• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green eyes RJJ

Green sizes up Jones as a warm-up for the Man

Jamie Pandaram
    March 11, 2008

DANNY GREEN plans to stage the biggest boxing event held in Australia by securing a home-town mega-bout with American Roy Jones jnr later this year.
    Having already been part of the most successful boxing promotion in this country with his 2006 fight against Anthony Mundine in Sydney, Green could surpass the record twice this year, with the Jones clash followed by a rematch with Mundine.
    Jones, the brash and charismatic former light-heavyweight world champion, would be the highest-profile name to fight in Australia. Some consider him the best fighter ever, although his powers have diminished in recent years .
    Still, he would pose an enormous threat to Green's WBA light-heavyweight title, which the Australian defends next month against mandatory challenger Hugo Garay of Argentina.
    Should Green get through Garay in Perth, he will look to host Jones in the same city - most likely at Subiaco Oval - and the fight would take place at 1am to accommodate the American audience.
    "Anything is possible," Green told the Herald. "After this fight [against Garay] I believe I can have two more fights this year, and I'm not ruling anything out."
    The Mundine rematch is believed to be tentatively locked in for the end of the year, so Green would face Jones in his next bout should he secure the deal.
    Jones showed signs of his best form in his latest outing against Felix Trinidad and has great speed, the weapon which allowed Mundine to defeat Green in their first encounter.
    "I am not looking past Garay," said Green (25-3, 22KO). "This fight will be straight up and down. He is just going to come in there and try to crush me."
    Garay (30-3, 17KO) is the No.1-ranked contender for Green's title while Jones is No.2. The Argentinean has a granite chin and power in both hands, but Green said: "He hasn't tasted my power yet. We'll see how he likes it."
    Green first saw Garay fighting at the Sydney Olympics, where both men were representing their countries.
    "The first thing I noticed about him then was that he was big and raw," Green said. "He is the same now but more refined and experienced.
    "He is very strong physically, and comes forward all the time."
    Green took a swipe at Mundine, who has easily defeated two previous Argentinean opponents.
    "Some people are going to think this is going to be an easy fight because certain other fighters have brought out no-names from Argentina who are nowhere near that level - not even close."
    Meanwhile, it has emerged that Nader Hamdan suffered a burst right eardrum during his action-packed loss to Mundine two weeks ago, and may require surgery. "It was some left hook," said Hamdan of the punch that shattered his ear.

that would be ****in insanly good for aussie boxing

Comment

even better than a nate and willie back row

Comment

Originally posted by mgkirkpatrick View Post
        even better than a nate and willie back row
        LOL.

Green is dreaming if he thinks he could get a fight with Jones in Perth let alone beat him.

Danny Green is the most fortunate fighter Australia has ever produced. Especially if you look at how much he gets paid compared to how skilled he actually is.
        Green would struggle to get on an ESPN card in the states if he was a local there.
        A Big Fish in a very small pond.

Comment

all true all true.

and i still think green would lose to RJJ even now. as stiff as green is he'll never be able to get near as fluid a fighter as roy.. even in his depleted state

Comment

I thought Green had had more fights than that.

Mundine V Green II shouldn't happen for at least another 3-4 years in my opinion. It'd be better if they had it at the end of their careers.

Comment

mundine is 32 and green is 34.. dont think these suckas have another 3-4

Comment

Originally posted by brently1979 View Post
                LOL.

Green is dreaming if he thinks he could get a fight with Jones in Perth let alone beat him.

Danny Green is the most fortunate fighter Australia has ever produced. Especially if you look at how much he gets paid compared to how skilled he actually is.
                Green would struggle to get on an ESPN card in the states if he was a local there.
                A Big Fish in a very small pond.
                Agreed, i dont dislike green, but he wants to fight Jones and then choc again? he must not like winning very much

Comment

Green couldn't catch Mundine let alone catch and beat Roy Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by angus the bull View Post
                    Green couldn't catch Mundine let alone catch and beat Roy Jones.
                    Watch Round 8. About a minute into it on slow motion. Mundine does his RJJ impersonations and Danny lands a beautiful and perfect right hand. He actually did land.

But on the subject of RJJ. I can't see him lasting more than 6 rounds against Danny. If the Hanshaw and Tito fights have made you believe again, thats worrying.

RJJ is old now. He doesn't have good stamina. Green won't let him stay on the ropes.

Green TKO and im going to put a lot of money on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X