EliteXC Signs Cuban Olympic Judoka Hector Lombard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EliteXC Signs Cuban Olympic Judoka Hector Lombard

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12415

When Hector Lombard (Pictures), a 2000 Olympian in judo, was scheduled to face Karo Parisyan (Pictures) last year, one question immediately came to mind: How could a Cuban refugee living in Australia obtain a visa into the United States?

The question remained after one denial. Then Lombard returned a second time to the U.S. Embassy and received another resonant no on his application to enter the United States.

Six months later ProElite has signed the current Australian Cage Fighting Championship middleweight champion. In fact, Lombard is already in the United States, where he trained in Hollywood, Calif., before moving on to Team Quest in Temecula.

"I'm an Australian citizen now," Lombard explained. "This is a big difference from the first time I tried to come."

With that question solved, another has materialized. Why did Lombard choose EliteXC instead of the UFC?

"I opted for EliteXC because I can fight more and I can act in [Australia] as well," said Lombard, explaining that the EliteXC contract was more flexible. "Soon this sport will be really big in Australia. Everyone already talks about it, and the last CFC was in the newspaper, channel 9 and 10 FoxSport. Australian people are tough. Plus we play rugby, the hardest game of all. I believe MMA will be the future sport."

Lombard doesn't know yet when he will debut in the United States or whom he will fight. First he will defend his CFC belt against Fabiano Capoani (Pictures) on May 23 in Australia.

This guy could be a solid contender at MW. He already has a 15-2-1 record in MMA with 6 TKOs and 4 Subs, and is 8-0-1 in his last 9.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...ighterID=11292

Comment

interesting, gonna check this guy out.

Comment

This is the first footage I've seen of him. The guy looks like something special. Also, it says in the video that he's a 7 time Cuban national champ in judo, and Cuban judo is tough.

Comment

Hector Lombard vs James Te Huna - This fight's a good example of why it's a good idea to learn to fall properly before trying MMA

Comment

Hector Lombard vs Fabio Galeb

Comment

Hector Lombard vs Mathew Toa

Hector Lombard vs David Frendin

(Dayem)

Comment

Never heard of him....

Comment

Hector Lombard vs Chris Brown

Hector Lombard vs Daiju Takase

Hector Lombard vs Tatsuya Kurisu

Thats all for now

Comment

One more, sparring against former World Title Challenger Shannon Taylor

Comment

Working...
                    X