No announcement yet.

Nwahs_!!, yer opinion on Blackstone

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RAESAAD View Post
    I really only got about 10k thats not tied up that I can afford to buy anything with right now.These stocks with prices in the 100s a share are expensive.......does it matter how much you have to use when deciding what price range stocks you should buy?
    You need to ignore the price per share of the stock. That has no effect on the expensiveness of the stock.

This is a beginners mistake. People go looking for stocks that are "cheap" based on their price per share.

That is not how it is done.

when playing the stock market you need to look at percentages. When I am searching for stocks, I dont even look at the price, I dont even have the price shown on my screen. I just have percentages, their P/E ratio, and stuff like that.

a 50% gain is a 50% gain regardless if you have 1000 shares of something that is valued at $10 or 10 shares of something valued at $100.

Comment

That is not what my ticker says. My tickers shows that it has not moved at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Nwahs !! View Post
        You need to ignore the price per share of the stock. That has no effect on the expensiveness of the stock.

This is a beginners mistake. People go looking for stocks that are "cheap" based on their price per share.

That is not how it is done.

when playing the stock market you need to look at percentages. When I am searching for stocks, I dont even look at the price, I dont even have the price shown on my screen. I just have percentages, their P/E ratio, and stuff like that.

a 50% gain is a 50% gain regardless if you have 1000 shares of something that is valued at $10 or 10 shares of something valued at $100.
        Right on.....I've been told that before but have a hard time not taking it into consideration.

That is not what my ticker says. My tickers shows that it has not moved at all.
        Oh.....well I dunno.I just ****ed up and punched that in and thats what it showed.I thought you were a genious for a mintue there.....Now I just know you're a really sharp guy and still a mortal man.....lol

Comment

Mortal is right.

The reality is, about half of the stocks you pick are going to be duds. The key is to make sure the other half more than make up for them.

Which is why knowing when to sell is so important.

Comment

Mortal is right.

The reality is, about half of the stocks you pick are going to be duds. The key is to make sure the other half more than make up for them.
            Well I have limtied experience but have dabbled the past 5 years or so.I am much more interested and serious about it now than I was 5 years ago.I just turned 30 in November and am realizing I'm probably going to be around for a while and should start planning for the future better.I have most of my money tied up in sure things like a CD and the rest in a Money Market.I really want to try a couple things though and see what happens.Thats why I've been in this thread so much and reading the stuff your posting.You defintely know what your talking about.

Comment

Well usually, when the price is unrealistically high, I bought before it got that way.

For example, Take a look at COIN.

The area that I highlighted in green is an artificial high, it was created by traders bidding the price up well above where it should have been. I already owned the stock, so I took advantage of this, and sold near the top.

COIN has corrected itself, and is now at a place where I would buy it again, although I would like to see it go down a little bit more before I pick it up.

i'm assuming though that you sold off around half of that stock before the hyped increase, right?

Comment

Do you know anything about jabil Circuit? It's a local comapnay here in St. Pete.....a friend of mine says to buy it right now.Its symbol is jbl.Let me know your thoughts if you have time to check it out.

Comment

Well I have limtied experience but have dabbled the past 5 years or so.I am much more interested and serious about it now than I was 5 years ago.I just turned 30 in November and am realizing I'm probably going to be around for a while and should start planning for the future better.I have most of my money tied up in sure things like a CD and the rest in a Money Market.I really want to try a couple things though and see what happens.Thats why I've been in this thread so much and reading the stuff your posting.You defintely know what your talking about.

same reason why i started this thread (well that, and to see if Nwahs had any feeling that Blackstone's large holdings had potential to turn it's founder into the Antichrist).

i just turned 29, have already made and lost boatloads of $$, and want to do it right the next time. i've got some serious IRS problems and i'm not stupid enough to discuss them in detail. let's just say it'll be awhile before i'm in a financial surplus position. so, in the meantime, might as well do a good amount of research. in our 20s we can **** around. by the time the 30s hit, it's probably smart to start thinkin about **** like raising a family and eventually retiring....

Comment

I had the advantage of starting young, before I knew what the **** any of these market indicators were or what the **** the DJIA was.

I think it really was an advantage not knowing what I didn't know.

I just bought stocks in stuff that I liked.

I liked to play golf and I liked Calloway clubs so I bought so calloway. I liked to use Titlest balls so I bought some Fortune Brands (parent company of titlest).

I still use that same concept for most of my speculative trades. Thats how I came to Apple and Sony.

I loved my ipod, saw that everyone I knew was dying for an ipod.

I loved my psp, saw everyone was dying for a psp (although the psp seems to have fizzled) so I bought some sony.

I bought apple at $34 sold it at $90 about 3 years back, at the beginning of this year it was at $200 mainly thanks to how the ipod turned the company around.

Now its in the 150's and Im backing up the truck because I still love my ipod, and everyone still wants the latest and greatest ipod or the new iphone or whatever hip new gadget apple comes out with.

Comment

Do you know anything about jabil Circuit? It's a local comapnay here in St. Pete.....a friend of mine says to buy it right now.Its symbol is jbl.Let me know your thoughts if you have time to check it out.
                      Just took a quick glance, I don't like it. However, since it is in your town, its always worth the time to take a quick swing by and see if they have anything in the works that will turn their numbers around.

It might be good, but Im just not comfortable with a company like that.
                      If you want an electronics play like that I would recommend RVBD.

They have been getting hammered, but they are by far the best company in the industry.

Comment

Working...
                      X