No announcement yet.

I finally got relaxation in my punches after many years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got relaxation in my punches after many years

My coach in 2018 said I was strong but tense....and I really tried months on end to eradicate it to no effect.

Then I stopped training for a couple of years...

I went back to boxing sporadically on and off in my home to try and overwrite the stiffness, but not until now is THE tensing gone in the arms.

I was from a Karate/TaeKwonDo background and I believe it was all that awful muscle memory of doing stiff kata posing that messed me up.

I'm not going a 100% here but you can see that my arms are relaxed, finally!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WlTyaC...=3&pp=gAQBiAQB
    Last edited by Tanakasensei; 09-20-2023, 05:50 PM.

Did you guys struggle with tensing as beginners?

was it conflicting muscle memory from Karate that I had or was it a mental block?

Comment

You simply had to see what you were dealing with.

You want your mind to be relaxed, not your punches.

Just let those fists go.

Be sure to get into the kind of shape where you could throw for every second of every round, if you have to.

If you do this your mind will be even more at ease.

With your video, why do you throw punches with an open hand?

And finish your shots.

You are visibly too tense in your movements, you gotta just let the punches flow.

Also, I would say that you were looking for speed over correct technique.

Learn to throw your punches properly before looking to be the next Malignaggi.

Slow it down and throw them correctly.

If you stick with it and put your mind to it, you will find the balance with your speed and power............Rockin'
      Last edited by Rockin'; 09-21-2023, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        You simply had to see what you were dealing with.

You want your mind to be relaxed, not your punches.

Just let those fists go.

Be sure to get into the kind of shape where you could throw for every second of every round, if you have to.

If you do this your mind will be even more at ease.

With your video, why do you throw punches with an open hand?

And finish your shots.

You are visibly too tense in your movements, you gotta just let the punches flow.

Also, I would say that you were looking for speed over correct technique.

Learn to throw your punches properly before looking to be the next Malignaggi.

Slow it down and throw them correctly.

If you stick with it and put your mind to it, you will find the balance with your speed and power............Rockin'
        ​​​​​​It wasn't a good clip. I had low energy. But it's getting there...

I think I can do a pretty impressive display for y'all in a couple of months
        I was told to Shadow box with open hands for relaxation.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanakasensei View Post

​​​​​​It wasn't a good clip. I had low energy. But it's getting there...

I think I can do a pretty impressive display for y'all in a couple of months
          I was told to Shadow box with open hands for relaxation.
          What is low energy?

And false, you make a solid fist and then you throw it.

Your gaurd hand is open and your lead is stoically fisted and ready to fire.

You'll end up with some hand injuries if you shadow box with an open hand.

You'll say, yeah whatever....

I tell you from experience.

The hand injuries that you are inviting are for life, they'll never go away.

Your hands are possibly the most fragile bones of your body.

Take care of those funkers and close that lead hand.

I offer this to the forum. Can you tell what it is about boxing that is relaxing?

Except for in between the bells regaining your oxygen as best you can..............Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 09-21-2023, 09:01 PM.

Comment

What is low energy?

And false, you make a solid fist and then you throw it.

Your gaurd hand is open and your lead is stoically fisted and ready to fire.

You'll end up with some hand injuries if you shadow box with an open hand.

You'll say, yeah whatever....

I tell you from experience.

The hand injuries that you are inviting are for life, they'll never go away.

Your hands are possibly the most fragile bones of your body.

Take care of those funkers and close that lead hand.

I offer this to the forum. Can you tell what it is about boxing that is relaxing?

Except for in between the bells regaining your oxygen as best you can..............Rockin'

​​​​​Maybe I remember it foggy... Should the fist be totally closed?

Comment

​​​​​Maybe I remember it foggy... Should the fist be totally closed?
              What reason would you have to leave it open, unless you are Marlon Starling? ................Rockin'

Comment

What reason would you have to leave it open, unless you are Marlon Starling? ................Rockin'
                I meant should they tight? Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

I'll post a new clip. I'm getting cardio back . I can use a jab an entire session and dominate.. I don't need any other shot.

So based on that I could have done okey or very well in boxing.

​​​​​
                Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Here's a Roy jones-ish double Jab closed..

..https://youtu.be/2sVIqo50egU?si=fABrWGbd9tyviFWh
                  Thanks again for the warning about the ✋ I should have known better...
                  Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Here's a Roy jones-ish double Jab closed..

..https://youtu.be/2sVIqo50egU?si=fABrWGbd9tyviFWh
                    Thanks again for the warning about the ✋ I should have known better...
                    I'd be under that.

Raise your elbow, like that while you jab, and I'll see it every time, before you've even thrown it. I'm under your jab and digging a righthand into your ribs.

I call people who do that birds.

Rest your jab elbow on your hip and let a few go from there. Do not put your elbow out while you're throwing it. It's just a downward motion from your elbow.

And the fist comes out like a cork screw ending with your fist being parallel to the horizon, basically a 180'.

Don't be a bird and fly away.

.................Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 09-22-2023, 06:28 PM.
                    PowaPlaya YoungKingJulian likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X