No announcement yet.

best rapper in the late 90s and early 2000s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naz-Fan View Post
    What the ****? Dont come with that bull**** to me. I'm only 17 but I grew up on hip hop music and thats worldwide hip hop music not Young Jeezy and T.I or whoever the **** you listen to. I dont give a **** if Immortal had wrote Stan you would be on your knees saying how it was the best song ever. In my opinion that **** was smart.

Try name me 25 commercial mc's better than Eminem. The simple fact is you cant because for a commercial mc he had skills. Eminem brought hip hop to a new audience, that is revoloutianary.

Dont try and undermine my hip hop knowledge you ignorant prick when you dont even know me.
    don't even stress over the guy. this argument is very respectable, actually this one argument is better than about 5 or 6 of alpha ape's posts alone.

Comment

What the ****? Dont come with that bull**** to me. I'm only 17 but I grew up on hip hop music and thats worldwide hip hop music not Young Jeezy and T.I or whoever the **** you listen to. I dont give a **** if Immortal had wrote Stan you would be on your knees saying how it was the best song ever. In my opinion that **** was smart.

Try name me 25 commercial mc's better than Eminem. The simple fact is you cant because for a commercial mc he had skills. Eminem brought hip hop to a new audience, that is revoloutianary.

Dont try and undermine my hip hop knowledge you ignorant prick when you dont even know me.
      You don't know **** lad. See, I was right. All Eminem ball riders are your age. It makes sense now. In the year 2000 you were 10 ****in years old. You didn't even start listening to rap until the era when hiphop was already a dying art. Don't argue with a chief you pamper pusher.

25 MCs better than Eminem? Psssh...****in easy. Off the top of the dome, I can do this in my sleep even:

Rakim
      Method Man
      Tupac
      Big Pun
      Big Daddy Kane
      AZ
      Ghostface Killah
      KRS-1
      Chuck D
      Jay-Z
      Biggie
      Busta Rhymes
      Kool G Rap
      Nas
      Common
      Big L
      CL Smooth
      Cormega
      Sean Price
      GZA
      Guru
      Mos Def
      Canibus
      Slick Rick
      Black Thought

See that wasn't very hard now was it. All of them superior to Eminem. How many of those guys do you even own an album of? Three? Four? Get it together kiddo, you are not in my league.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Ape View Post
        You don't know **** lad. See, I was right. All Eminem ball riders are your age. It makes sense now. In the year 2000 you were 10 ****in years old. You didn't even start listening to rap until the era when hiphop was already a dying art. Don't argue with a chief you pamper pusher.

25 MCs better than Eminem? Psssh...****in easy. Off the top of the dome, I can do this in my sleep even:

Rakim
        Method Man
        Tupac
        Big Pun
        Big Daddy Kane
        AZ
        Ghostface Killah
        KRS-1
        Chuck D
        Jay-Z
        Biggie
        Busta Rhymes
        Kool G Rap
        Nas
        Common
        Big L
        CL Smooth
        Cormega
        Sean Price
        GZA
        Guru
        Mos Def
        Canibus
        Slick Rick
        Black Thought

See that wasn't very hard now was it. All of them superior to Eminem. How many of those guys do you even own an album of? Three? Four? Get it together kiddo, you are not in my league.
        and i'm glad you gave us 25 of your favorite rappers.

Comment

Rakim - Yeah he was better
          Method Man- Nope
          Tupac- In my opinion pac is better
          Big Pun- I prefer Em but thats cos I dont like Pun's voice. Never have done.
          Big Daddy Kane - Nope
          AZ- Please...good rapper but not better than Em.
          Ghostface Killah- Nope
          KRS-1- Nope, you're not picking him on skills
          Chuck D - No way
          Jay-Z- I dont think so but it can be argued
          Biggie- Yeah he was better
          Busta Rhymes- Nooooo
          Kool G Rap - Can be argued
          Nas - Yeah
          Common- Nope
          Big L - Yeah
          CL Smooth- No way
          Cormega- Can be argued
          Sean Price- Haven't heard too much of him
          GZA- I dont think so
          Guru - My fave rapper
          Mos Def- I say no though a lot will say yes
          Canibus - Yeah I would say Canibus is better
          Slick Rick - ....the **** are you smoking?
          Black Thought- No. And I wouldnt call him commercial.

Why are you putting guys like Chuck D, BDK and Slick Rick against Eminem? It's like sticking a good 1930's boxer against a good 1990's boxer. Eminem is clearly a better rapper than them. In their era they were sick but Eminem has much more skill.

Also you have too many good lyricist on that list that are only good lyricists. As a rapper you need the whole package. In my opinion the majority of that list are not close to Eminem's level. The point I'm making is dont shoot down people that like Eminem just because you dont. That shows ignorance and IMO real hip hop fans aint ignorant like that. I approach music with an open mind but when I see people like you attacking people just cos they like a rapper you dont it makes me wanna **** it an envelope and post it to you.

Comment

Why are you putting guys like Chuck D, BDK and Slick Rick against Eminem? It's like sticking a good 1930's boxer against a good 1990's boxer. Eminem is clearly a better rapper than them. In their era they were sick but Eminem has much more skill.

