No announcement yet.

Diego might Fight in LW Grand Prix

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diego might Fight in LW Grand Prix

Speaking of Sanchez, Zach Arnold at FightOpinion.com picked up on a report that Sanchez might be a participant in PRIDE Fighting Championship’s upcoming lightweight tournament.

Sanchez fights at 170 pounds, and as Arnold mentioned, it’d be interesting to see how much weight he’d have to drop for the tournament.

From FightOpinion.com:

Gryphon points to a news report about Diego Sanchez working PRIDE’s upcoming Lightweight GP tournament. The curious thing is what weight limit the tournament would be at and how much weight Sanchez would have to cut to participate.

There’s no doubting Sanchez would be huge for the weight class if he fights anywhere under 170 pounds (if he can even cut that much).

Unfortunately, it appears to be simply speculation at this point.

And here are the other fighters in the GP..

UFC fighters will have the opportunity to participate in the PRIDE FC 2007 Lightweight Grand Prix, which is set to begin on May 20, according to a recent interview with Nobuyuki Sakakibara in a Japanese magazine called Kamipro.

Here’s a snip from soon-to-be former President and CEO of Dream Stage Entertainment (DSE):

“In fact, PRIDE Light-Weight Grand Prix on May 20 will be full of top UFC fighters. It will be the best place for deciding who the best lightweight fighter in the world is. This is the first benefit that the ‘union’ brings about.”

Each grand prix comprises 16 fighters who fight in a tournament style until there is only one man left with his arm raised. The first round and quarterfinals are on one day, and then a few months later the remaining winners square off in the semifinals and final.

In 2006, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic won the heavyweight tournament, defeating Josh Barnett via tapout because of strikes. Earlier that same night, Cro Cop beat Wanderlei Silva via knockout.

Now that PRIDE FC has changed hands, the lightweight grand prix — according to the most recent statements made from UFC President Dana White and the Fertittas — will most likely be at 155 instead of the traditional PRIDE FC 161-pound limit.

On the PRIDE FC side, top fighters such as Hayato Sakurai, Takanori Gomi, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Marcus Aurelio, Gilbert Melendez, Joachim Hansen and Nick Diaz are already being discussed as participants.

For the UFC, it’s doubtful that champion Sean Sherk would throw his hat in the ring. That’s pure speculation, however, based on his injuries and first title defense against Hermes Franca slated for July 7 at UFC 72.

However, one would presume that if this is indeed accurate, all other 155-pounders in the UFC stable are fair game, including, BJ Penn, Joe Stevenson, Melvin Guillard, Roger Huerta, Spencer Fisher, Kenny Florian, Jens Pulver, Tyson Griffin, Frank Edgar, and all the other talented fighters in the loaded division.

(Note: Penn and Pulver are scheduled to fight one another on June 23 at the TUF 5 Finale, which might exclude one or both of them.)

While it’s not quite the “SuperBowl” of MMA that we’ve been promised, integrating UFC fighters into the 2007 PRIDE FC Lightweight Grand Prix would be an awesome idea.

And, a clear sign that even better things are to come.

Comment

Yeah, I was on Prides site the other week and noticed him on the banner. Not only that, but Matt Hughes was on it as well.

How the **** would those to make it to 155, loss of limbs would be the only way. Another interesting thing is the old lightweight of 160 was in place because Gomi couldn’t make 155, maybe his midget ass has to go to 170 now.

P.S. Looks like Hughes is smoking a pipe on the pamphlet lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Liaison View Post
        How the **** would those to make it to 155, loss of limbs would be the only way. Another interesting thing is the old lightweight of 160 was in place because Gomi couldn’t make 155, maybe his midget ass has to go to 170 now.

P.S. Looks like Hughes is smoking a pipe on the pamphlet lol.
        you may be right in Gomis case, but most guys should be able to shed off an extra 5 pounds, its not that much weight. Only when your already totally dry.

Comment

I'm curious if they keep it at their current 161 or whatever the LW division weighs. Still don't think Hughes has a chance to make that weight.

Comment

oh, you guys were talking about the welterweights trying to make 155. that'd be tough, unless they dont cut much weight to get to welter.

Comment

Originally posted by baserocks View Post
              oh, you guys were talking about the welterweights trying to make 155. that'd be tough, unless they dont cut much weight to get to welter.
              Hughes already cuts alot of weight to get to 170. Don't think he could make it.

Comment

Hughes aint gonna be fighting, i dont know why he is on the poster...just a poster boy i guess. Are ya reading the things i posted or not? Its all on there, Dana White said its the ufc LW at 155.

Comment

Originally posted by 2swell k-wells View Post
                  Hughes aint gonna be fighting, i dont know why he is on the poster...just a poster boy i guess. Are ya reading the things i posted or not? Its all on there, Dana White said its the ufc LW at 155.
                  He said most likely. Did give a definite answer. It could be an all encompassing 170- tournament too. There really aren't any answers since no fighters have been announced.

Comment

I think he would be more concerned with his championship match...but I dont know when that is taking place. Probably not for awhile...I would love to see Hughes in there somewhere, him and Sanchez would be huge.

Comment

Working...
                    X