with a former foe.

In fact, Franklin will work with the fighter who not only took his belt but also beat him in a rematch (in front of a hometown Cincinnati crowd) when he tried to get it back.

MMAjunkie.com's Dann Stupp discusses the Franklin-Anderson Silva alliance in this week's "MMA Insider" column in the Dayton Daily News.

Stupp learned of the duo's plans from sources close to Silva (Franklin's manager opted not to comment on the matter).

Franklin, who suffered a close split-decision loss to Dan Henderson in January, will now meet Wanderlei Silva in June during the UFC's first-ever trip to Germany. The bout will take place at a catch-weight of 195 pounds (Franklin recently moved up to 205 pounds and Silva planned to drop to 185 pounds). Like the other Silva, Anderson Silva is a noted striker. He's also one of only two guys who ever knocked out Franklin, so he's sure to pick up a few tricks.

Franklin recently took off for Seattle to work with trainer Matt Hume, and he'll reportedly spend some time in California with the current champ.

The move also underscores a budding rivalry between Anderson and Wanderlei Silva. Once training partners and friends, Wanderlei has spoken openly about his intention of dropping to 185 and challenging for the title, which presumedly would still be held by Anderson, who hasn't taken kindly to the plans.

Don't be surprised to see the Franklin-Anderson Silva footage make its way to the "UFC Countdown" show for the UFC 99 event. The footage could fan the flames of a potential Silva vs. Silva showdown if Franklin comes up short in June.

wtf? is this real? Franklin is gonna train with the enemy? Wow, never thought I would see it but hey maybe he will teach him how to finally fight the clinch.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      wtf? is this real? Franklin is gonna train with the enemy? Wow, never thought I would see it but hey maybe he will teach him how to finally fight the clinch.
      It's not that weird IMO. It's not like Silva is Frank's enemy. He respects the hell out of him and there was never any bad blood between them.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
        It's not that weird IMO. It's not like Silva is Frank's enemy. He respects the hell out of him and there was never any bad blood between them.
        Yeah, I know. I just meant like, Franklin is gunning for him. It would be like JMM suddenly training with Pacquiao. You know?

Comment

RIP Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X