No announcement yet.

ban boxing: article

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ban boxing: article

The following article appeared in the Melb Sunday Herald Sun and was written by Robyn Riley.

For those of you that are interested, in part she says;

I'VE long considered boxing a throwback to the Dark Ages when human life had little value.

Seeing Evander Holyfield stumble aimlessly while taking a battering did nothing to change my mind.

Yesterday, Holyfield turned 45 and still refuses to retire. You must wonder about a society that condones boxing.

It survives because of TV and big bucks. With an election coming up, it would be nice if someone was brave enough to ban the sport. Any takers?

Although she is entitled to her opinion, and she can write whatever she wants in her weekly column, doesn't mean we cant voice our disapproval at her biased and uninformed comments.

For those of you that love throwing a bit of **** around on the forum why dont you direct your attentions to Robyn at rileyr@heraldsun.com.au

that was directly copied from another forum. i HATE stupid ****s who know nothing about our sport bashing it because no one will say they shouldnt.

drop her some hate mail if you can be bothered boys

WHOEVER WRITES THE BEST LETTER TO HER WINS A GIFT FROM THE GIFT SHOP
    Last edited by mgkirkpatrick; 10-23-2007, 06:20 AM.

I think i will actually... i got nothing much else to do this dinner hour.

Comment

haha champion mickey.

if you do end up post a copy in here for a laugh

Comment

robyn, your article on the place of boxing in our society was nothing but ignorant gutter journalism. If you're going to make comments about holyfield's performance you might want to consider the fact that some people might have seen the fight and would know that he didnt 'take a battering'. He was in great shape and lost a respectable points decision to a world champion. If you want to type utter ****e about a sport why dont you have a crack at motor racing? Peter Brock was pretty old when he died crashing into a tree. Speaking of motor racing here's a stat for you, 3 people died boxing last year, while 77 died in motor sports. What would you say about a society that condones that? I love the way you talk about boxing surviving because of TV and big bucks, do you know what the best australian champions get paid per fight? about 5 grand if they're lucky. Dont you think it would have been better to do some research rather than going off what you saw in 'Rocky'?

Comment

Originally posted by mgkirkpatrick View Post
          robyn, your article on the place of boxing in our society was nothing but ignorant gutter journalism. If you're going to make comments about holyfield's performance you might want to consider the fact that some people might have seen the fight and would know that he didnt 'take a battering'. He was in great shape and lost a respectable points decision to a world champion. If you want to type utter ****e about a sport why dont you have a crack at motor racing? Peter Brock was pretty old when he died crashing into a tree. Speaking of motor racing here's a stat for you, 3 people died boxing last year, while 77 died in motor sports. What would you say about a society that condones that? I love the way you talk about boxing surviving because of TV and big bucks, do you know what the best australian champions get paid per fight? about 5 grand if they're lucky. Dont you think it would have been better to do some research rather than going off what you saw in 'Rocky'?

Banning boxing? Do you know their are more head injuries in soccer than amateur boxing (which has 5 times more contestants than professional boxing). How bout you do some research before you write away trying to attract viewers. Your article is more likely to be banned then boxing. Go ask Danny Green or Mundine if boxing should be banned. Then ridicule their 8 hour a day training sessions. You obviously haven't played sport in your life so your jealous and want to take away everyones chances of glory.

Finally i will conclude by reiterating my point of confusion, in how you got a job with the herald sun and more importantly why they let you write for them. I hope you have a nice time finding a new job.

A good journalist researches the topic. You have done no research. And the answer is pretty clear how good of a journalist you are.

(sent it to her 7 minutes ago).

Comment

lol knew you'd be up for it ultimate. nice work

Comment

Originally posted by mgkirkpatrick View Post
              Nice work mgkirkpatrick! This one is definitely for the archives!

Comment

haha cheers man. now lets hear what you're sending her ?

Comment

it took me some time to think of a way i could best put my opinion and all boxing fans opinions forward with both class and dignity... so this is what i come up with.

Dear Robyn,

YOUR A DUMB ****

Ben.

Comment

"I am writing a response to your ‘Ban Boxing’ article and it seems that your comments are very biased and uninformed. People are attracted to boxing by large amounts of money. You should understand that where there’s large amounts of money involved, there will inevitably be large risks associated with it such as financial health, personal health or responsibility. It’s the individual’s choice whether or not to take up Boxing as a profession so let them make that decision! The only reason there are calls to ban the sport are because it is high profile, how often do we see pictures of injured or killed show jumpers or jockeys? And don’t forget Robyn that the sport of Boxing was invented for the so
                    called civilised gentry in the days when family and social values were at their most strict. Let’s say for arguments sake that Boxing does get banned, wouldn’t forcing the sport underground almost certainly cause more injuries in what would be an unregulated sport? Have you ever sat down to watch a Boxing bout? If you have you’ll realise that there are Doctors in each fighter’s corner that check the fighter’s state of health at the end of each round and determine whether or not they’re able to continue. If not, the referee automatically stops the fight even if his corner is jumping up and down!"

Although it does kinda pi** me off sometimes that fights are stopped too early todays refs should take the same approach as the Old School refs like the ref during the Tunney v Greb war where Tunney copped a horrendous beating off Greb having his the whole right side of his face swollen from the temple all the way down to the chin!

Comment

Working...
                    X