Also you have too many good lyricist on that list that are only good lyricists. As a rapper you need the whole package. In my opinion the majority of that list are not close to Eminem's level. The point I'm making is dont shoot down people that like Eminem just because you dont. That shows ignorance and IMO real hip hop fans aint ignorant like that. I approach music with an open mind but when I see people like you attacking people just cos they like a rapper you dont it makes me wanna **** it an envelope and post it to you.
            Eminem is better than Slick Rick? Have you listened to him? Owned one of his albums? lolz...o man I heard it all. And uh if you say this is like comparing 90s boxers to 30s boxers (even though the gap is nowhere near that wide) then we are talking on a pound for pound MC basis. Plain and simple and guess what, Sugar Ray Robinson is the P4P greatest fighter of all time and he hasn't fought in 50 years. So greatness stands the test of time, you have nothing there. You just won't get it...in essence yall really don't know what you missed out on and arguing with you two makes me realize how deprived todays "hiphop" fans are.

Yall aint getting the point. If you think Eminem is a good MC then thats great. But do NOT overrate this mother****er and give him such a prominent place in history when there are many more influential, talented and legendary MCs than him. Many of which I just named.

Comment

Of course I have heard Slick Rick's **** hes the best rapper to have came out of the UK

Eminem's Infinite, SSLP and MMLP for me make him 1 of my favourite rappers. After that he fell off no doubt but them albums for me are faves.

And Sugar Ray Robinson is p4p #1 based on weight class + era. He wouldnt beat a lot of boxers around today.

Comment

Of course I have heard Slick Rick's **** hes the best rapper to have came out of the UK

Eminem's Infinite, SSLP and MMLP for me make him 1 of my favourite rappers. After that he fell off no doubt but them albums for me are faves.

And Sugar Ray Robinson is p4p #1 based on weight class + era. He wouldnt beat a lot of boxers around today.
                yeah man, eminems early **** was slammin....... esp infinite and off da wall!

Comment

Rakim - Yeah he was better
                  Method Man- Nope
                  Tupac- In my opinion pac is better
                  Big Pun- I prefer Em but thats cos I dont like Pun's voice. Never have done.
                  Big Daddy Kane - Nope
                  AZ- Please...good rapper but not better than Em.
                  Ghostface Killah- Nope
                  KRS-1- Nope, you're not picking him on skills
                  Chuck D - No way
                  Jay-Z- I dont think so but it can be argued
                  Biggie- Yeah he was better
                  Busta Rhymes- Nooooo
                  Kool G Rap - Can be argued
                  Nas - Yeah
                  Common- Nope
                  Big L - Yeah
                  CL Smooth- No way
                  Cormega- Can be argued
                  Sean Price- Haven't heard too much of him
                  GZA- I dont think so
                  Guru - My fave rapper
                  Mos Def- I say no though a lot will say yes
                  Canibus - Yeah I would say Canibus is better
                  Slick Rick - ....the **** are you smoking?
                  Black Thought- No. And I wouldnt call him commercial.

WOW! good lyricists that are only good lyricists? that is the definition of Eminem. There is more than lyrics to being a rapper, you are right, which is exactly why KRS-ONE and certain others are definately superior to Eminem. Even Rakim in the interview that he did with the french Journalist said that Eminem wasn't really a rapper but a lyricist (and that is the level on which he respects him). Oh and by the way, I consider anyone that the grammy academy knows exists to be mainstream so I think Black Thought is. You certainly can't call a grammy artist "underground". Anyway you have a far more sane position on all of this than our friend here, I don't care for Eminem but I understand where your coming from.
                  Last edited by res; 03-08-2007, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Ape View Post
                    Was he really 10 in 2000?! If he were that would account for alot. It makes perfect sense that he would think that Eminem introduced non-gangster content into rap music. Well Pbftx just so you know, 80's rap was pretty much devoid of "gangsta" content with the exception of Kool G rap, who really didn't catch on untill he started to emphasize battle rap. All Rap music my friend was about the "other things" in life at that time. In the early 90's Hammer was still big lol and nonviolent jazz inspired groups like a Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul and Digable Planets were the standard. Gangsta rap didn't really take off untill "The Chronic". To put it simply, rap music was non-gangsta rap while the street controlled the market for atleast three times longer than it was gangsta rap (and by this I am talking about what was most dominant). So rappers talked about "other things" for a very long time, Eminem was not some revolutionary that introduced this. I can't blame you for assuming that though, I would too if I was your age.
                    Last edited by res; 03-08-2007, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
                      WOW! good lyricists that are only good lyricists? that is the definition of Eminem. There is more than lyrics to being a rapper, you are right, which is exactly why KRS-ONE and certain others are definately superior to Eminem. Even Rakim in the interview that he did with the french Journalist said that Eminem wasn't really a rapper but a lyricist (and that is the level on which he respects him). Oh and by the way, I consider anyone that the grammy academy knows exists to be mainstream so I think Black Thought is. You certainly can't call a grammy artist "underground". Anyway you have a far more sane position on all of this than our friend here, I don't care for Eminem but I understand where your coming from.
                      Yeah fair do's. I would never try to argue that Eminem is the best rapper of all time, cos for ones hes not and anyone that tries to say he is are most likely fan boys but you cant shoot down someone's favourite rapper. There's a lot of rock fans that like Eminem and DMX, not cos theyre the best rappers but its their fave sound. And I know Black Thought isnt underground but his **** doesnt get released in the UK and rarely played on UK hip hop radios so its difficult for me to call him commercial.

And in 2000 I was 10 years old. But from young as I can remember I was forced if you like to listen to hip hop. I used to listen to Run DMC all the time when I was a kid and I bought reasonable doubt (cos the front cover looked cool lol) before I bought the slim shady lp.

But to be honest I've stopped listening to rap now. I have done for a few years. I wouldnt say hip hop is dead but the commercial side of it is. Now I'm into a different music style.

Comment

Working...
                      X