No announcement yet.

Rumors for Big Nog vs Brandon Vera

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors for Big Nog vs Brandon Vera

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (29-4-1) could face Brandon Vera (8-0) in his first bout inside the Octagon, according to Sam Caplan at FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

The moster addition of “Big Nog” to the UFC heavyweight class was just announced at UFC 69 on April 7.

Caplan warns that it’s a “total rumor,” but I feel compelled to pass it along because — if accurate — it’s such a juicy match up.

And, it seems well within the realm of possibility.

Here’s the entire snip:

“This is total rumor, but I’ve been hearing a lot of talk that Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira’s first UFC fight could be against Brandon Vera. Take that for what it’s worth. I’m trying to get some sort of official confirmation.”

With Randy Couture, Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic, Gabriel Gonzaga, Andrei Arlovski and Fabricio Werdum all tied up in the near future, there are few “big name” fighters available to fight the former PRIDE FC heavyweight champion.

In fact, the only other competitive option besides Vera is former UFC heavyweight titleholder Tim Sylvia.

Of course, the UFC can feed Nogueira a can or journeyman to build up name recognition among fans.

But a showdown with someone like Vera — a young and exciting fighter — would no doubt be a solid addition to any pay-per-view (PPV) card.

Vera has been on the shelf since November 2006 because of a contract dispute and it is still unclear if the issue has been resolved. However, he does have one fight remaining on his current deal.

“Minotauro” also last fought in late 2006, outpointing Josh Barnett on the judges scorecards at Pride: Shockwave on New Year’s Eve.

Here’s to hoping that we see this fight one day real soon.

Rumor yes but can ya guys believe the hype in this one if it happend, 2 exciting fighters going at it...who ya think would win this heavy weight match?? what are your predictions?

Nog by sub if it happens. Vera would need a tuneup fight before this after his layoff due to contractual problems. I personall wouldnt mind seeing Nog debut against a guy like Assuerio Silva if he were to beat Cheick Kongo at UFC 70 this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by the giant one View Post
      Nog by sub if it happens. Vera would need a tuneup fight before this after his layoff due to contractual problems. I personall wouldnt mind seeing Nog debut against a guy like Assuerio Silva if he were to beat Cheick Kongo at UFC 70 this weekend
      He's getting a warm up match against Jake O'brian...Jake seemed ok with his fight with Herring, so this fight should be something to watch.

Comment

I really can’t see them putting Nog in there with a tough legit ****er in his first fight especially with his eye problems.

Then again, they put Werdum in there with Arvloski straight away so who knows.

Comment

I'd have to take Noguiera in this one. Vera is good, but Noguiera has been in there with the best of the best, and only Fedor has ever been able to beat him decisivly.

I bet Vera is wishing he resigned and took the title shot against Sylvia now. If he loses against Minotauro (if the fight ever happens) his stock will drop way down, and he'll be a long way from ever getting in the position for a title shot again.

Comment

Nog should sub his ass, but I think Vera is a live underdog in this one, though i dont think hes on Nogs level.

Comment

I think it's going to start slow where both guys attempt to strike for a while like Nog did against Werdun. Then once it goes to the ground........Ya.

Nog will find a mistake Vera makes, quick sub once that happens.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

So whats the story on Nogs eye problems? i've seen em mentioned on here a couple times.

Comment

Nog wants to make a name for himself quick in the ufc so he wants to fight a good fighter 1st...if it happens i would pull for vera.

Comment

Originally posted by baserocks View Post
                    So whats the story on Nogs eye problems? i've seen em mentioned on here a couple times.
                    Blind in his right eye after an operation to improve his sight made it worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X