No announcement yet.

Greatest MC of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
    bro, I think we are misunderstanding each other here.

The studio version of I Am...was not a good album. It did have great tracks (NY State of Mind 2, Favor for a Favor, Nas is Like, Undying Love) but that was not the original version of the album. The original version of I Am...that was recorded was a double album that was highly praised. It was never released though because it got bootlegged so badly, so Nas went back into the lab and made a bunch of brand new filler tracks which made the album wack

EDIT - A lot of the tracks that got cut are on Lost Tapes, actually. Doo Rags, Fetus, No Idea's Original and Blaze a 50 come to mind.
    Ah ok, well that doesnt change the fact i think his body of work is weak and in terms of GOAT hes not even close to Rakim etc
    If he was on a goat p4p list he'd be between 6-10 imo. sorry bud.
    Heres a classic canuck track as way of a apology:

Comment

oh well, agree to disagree then. No hate.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Rakim. I said a few pages ago that the game was changed when Paid in Full dropped.

That said, Rakim hasn't been active in over a decade (has he released anything since he left Aftermath?) so it's tough to call him the GOAT. He's more legend status than active GOAT at least.

that said, I am a little dumbfounded that Kane and Kool G Rap only have 1 vote a piece. Kool G Rap is one of the most underrated emcees alive.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
        oh well, agree to disagree then. No hate.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Rakim. I said a few pages ago that the game was changed when Paid in Full dropped.

That said, Rakim hasn't been active in over a decade (has he released anything since he left Aftermath?) so it's tough to call him the GOAT. He's more legend status than active GOAT at least.

that said, I am a little dumbfounded that Kane and Kool G Rap only have 1 vote a piece. Kool G Rap is one of the most underrated emcees alive.
        I wouldnt want him to release anything now lol, dude is in his 50's + hip hop is pretty much dead, theres some decent new stuff released every now and then but i have enough mixtapes and underground mixes and albums from the golden age that i dont even need to bother to check new stuff.

I agree about kane and kool g, but considering he has 0 votes and in general doesnt get much props whenever this kind of conversation arises is OC, jewelz and word life are classics + all the stuff he did with DITC...

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
          I wouldnt want him to release anything now lol, dude is in his 50's + hip hop is pretty much dead, theres some decent new stuff released every now and then but i have enough mixtapes and underground mixes and albums from the golden age that i dont even need to bother to check new stuff.

I agree about kane and kool g, but considering he has 0 votes and in general doesnt get much props whenever this kind of conversation arises is OC, jewelz and word life are classics + all the stuff he did with DITC...
          the last track I remember was R.A.K.I.M back in the 2000's. He was still in his 40's and he was still fire on that track. Watcher 2 with Jigga and Dre too.

Comment

did you not hear this then??

Comment

of course, Just forgot it Existed lol

I know Rakim came back for a period in the early 00's and signed with Aftermath and I was super excited. Reason he left is apparently Dre kept pushing him to drop gangata bars, and Rakim straight refused saying it wasn't his style..

If true, even more respect to a legend who walked away from that deal just to stay true to himself.

Comment

I'll drop some more knowledge on my man Nas. Like I mentioned, the original "I Am..." album was titled "I Am...The Autobiography" and there was no plans on Nastradamus. it was a double album that he scrapped at the last minute due to bootlegs. It would have been classic status. Here's the tracklist.

1. Fetus (Belly Button Window)
                2. NY State Of Mind Pt. II
                3. Life Is What You Make It
                4. Small World
                5. Hardest Thing To Do Is Stay Alive
                6. Poppa Was a Playa
                7. Nas Is Like
                8. Blaze A 50
                9. Favor For A Favor (Feat. Scarface)
                10. We Will Survive
                11. Some Of Us Have Angels
                12. Project Windows (Feat. Ron Isley)
                13. Day Dreaming, Stay Scheming
                14. Sometimes I Wonder
                15. Undying Love

disc 2

1. After Life (Intro)
                2. Amongst Kings
                3. Life We Chose
                4. Drunk By Myself
                5. Pray
                6. God Love Us
                7. Ghetto Prisoners
                8. Last Words
                9. Family (Feat. Mobb Deep)
                10. Come Get Me
                11. Find Your Wealth
                12. U Gotta Love It
                13. Wanna Play Rough
                14. The Rise And Fall
                15. My Worst Enemy

To those who remember, at the end of undying love, he died in a shootout with police. Here is an unreleased track that was supposed to open up disc 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcm9GS4n_VQ

(yeah it's no secret i don't know how to embed youtube videos. Come at me brah)

Comment

Elzhi......

From your list, prolly Rakim

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Mashdown View Post
                    Elzhi......

From your list, prolly Rakim
                    Elzhi better than Rakim? thats the shovel speaking m8

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                      Elzhi better than Rakim? thats the shovel speaking m8
                      Obviously other rappers have larger bodies of work but for me, Elzhi is the don. Black Thought is up there as well!

Comment

Working...
                      X