Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAY Z BLUEPRINT 3 sells 465,000 copies IN FIRST WEEK NEW HIPHOP SALES ALBUM

CLICK HERE TO READ

very good numbers.

proves that jay is still in the top 3 most relevant rappers.

1.) lil wayne a milli first week
    2.) eminem 680,000 first week
    3.) jay-z 465,000 first week

Comment

Originally posted by DA TRUTHSTA View Post
      very good numbers.

Do you seriously believe sales numbers equate to one's relevancy in the world of hip hop? To me all this means is Jay-Z is popular and many people buy his albums because of this popularity. To be successful in the rap game one must rap about things that are irrelevant to most of us who reach success in life via an education, school and hard work. NO RAPPER IS RELEVANT outside of hip hop in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Wukillabeez78 View Post
        Do you seriously believe sales numbers equate to one's relevancy in the world of hip hop? To me all this means is Jay-Z is popular and many people buy his albums because of this popularity. To be successful in the rap game one must rap about things that are irrelevant to most of us who reach success in life via an education, school and hard work. NO RAPPER IS RELEVANT outside of hip hop in my opinion.

Popularity is not a trait. And I would agree that sales equate to one's relevancy. How else could you measure if someone was still important in the business of Hip Hop music? Concert ticket sales, album sales, downloads...etc.

It is something that is acquired through people liking what you do.

As far as the part of your statement in bold...

That statement couldn't be further from the truth. There are plenty of rappers with content who are successful, and rap about things that most of us can relate to.

Comment

very good numbers.

1.5 Wayne got the first week. Makes a bigger difference, 500k more.

Comment

Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
            Popularity is not a trait. And I would agree that sales equate to one's relevancy. How else could you measure if someone was still important in the business of Hip Hop music? Concert ticket sales, album sales, downloads...etc.

It is something that is acquired through people liking what you do.

As far as the part of your statement in bold...

That statement couldn't be further from the truth. There are plenty of rappers with content who are successful, and rap about things that most of us can relate to.
            I never said popularity was a trait. Popularity is subjective and can be based on many factors. Jay-z's popularity stems from him being the most commercially recognized rapper in the game right now. He's crossed over from being just a rapper to being a music artist that is accepted and known by a much wider audience than your regular rapper. With that being said album sales still don't prove one's relevancy in hip hop. Jay sales albums because of his populartiy and because he appeals to a wider spectrum of people than any other rapper right now. Is Soulja Boy more relevant than Rakim because his last album sold more than Rakim's last album? Or did his album sale because he found a niche audience through his faddish, little kiddie, sing along songs? I feel it's the latter because he won't be able to maintain consistent album sales for any length of time.

How do I measure who I feel is still relevant or successful in rap? I measure it by the critical acclaim an artist's new album generates. Do those who review the album (including me) like it or hate it? There are plenty of artists that sale well but are panned by the critics (Soulja Boy for example). That's why I don't feel rappers are relevant outside of hip hop, because how someone feels about their album is just as subjective as how someone views success. Your last statement might be true for you but it's certainly not true for about 99% of the people who buy rap albums. It's already been shown that the actual people who buy rap music have virtutually nothing in common with the artists. 99% of the buying public purchases rap music because they find the content to be thrilling and exciting compared to their lives. They are fascinated by the lifestyle being portrayed and use the album as a window to view that lifestyle. Whether I relate to what the rapper is saying or not doesn't matter to me because it's just entertainment. I don't buy an album because I identify with the artist who made it or because his life was just like mine. I buy it for my own, personal subjective reasons.

Comment

very good numbers.

Wayne will not get anywhere close to that milli again... In fact I'd put points up right now to say Relapse 2 would out sell anything Wayne put out this year. That includes a Carter 4 album... The economy was much better when Wayne sold his milli... He came out in what May or June last year? The bottom didnt fall out on the economy until mid september... and I think there are a lot of people that used to like Wayne, but wont go out and buy his albums now. The guy saturated the market with himself... I dont think Wayne is done, but his numbers on his next album will be in line with BP3. Mabye even less....

Comment

465k people that like bad music not suprised

Comment

raekwon opened at 65,000...nice. hopefully he hits gold.

Comment

album sales have nothing to do with quality. period.

Comment

Working...
                    X