Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here think aikido is an effective martial art?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here think aikido is an effective martial art?

If so, why?

I think traditional martial arts are effective in their own ways. For one they tend to instill a very high dicipline level in kids

As far as self defence, it will work well against your average untrained person. In a stlye vs. style, we know how that goes.

Comment

Mut is correct

As far as self defence it seems to be good for kids and such. As something to use in MMA, no. You wouldn't want to use 90% of what you would use in aikido.

I have something against it though, I hate Steven Segal. He is an ******* and I am still beaming over what Quadros did to him

Comment

Aikido is good for self-defense.

Comment

Akido is pretty good , but I feel it is too reliant on over-commital of the attacker.
          The real deal Akido has alot to do with chi which is pretty cool.
          Real deal akido masters are scary - wouldn't want mess with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Creed
            Mut is correct

As far as self defence it seems to be good for kids and such. As something to use in MMA, no. You wouldn't want to use 90% of what you would use in aikido.

I have something against it though, I hate Steven Segal. He is an ******* and I am still beaming over what Quadros did to him
            I agree and disagree with you.

I agree only on mma competition. Aikido has many things that you dont know. I have personally used it many of times and I subdued my opponent in less than 30 seconds. Other times I had to resort to my other training to subdue my opponent. This was never in a ring but on the street.(real life).

You fail to understand Creed that Aikido utilizes weapons also. Could you imagine a mma fighter trying to take a Aikido practioner down and the mma fighter' head gets cut off. Drastic? Yes! Impossible? No!

Steven Seagal who you hate, is a movie actor. He has studied in Aikido.

MMA prohibits many moves that Aikido practioners would use without a weapon.(we all know that weapons are not allowed in mma so that is null).

I have trained in Aikido, Wing Chun, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Kali, Pencak Silat and Kalasag Kuntao Silat from 1980's.

Aikido is great and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to study martial arts. It is repititious but what is gained is confidence on your abilty.

Kali, Pencak Silat (herman Suwanda) and Kalasag Kuntao Silat (professor Visitacion's lineage of Vee Jitsu arnis te) are deadly. NOT FOR MMA USE!.

Before blasting a martial art Creed, I hope you studied in it for years. Thanks.

Comment

I don't much credibility to the aikido guys around here (ie: on-campus) for a few reasons. One, in a demonstration, the instructor could not throw someone that didn't roll with him.

Two, they have IN-FRIGGIN-CREDIBLE egos. My buddy was in a class with one and told him that I was a martial artist. This guy laughed and said he'd murder me. My buddy shoots back with the styles and length of time (12 yrs opposed to this gumball's 3) and his response. "I could take him, easy."

Okay, I'm sorry, but from what I've encountered, it's not what I would go for. Then again, I'm a little more direct in my solutions. Like "use a bigger hammer" direct, so it's not for me.

Traditional style masters scare the living hell out of me, btw. No way would I want to mess with one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Stewart
                I don't much credibility to the aikido guys around here (ie: on-campus) for a few reasons. One, in a demonstration, the instructor could not throw someone that didn't roll with him.

Two, they have IN-FRIGGIN-CREDIBLE egos. My buddy was in a class with one and told him that I was a martial artist. This guy laughed and said he'd murder me. My buddy shoots back with the styles and length of time (12 yrs opposed to this gumball's 3) and his response. "I could take him, easy."

Okay, I'm sorry, but from what I've encountered, it's not what I would go for. Then again, I'm a little more direct in my solutions. Like "use a bigger hammer" direct, so it's not for me.

Traditional style masters scare the living hell out of me, btw. No way would I want to mess with one of them.
                Reading what you have studied, you should know that "dont judge a martial art on a certain student".

Comment

But what did I say? I said I didn't give much credibility to the practitioners around here. Devoted practitioners of any style are dangerous and I'm aware of that. They scare the hell out of me. I'd like to say I'm good, but I know that I can easily be beaten.

Comment

Never really indulged in Aikido. Sounds interesting tho.

Comment

Working...
                    X