No announcement yet.

Large Professor Reacts To Illmatic Being Turned To Book

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Professor Reacts To Illmatic Being Turned To Book

Hip Hop scholar, author and activist Dr. Michael Eric Dyson announced yesterday that he is currently writing a book on Nas' debut album Illmatic. The 1994 release received the coveted five mic rating from The Source magazine, and is considered by many, to be the greatest single Hip Hop album of all times.

"Every song on Illmatic will be analyzed, interpreted and then re-articulated in a kind of intellectual sense from his own base in Hip Hop and we’re trying to deal with that seriously," Dyson told AllHipHop.com Wednesday.

Late Wednesday, Nas' mentor, and producer of three of the album's 10 tracks, Large Professor, spoke on the significance of his work going from the musical to the literary world.

"It means a lot. That’s what we were working for though," revealed the musical creator of "Halftime," "One Time 4 Your Mind" and "It Ain't Hard To Tell," two of which were album singles. Large Professor added to HipHopDX, "It’s finally paying off. It was a lot of hard work put into getting that album how it was – even getting Nas to that point. It’s finally payin’ off. Sometimes it’s a delayed reaction with things. Back in the days, my father would tell me, ‘You’re ahead of your time.’ I didn’t know what that meant. Sometimes that’s a good thing and a bad thing. You get a grasp on it, and you understand what it is, and you realize it."

From first appearing on 1991's "Live At The Barbeque" from Large Professor's then-group Main Source, the unit spent nearly three years readying the debut, which finally achieved platinum status a decade later in 2004. "That was a lot of power, a lot of energy that went into that. That wasn’t just that was years in the making. The power is there. It’s still alive.”

According to Amazon, Dyson's book, formerly titled Born To Use Mics: Reading Nas' Illmatic, is planned for January 2009 publication on Basic Civitas Books.

Presently, Large Professor - now recording as "Large Pro," is releasing Main Source September 23 on Gold Dust Media. The album's intro "The Entrance," can be heard.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...turned-to-book

Originally posted by lefhooktodabody View Post
    Hip Hop scholar, author and activist Dr. Michael Eric Dyson announced yesterday that he is currently writing a book on Nas' debut album Illmatic. The 1994 release received the coveted five mic rating from The Source magazine, and is considered by many, to be the greatest single Hip Hop album of all times.

"Every song on Illmatic will be analyzed, interpreted and then re-articulated in a kind of intellectual sense from his own base in Hip Hop and we’re trying to deal with that seriously," Dyson told AllHipHop.com Wednesday.

Late Wednesday, Nas' mentor, and producer of three of the album's 10 tracks, Large Professor, spoke on the significance of his work going from the musical to the literary world.

"It means a lot. That’s what we were working for though," revealed the musical creator of "Halftime," "One Time 4 Your Mind" and "It Ain't Hard To Tell," two of which were album singles. Large Professor added to HipHopDX, "It’s finally paying off. It was a lot of hard work put into getting that album how it was – even getting Nas to that point. It’s finally payin’ off. Sometimes it’s a delayed reaction with things. Back in the days, my father would tell me, ‘You’re ahead of your time.’ I didn’t know what that meant. Sometimes that’s a good thing and a bad thing. You get a grasp on it, and you understand what it is, and you realize it."

From first appearing on 1991's "Live At The Barbeque" from Large Professor's then-group Main Source, the unit spent nearly three years readying the debut, which finally achieved platinum status a decade later in 2004. "That was a lot of power, a lot of energy that went into that. That wasn’t just that was years in the making. The power is there. It’s still alive.”

According to Amazon, Dyson's book, formerly titled Born To Use Mics: Reading Nas' Illmatic, is planned for January 2009 publication on Basic Civitas Books.

Presently, Large Professor - now recording as "Large Pro," is releasing Main Source September 23 on Gold Dust Media. The album's intro "The Entrance," can be heard.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...turned-to-book
    This is kind of a stretch...for real. I'm a fan of Nas and of that album, but this scholar is making a leap here.

What's next - 2 Live Crew's As Nasty As They Wanna Be reinterpreted as erotica?

Comment

Originally posted by neils7147933 View Post
      This is kind of a stretch...for real. I'm a fan of Nas and of that album, but this scholar is making a leap here.

What's next - 2 Live Crew's As Nasty As They Wanna Be reinterpreted as erotica?
      I would say Nas is just a bit more complex than the 2 Live Crew.

Comment

Originally posted by lefhooktodabody View Post
        I would say Nas is just a bit more complex than the 2 Live Crew.
        There has never been a rap album put out worthy of a scholarly transfer the way this article makes it seem... and they can make a college course out of it, doesn't make it worthy..

Comment

a book analyzing each song seems kind of crazy...its a great album, maybe even the best rap album of all time....but still.

Comment

Originally posted by TRUTH View Post
            a book analyzing each song seems kind of crazy...its a great album, maybe even the best rap album of all time....but still.
            It's this Dyson trying to make a name for himself.......

Google him. Nothing....

Comment

Originally posted by neils7147933 View Post
              It's this Dyson trying to make a name for himself.......

Google him. Nothing....
              lol.

he'll probably just use a whole bunch of big words to stretch the book out and make it seem like hes talking about something. Whats there to really say about it, that hasn't probably been said? lol

Comment

Working...
              X