Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFC strips BJ Penn of Welterweight Titlle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business is business, and the UFC did what they had to do. Penn might have screwed himself over if he loses his next few fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Howard
      I don't understand Penn. The guy bitches and begs for a title shot, gets it and wins, now does something that he knows will result in a forfeit of the title.
      Money talks. Bull**** walks. If your gonna have a champion, put him to the test and pay him to fight. Unless you're gonna wait until he finds BETTER opportunities.

Guys loosing titles because they want to make money (Penn, Pulver, Bustamante) isn't going to help "sell the sport."
      Thats not the fighters fault. Its not Penn, Pulver, Bustamante's job to "sell the sport", they are training hard everyday as their job is to put food on the table and in order in doing so they put their bodies through hell. They work too hard on selling themselves that they don't have time in worrying whats "selling the sport". Obviously K-1 and Pride can "sell the sport" but UFC cant. Personally, I think its a Zuffa problem. Really, look at some of the facts...

Jens at his highest point, as a champion in the UFC made $12k to fight and $12k to win. When he left and fought in Japan as a non-champion... he made $50k to fight and $25k to win. Thats a huge difference and anyone that passes that kind of money up is just stupid. They put their bodies out on the line everyday in training, to say that they are worth any less or make them feel that they owe something to someone for giving them a belt that they earned and deserved...... is just plain ****ed up. Bj is reportly getting paid $150k to fight in this upcoming K-1, while Duane is getting paid $70k. Huge pay days, nicely ran events, a huge crowd, an awesome fan base.... what more can you ask for? It seems like the fighters love the UFC because of how known it is in America and because its where most of them are from. For example, I don't see Busta calling himself an ultamite fighter or saying that he'd like to come back to the UFC.... however Penn does, Pulver does, Ludwig does.... and I personally think its because they are Americans... they want their people to see them and cheer for them, but to serve as a champion... pay them paydays like Tito (like how K-1 is with Penn) and you get a better outcome. You can spread the wealth more evenly amongst champions and fighters that bring in the fans. You can't tell me that UFC does'nt make any money yet they can afford to pay Tito $150k to show and $75k to fight.... not even as a champion, but you pay a champion less than $25k take home, including the win.

UFC is doing something wrong. Its not the fighters IMO.

Comment

Reread my post. You just glanced at it. I'm not blaming the fighters.

Comment

I'm not saying that what Zuffa did was right. I don't think they should be allowed to run a monopoly. Denying fighters the opportunity to make money should be illegal.

Now they have one title holder out of five belts.Something's not right here and I have a feeling its all about money. When a fighter wins a title they expect their pay to jump. That's only right that the champions make the most money. By not having title fights they don't have to pay the purse and save money

Comment

Inside Fighting.com
            Great read. Can't blame BJ for leaving, only a fool would take 25k to show and 25k to win over a guaranteed $150,000. BJ was reasonable in asking the UFC just to match the 60 & 60 they were paying Hughes. He beat the man and deserved the man's paycheck. Fighters age in dog years in this sport and have to get theirs while they can. I have to say I can't stand Dana White for the way he treats his fighters, it's no coincidence that so many of the UFC's greatest champions have opted to walk.

Comment

Reread my post. You just glanced at it. I'm not blaming the fighters.
              I read it all now. My bads. I just had to comment on the few comments that I glanced at and then continued to ***** and complain. I hate the way Zuffa treats their fighters.

Comment

Here is the main problem for BJ Penn. There are not enough events out there that will pay him a good check. He will get this fight and then what? He is not big in size for the japan freakshows, and he too big for most good paying light weight shows.

Unfortunately, BJ went for the single big payday and lost track of the big picture of more fights. UFC has a grip on MMA in the USA, beleive me I know! And is not easy to get in any decent show, heck I promote a small show with good fighters and I have a waiting list of fighters in every weight class.

I think it will happen like it did to Murilo and Jens.

Comment

You make some good points but shooto pays pretty well doesn't it? Didn't Sean Sherk just fight in Bushido at 170? I would LOVE to see Sherk vs. Penn. Maybe K1 will continue to put fights together with lighter fighters. Bang, Sudo, Penn, they're off to a good start. Let's hope that the smaller guys start getting the opportunities that they deserve.

Comment

TTT

Comment

Working...
                    X