No announcement yet.

Chuck Liddell-Wanderlei Silva Set For 12/29

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Liddell-Wanderlei Silva Set For 12/29

Las Vegas, NV (USA) – For years, UFC® fight fans have speculated about the outcome of a historic dream matchup between two legendary figures in the sport of mixed martial arts, Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva. Tonight, on Spike TV’s 2007 Scream Awards, UFC President Dana White announced that dream will finally become a reality when UFC and PRIDE former champions Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell and “The Axe Murderer” Wanderlei Silva face each other at UFC 79: NEMESIS live from the Mandalay Bay Events Center Saturday, December 29, 2007. [details]

cool rumors.

Event name: UFC 79
    Date: Dec. 29, 2007
    Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center
    Broadcast: PPV

Matt Serra vs. Matt Hughes (UFC Welterweight Championship Match)
    BJ Penn vs. Joe Stevenson (UFC Lightweight Championship Match)
    Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva
    Dean Lister vs. Jordan Radev
    Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard
    Tony DeSouza vs. Roan Carneiro
    Doug Evans vs. TBD
    Luke Caudillo vs. TBD

Comment

If those are the fighters then that looks like a great fight card !

Comment

BJ Penn has been bumped from the UFC 78 card in Newark, N.J., on November 17 and will instead fight at UFC 79 on December 29 in Las Vegas, Nevada, according to FightNetwork.com.

Here’s the snip:

“… it appeared that Penn has been patiently awaiting a new opponent for Nov. in the interim, the popular Hawaiian’s camp has confirmed their leader is now preparing for a Dec. 29 match-up at UFC 79….”

The reason for the switch has everything to do with the uncertainty involving the status of the lightweight title. Current champion, Sean Sherk, was penciled in to defend the 155-pound crown against Penn; however, Sherk tested positive for steroids after his win over Hermes Franca at UFC 73 in July.

“The Muscle Shark” is scheduled to appeal the finding before the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) on October 31 — little more than two weeks prior to the Newark event.

Put simply, the UFC can’t promote a show for which it has no main event set in such a short amount of time.

Therefore, Penn will fight for the title one month later on New Year’s Eve weekend against Sherk, or he will face Joe Stevenson for the vacant strap if the Sherk ruling is upheld and he is stripped of the title.

Here’s a snip from “Daddy:”

“I was told I was definitely fighting in December or January. I think there’s a strong possibility I’ll face B.J. Penn.”

That means that two championships will be on the line on December 29 — UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Serra takes on Matt Hughes in the main event of the evening. However, the recent news means that UFC 78 is now void of championship main event.

So can the potential rematch between Tito Ortiz and Rashad Evans slated for the newly-built Prudential Arena be a big enough draw?

Comment

White pulled Liddell's ass out of the fire on this. He lost his last 2 fights and gets rewarded with a big money fight.??? Hmmm.

Comment

tito vs. rashad 2 is off....its bisping-rashad now..........i hope sherk gets stripped for cheating and let the lightweight king penn fight big daddy....thats gonna be a great card........i got knockout wins for hughes, liddell, & penn........

Comment

Penn/Stevenson??? Awesome, strip Sherk of that ****ing belt and let us these two go at it.

Comment

Originally posted by PHX_NINJA View Post
                White pulled Liddell's ass out of the fire on this. He lost his last 2 fights and gets rewarded with a big money fight.??? Hmmm.
                Just be happy its happening.

Comment

Originally posted by PHX_NINJA View Post
                  It's more for the pay-perview $$$ that he was chosen over Jardine.

Besides, this will be a great match to see. Much more exciting than Wand vs. Jardine. I hope they both bring their A game cause I want to see some bombs being thrown

Comment

Working...
                  X