Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green V Tarv ticket or **** it?

I'm in sydney and will have some cash.

Pass or buy and why?

If there are good undercards I don't mind it.

If its at Cruiser Tarver is going to have to come in to the fight in shape.

Tarver is highly skilled. If I lived in Sydney I would have no problem paying good money to watch an in shape Tarver. Even if he is past his best days.

Comment

Originally posted by Malius View Post
      I'm in sydney and will have some cash.

Pass or buy and why?

If there are good undercards I don't mind it.
      Undercard so far (Boxrec 17/5/11):

Dominic Vea v Shane Cameron
      Will Tomlinson v Francisco Cordero
      Naoufel Ben Rabah v Isaac Hlatshwayo
      Pieter Cronje v Mick King
      Steven Wills v Robert Toomey

Interestingly, Cordero is pencilled in to fight Jorge Linares next week. Even though I suspect it'll be a complete and utter beatdown by Jorge, it'll be a benchmark for Tomlinson to aspire to.

Not really fussed on Vea v Cameron. Seems to me that Green is lining up to take on the winner. No thanks.

It's a shame Cool Willie isn't on the card. He hasn't fought in nearly a year. Still, there's plenty of time to add more fights to the card.

*Edit, Just seen Ben Rabah is fighting too, and against a world rated opponent as well. I love watching Rabah, he is one slick customer.

Anyway, I'll be going to the fight. Boxing fans have to get their fix somehow....
      Last edited by Philfy; 05-18-2011, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Antonio Tarver is 42 years old. He's fought sporadically over the last few years. His only victory of late was against a nobody, 46 pounds above his best fighting weight. He looked terrible in victory. He looked mediocre at best in his two fights against Chad Dawson. In his last fight he appeared to injure his shoulder, or at least used that as an excuse for his piss-poor showing. He's a commentator for Showtime, and thus doesn't take his boxing as seriously as he once did. Or at least not as seriously as does, say, Bernard Hopkins.

Danny Green is coming off a health scare. The health scare appears to be part of the marketing campaign to convince punters this is a fight worth watching : "He's a has-been, but I'm getting off my death bed for this has-been." A convincing argument based on negatives. Look at the ticket prices. Look at Danny's last fight, where he played the counter-puncher in a snoozer against the untried BJ Flores. Look at what was before the Flores fight. Dare I bring up the Briggs fiasco?

Danny Green sells tickets all over Australia and can afford to bring the biggest fighters in the world to these shores. Anyone from 168 up would make the deal happen for the sort of pay day Green offers. For Tarver it's $1.5m.

Why would you bother going to a Danny Green fight against Antonio Tarver?

Comment

Working...
        X