No announcement yet.

Documentary: The Small-Town Case That Birthed a Movement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentary: The Small-Town Case That Birthed a Movement

Just a few days after this year’s historic Latino vote in the midterm elections, PBS’s Independent Lens debuts “The Longoria Affair,” a documentary set to warm the cockles of your empowered heart.

In 1949, the body of decorated Mexican-American war hero Felix Longoria was sent home to Three Rivers, TX for burial. But when Longoria’s widow went to the town’s only funeral home, she was told she wouldn’t be able to hold a wake in its chapel. “The whites wouldn’t like it,” the funeral director said.

Watch the full episode. See more Independent Lens.

The Longoria Affair, as it came to be called, outraged Latino veterans and became front-page news across the country. It also bonded two wily public figures—newly elected Senator Lyndon Johnson and activist Dr. Héctor García—in a relationship that would make Latinos into a significant voting block for the first time, help elect John F. Kennedy to the White House, and ultimately lead to Johnson’s signature on the most important civil rights legislation of the 20th century.

The documentary retells the story—and reveals that, in Three Rivers, old wounds have not yet healed.

I book marked that link and will watch the video shortly. There are so many horror stories from that era much to the shame of the powers that be from back then. My own dad (a Puerto Rican) fought in the South Pacific during WW II. On his return home to Brooklyn, NY he tried to get a job as a dock worker but was told ''NO SPICKS!'' to his face. That's some gratitude, huh?

Comment

You know thank goodness I have never really experienced racism, it just bugs me out how latinos hate on latinos. Im sure it does happen racism towards latinos, but it never happened in my face. Im all against racism, when I got out the Army I invited my black friend to my area and people were discriminating towards him and wanted to jump him and I was there to back him up to the fullest. I don't really like any type of racism, but I do respond to any comments. Sterotypes are accepted by many and alot of them are to the tee, but still not ok. TBH I would try to stop any act of any hate crime against whomever of any race, even if its going against my own.

Comment

I always received ***** for being white in the hood. Iam Puerto Rican with French. Now since Iam older, I find out that everybody knows who I'am and hates on me because the government is using me as a gimme pig. All crazy ****, I'am quite shocked at this devoplment in my lyfe, I dont understand why we just can't be....

Comment

I feel a racist injustice as happened to me, and its increible how sad it is in reality, to findd out you got the shaft in your life because your nationailty. It just sucks, and theres nothing you can do about it, and than you die....

Comment

Working...
          X