No announcement yet.

NWO: Overrated Upsets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWO: Overrated Upsets

Reading some old articles and watching videos online about upsets in boxing, and I'm surprised by some of the entries of fans and media members. Some of them are more known and/or accepted, some are a little obscure, and some are clearly fanhood talking.

One of these is Moorer losing to Foreman. People were stunned by that at the time, and some people still are. I don't get it. Lesser punchers than Foreman decked Moorer before. The guy has heart, but not much of a chin. Foreman stopping him wasn't unimaginable.

Hopkins beating Trinidad. Trinidad was a dynamo south of 160, but stopping Joppy shouldn't have fooled people into thinking he could walk through Hopkins. Hopkins had been defending his belt for a few years. He was only underdog in the sense of being eclipsed in star power.

Comment

Speakin of Tito, I wasn't the least bit surprised when Winky fucked him up. He too good a defender to get KO'd by a pure power puncher. I remember the Ring article about it, wonderin if maybe Tito was makin a big mistake fuckin wit Winky. They had it spot on. Dude ain't learn his lesson either cuz he fought RJ at LHW FFS. Tito got a pattern of comin back and takin fights he can't win. He shoulda known his big hook wasn't gonna do shit against a lefty.

Comment

:blow:

Comment

Throw Sanders-Wlad in here too. Wlad was supposed to be a beast at the time, so everybody was shocked. Thing is, Sanders mighta been one of the most dangerous journeyman in boxing at the time. He hits hard, ain't afraid to be hit hard, and got a chin that can take bein hit hard. Leftys wit handspeed can give anybody hell. In fact, Sanders knockin out Wlad ain't necessarily prove that Wlad had a soft jaw; give that claim to Brewster. Sanders could KO a lotta ppl. I woulda given him a good shot of beatin LL in 02-03. That ain't a loss Wlad needs to be embarrassed about havin on his record.

Comment

Glenn Johnson over Roy Jones Jr. He did everything technically wrong. As soon as he lost even just one step he lost his superman status. It's not a shock somebody who hits as hard as Johnson could render him unconscious.

Also Green KOing Jones Jr. I had a feeling he was going to lose. Maybe not even that early but him moving up to crusierweight and taking a win before he fought Hopkins was far from cake. Especially as old as he is and how much slower he's gotten from the Johnson & Tarver KO's.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
              Glenn Johnson over Roy Jones Jr. He did everything technically wrong. As soon as he lost even just one step he lost his superman status. It's not a shock somebody who hits as hard as Johnson could render him unconscious.

Also Green KOing Jones Jr. I had a feeling he was going to lose. Maybe not even that early but him moving up to crusierweight and taking a win before he fought Hopkins was far from cake. Especially as old as he is and how much slower he's gotten from the Johnson & Tarver KO's.
              I was still shocked to see Glen KO RJ. I thought Tarver was a fluke. Glen don't hit that hard. he a decent fighter but was supposed to be a safe rebound fight. I give him more props for beatin RJ than Tarver.

I was surprised by RJ losin to Green, but nobody rated that shit. RJ was way past done.

Comment

And I seen ppl sayin Ortiz over Berto was a big upset. I don't get that at all.

So what if he moved up? It was a pick em fight, and Berto ain't look so hot in his lone kinda sorta step up fight wit Collazo a while back.

Comment

i thought this was some wrestling ****

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X