No announcement yet.

Mundine makes US debut

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mundine makes US debut

ANTHONY MUNDINE is set to make his US debut on the undercard of January's showdown between Roy Jones jnr and Felix Trinidad at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Jones's father, Roy Jones snr, who trained Mundine for his fights against Mikkel Kessler and Danny Green, has raised the possibility with the WBA super-middleweight champion, who will make a final decision after his December 10 bout with Argentina's Jose Alberto Clavero.

After a four-month lay-off thanks to the serious eye infection that threatened his career, Mundine is keen to get as many fights under his belt as possible to make up for the lost time before anticipated big bouts next year against the likes of Green, Kessler or Joe Calzaghe.

Mundine is planning to train with Jones jnr in the lead-up to his January 19 clash with Trinidad and confirmed there was a possibility he may also feature on the undercard.

"I'm not sure yet if I will be on the card. We haven't had that confirmed, but it would be good to do," Mundine said at Fairfax's Sports Performer of the Year awards on Wednesday. "I'm thinking about going at the start of the year to train for three weeks with Roy and then going to the fight."

Fellow Australian Kali Meehan is also hopeful of fighting on the undercard against WBA heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev.

The Jones-Trinidad bout is one of the most anticipated of 2008 - and not just because of the pair's enormous reputations.

Jones, an eight-time world champion, was the first former middleweight champion to win a world heavyweight title in more than a century and also held super-middleweight and light-heavyweight belts, while Trinidad is a five-time world champion, with titles in the welterweight, junior-middleweight and middleweight divisions.

Another ring legend, Bernard Hopkins, wants to fight the winner - and has indicated he will knock back a bout with Calzaghe to do so - but Jones has offered to take on the 35-year-old Welshman if he beats Trinidad.

Mundine also wants to fight Calzaghe after his defeat of Kessler in Cardiff earlier this month, although he still rates the 27-year-old Dane the better boxer. "I believe Kessler is the better fighter, but he didn't execute the right fight," Mundine said. "He tried to knock him out every punch and it took away from his boxing ability. Calzaghe threw a volume of shots and boxed better on the night but, overall, I think Kessler is the superior fighter. Maybe he thought he had to knock him out, but all credit goes to Calzaghe. I've just got to continue to win and make a noise and sooner or later he's going to have to fight me."

While Hopkins is his preferred opponent, Calzaghe has revealed that a UK super fight with IBF light-heavyweight champion Clinton Woods is another option.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Yawn! Mundine's been saying this for over 4 years now. Yawn

Comment

its a shame he didn't stick with boxing to begin with hes obviously got talent, mundine-lacy would be a good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by oovavu View Post
          its a shame he didn't stick with boxing to begin with hes obviously got talent, mundine-lacy would be a good fight.
          True, but Anthony won't be fighting anyone of any note anytime soon. Because, he knows he can't beat any top names out there. The guy has lost every time he faced his best opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by brently1979 View Post
            True, but Anthony won't be fighting anyone of any note anytime soon. Because, he knows he can't beat any top names out there. The guy has lost every time he faced his best opposition.
            as much as i agree, i still think he beats lacy lol

Comment

Originally posted by brently1979 View Post
              I agree with you that he won't step up. But i totally disagree he can't beat top level opposition. Sure he has lost every time he stepped up, but he is at his peak now, im sure of that, and hes a lot better fighter last time he fought Kessler. Im not saying he would beat Kessler because i don't think he would. But i definetely think he beats Lacy and for that matter he also beats Bute.

In the middleweight division, he has a chance against Abraham and Sturm, but would need to knock them out cause its in Germany. Pavlik, well Kelly is the extreme favourite as in the Kessler fight and Mundine would have to prove himself to think otherwise.

My point is, yes its all hyperthetical, last time he fought Kessler he fought okay. But since then he is a much better fighter. So much so i can only see Kessler in super middleweight and Pavlik in middleweight as the only two he can't beat, on a night that he fights well.

The shame is hes not going to fight these big names. Not because he knows he will get beaten. But because he has no heart. I wish someone like Soliman had the talent Mundine has, we would have a pound for pound ranked fighter at the moment. Mundine=No heart = fighting cab drivers.

P.S he will take the WBA light heavy title from D Green. And he will be a world champion for a 3rd time.

Comment

Mundine is NOT a two time World champ. He is a two time PAPER CHAMP! First time round Ottke was WBA champ and Kessler was WBA champ second time round. If you want to be called the REAL Champ you gotta unify all major ALPHABET belts or Ring Magazine belt or both. Ring Magazine belt is only REAL credible belt. Mundine turned down a VERY lucrative League career and Mundine had huge potential to go down as one of the 'All-Time' Greats. He took a huge risk giving an established rugby career away to start from scratch again in doing Boxing. I find it quite amusing that the only sparring Mundine did in preperation for Ottke was with Tony Snr! No wonder Ottke Ko'd him!!! LOL He hasn't been active for a while which is a setback and vision in his eye will never be 100% which could be a huge difference whether he sees that hook coming for his chin or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunswick Assassin View Post
                  Mundine is NOT a two time World champ. He is a two time PAPER CHAMP! First time round Ottke was WBA champ and Kessler was WBA champ second time round. If you want to be called the REAL Champ you gotta unify all major ALPHABET belts or Ring Magazine belt or both. Ring Magazine belt is only REAL credible belt. Mundine turned down a VERY lucrative League career and Mundine had huge potential to go down as one of the 'All-Time' Greats. He took a huge risk giving an established rugby career away to start from scratch again in doing Boxing. I find it quite amusing that the only sparring Mundine did in preperation for Ottke was with Tony Snr! No wonder Ottke Ko'd him!!! LOL He hasn't been active for a while which is a setback and vision in his eye will never be 100% which could be a huge difference whether he sees that hook coming for his chin or not.
                  I wrote in to the WBA and asked them about this a while back. Although you have a point with the paper titles, i got a reply saying "he has every right to call himself a 2 time world champion". Even so.

But back to the point. I expect him to fight bums and for this US debut to not be true. But the shame is he obviously has the talent to be a world force in boxing, but has no balls to utilize it.

Great timing, speed and raw power. His chin has strengthened a lot, his defence well to me its the second best in the world, the way he rolls his shoulder was old school RJJ, but now the current RJJ can't even do it like Anthony can.

Im not buying his PPV but im definetely interested to see who he fights next. I hope its someone big in the USA. And then he can take down Green, maybe even in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimateboxa View Post
                    I wrote in to the WBA and asked them about this a while back. Although you have a point with the paper titles, i got a reply saying "he has every right to call himself a 2 time world champion". Even so.

But back to the point. I expect him to fight bums and for this US debut to not be true. But the shame is he obviously has the talent to be a world force in boxing, but has no balls to utilize it.

Great timing, speed and raw power. His chin has strengthened a lot, his defence well to me its the second best in the world, the way he rolls his shoulder was old school RJJ, but now the current RJJ can't even do it like Anthony can.

Im not buying his PPV but im definetely interested to see who he fights next. I hope its someone big in the USA. And then he can take down Green, maybe even in America.
                    This hasn't been tested, Kessler didn't hit him flush in their fight.

Ult, keeping the "MAN'S" dream a live.

Yeah, sure Mundine can call himself a two time world champ, but is he really.

Ndou can call himself a former champ, but we all know he never really was a real World Champ.

Mundine won a belt by beating Sam Soliman, a belt, which shouldn't even be a title since the WBA has another world Champion. Mundine's world Title's are a joke and you know it.

Comment

Working...
                    X