Sak to fight as heavyweight????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sak to fight as heavyweight????

from www.adcombat.com

Is Japanese star Kazushi Sakuraba seriously considering a move to heavyweight? The Japanese press reports that this could be the case. Stemming from comments made earlier this last week, Sakuraba is entertaining the thought of getting up to 215lbs to enter the PRIDE Grand Prix.

The PRIDE middleweight star, who has had personal problems in the past, stated that his much publicized drinking problem has caught up to him as of late. Sakuraba also admitted that he has been eating excessively. At one point in his career, he was around 175lbs when he fought Royce Gracie.

Some think his jump in weight is due to burnout. In the span of less than one year, Sakuraba faced 7 opponents. It is highly doubtful, anyone on the 'A' level matched this frenetic pace in the last three to five years. His opponents included the likes of Renzo Gracie, Ryan Gracie, Vanderlei Silva, Igor Vovchanchin, Guy Mezger and Royce.

Show after show, Sakuraba asked for a break but was the key drawing card for Pride. The crossover audience he brought from pro wrestling made Pride the most successful show of the last several decades in Japan.

In his first 14 MMA matches, he had only lost one. That was to Vovchanchin who outweighed him by nearly 50lbs.

He won his next three matches but then met up with Vanderlei Silva and Mirko Filipovic. His battles with these two left him a damaged eye-socket and a shoulder injury. Many feel he has never fully recovered from the injuries and intense battles over the last two years.

In the interview he claims to be 80% healthy and he 'hoped' to be 100% by fight time on 3/16/03. The interview came off as Sakuraba being relaxed and easy going, but this could be bad going against 'Elvis' Nino Schembri.

Schembri is a technical machine when it comes to ground fighting. His standup is the questionable factor, but he should be able to challenge Sakuraba on the ground, especially if Sak isn't at 100%.

There is also word that Sakuraba's trainer and mentor, Nobuhiko Takada, was asked to take a much larger roll in Pride. With all the negative press around the death of Nayoto Mora****a, DSE and Pride execs has asked him to become the matchmaker but Takada turned it down.

good read. I hope he gets his life together.

Comment

Sak is the man. He needs to find a weight though and stay at it.

Comment

I would like to see him get healthy and stay at his weight and fight guys his weight...as a heavyweight, I think he would struggle to carry the weight and would end up being pretty much owned by a few guys.

Comment

This is a 180 degree turn around from previous rumors about Pride wanting to create a 185 lb. division and have Saku as their champ in that weight class.
          I sure hope he doesn't fight as a heavyweight.

Comment

I love sak but as a heavywieght, I dont think he will do well at all

Comment

I don't like this idea one bit, last iem h foughtthat heavy, he was succesful, but it was against a jiujitsu competitor. Silveira was hardly anything more and not the level of otehr Carlson Gracie fighters like Sperry, Busta and Ribeiro or their students. If Sak were to fight it would have to be grapplers and the tourney won't e strictly grapplers all the way through. Sak's great but once is enough, at least for now. He needs to fight at natural weight and take it easy. He fought well against all his oponenets. I mean if ou lok at his experience w/ heavies it's been great. Vov, he almost had subbed, Conan he tapped, Vitor was tooled like no other, Mirko fought like a *****. His second match w/ Silva was going well until he was slammed, which in all fairness to Silva was a legit win, but had he landed differently, a very real possiblity, he probably would've done very well. Sak is a machine, but he's also human, he needs rest and fair fights.

BTW, thinkingback to when he won the UFC HW belt, that night Tank pulled out from injury, how do u think that would've turned out if they fought? i'd always thought maybe a lil like Tank and Frye.

Comment

Dammit, when is Pride going to give Sak a break? Clearly, he looked gimpy in his last fight against that embarrassment known as Gilles Arsene. He's lost a lot of mobility due to the injuries, and he's going to need it against a BJJ stylist like Schembri.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomTap
                  I would like to see him get healthy and stay at his weight and fight guys his weight...as a heavyweight, I think he would struggle to carry the weight and would end up being pretty much owned by a few guys.
                  I agree 100%. He should be fighting at 185. However, there is really no one to blame for his poor career choices but Sak.

Comment

I can't see Sak at 215 lbs..

Comment

Working...
                    X