No announcement yet.

Australia as a republic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia as a republic

ok fellow aussies...if we had to vote tomorrow, would you vote for or against us becoming a republic? I personally would vote FOR a republic. We dont really have much to do with the monarchy, we are closer to the americans then we are the british and i think its time we made our own identity as a nation. HOWEVER, i think if we did go to vote, we would still end up as part of the commonwealth because if i have ever seen any trends in australians, it is that they hate change.

Atleast if we became a rupublic it would give other nations a reason to turn up for the commonwealth games hehe.
    Yes
    55.56%
    No
    22.22%
    Whats a republic?
    22.22%

Originally posted by infestacide View Post
    ok fellow aussies...if we had to vote tomorrow, would you vote for or against us becoming a republic? I personally would vote FOR a republic. We dont really have much to do with the monarchy, we are closer to the americans then we are the british and i think its time we made our own identity as a nation. HOWEVER, i think if we did go to vote, we would still end up as part of the commonwealth because if i have ever seen any trends in australians, it is that they hate change.

Atleast if we became a rupublic it would give other nations a reason to turn up for the commonwealth games hehe.
    Will always vote yes to any referendum on a republic in Australia.

Comment

As a Englishman...you're not going anywhere...now sit down and shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyb View Post
        As a Englishman...you're not going anywhere...now sit down and shut up.
        Hahaha.

Mickey woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Comment

JOKE! JOKE!!

In honesty - if you want to go, you should go.

But i don't think it'd make much difference would it?! I mean, your entirely independant now, govern yourselves for many, many years.

The thing that connects us is mainly tradition and a corner of your flag. Other than that - you are a republic, except in name only. What the commonwealth does bring us is a duty to care for each other in alliances... and easy access for your nationals to live here, and vice versa.

But then again - if i was a proud ozzy, i'd proberbly vote for the change - and thats as a Queen loving Brit.

Comment

at the end of the day i think id vote to become a republic. fair point not much would change and we wouldnt get to go the com games. but i like the idea of having complete independence.. we've obviously forged our own identity and no one sees us a british outpost so lets make it official.

Comment

I think it'll be important for the economy and international trade. When the queen goes overseas she promotes British companies and British trade, not Australian interests, so that kind of sucks.

Comment

Working...
              X