Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Song Are You Currently Listening To?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume 6, cut 18.

The E Street is insane, man. That feel is as great as anything I've heard on any blaxpo soundtrack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stones! View Post
      This compilation is really comprehensive.
      Speaking of Purple Chick, I'll hook up their construction of 'SMiLE' one of these times. As close to a 'finished' version of the record as you'll get (although I still maintain that a finished version isn't the point, and that the beauty and the true statement of that project lies in the limitless potential presented in its incompleteness).

Also, some fantastic vintage articles on the 'SMiLE' stuff; some tantalizing and somewhat sad hints at what could have been in those.

Comment

• Originally posted by MACAQUEINBLACK View Post
        Speaking of Purple Chick, I'll hook up their construction of 'SMiLE' one of these times. As close to a 'finished' version of the record as you'll get (although I still maintain that a finished version isn't the point, and that the beauty and the true statement of that project lies in the limitless potential presented in its incompleteness).

Also, some fantastic vintage articles on the 'SMiLE' stuff; some tantalizing and somewhat sad hints at what could have been in those.
        Looking forward to it, if you ever get around to it.

Vol. 10 seems to be various songs Holly used to listen to while travellin' I love the idea.

Comment

Looking forward to it, if you ever get around to it.

Vol. 10 seems to be various songs Holly used to listen to while travellin' I love the idea.
          A Buddy's jukebox kind of thing, allie.

Nice art on these sets, too.

Reminds me of something else I been meaning to do; I'll do it right now.

Comment

• Changing of the Guards - Dylan

Comment

• Comment

• That tune is one of those instances where I'll take the Byrds version over the Dylan.

Not a huge fan of 'Another Side...'.

Comment

• Originally posted by MACAQUEINBLACK View Post
                  That tune is one of those instances where I'll take the Byrds version over the Dylan.

Not a huge fan of 'Another Side...'.
                  I really like Dylan's falsetto on the chorus - who says he can't sing?

Comment

• For an archetype example of sublime drumming - see Vinnie "Mad Dog" Lopez's work on It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City - perfect tempo control, feel and solid outro.

Bruce Springsteen - It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City

I had skin like leather and the diamond-hard look of a cobra
                    I was born blue and weathered but I burst just like a supernova
                    I could walk like Brando right into the sun
                    Then dance just like a Casanova
                    With my blackjack and jacket and hair slicked sweet
                    Silver star studs on my duds like a Harley in heat
                    When I strut down the street I could hear its heartbeat
                    The sisters fell back and said "Don't that man look pretty"
                    The cripple on the corner cried out "Nickels for your pity"
                    Them gasoline boys downtown sure talk gritty
                    It's so hard to be a saint in the city

I was the king of the alley, mama, I could talk some trash
                    I was the prince of the paupers crowned downtown at the beggar's bash
                    I was the pimp's main prophet I kept everything cool
                    Just a backstreet gambler with the luck to lose
                    And when the heat came down it was left on the ground
                    The devil appeared like Jesus through the steam in the street
                    Showin' me a hand I knew even the cops couldn't beat
                    I felt his hot breath on my neck as I dove into the heat
                    It's so hard to be a saint when you're just a boy out on the street

And the sages of the subway sit just like the living dead
                    As the tracks clack out the rhythm their eyes fixed straight ahead
                    They ride the line of balance and hold on by just a thread
                    But it's too hot in these tunnels you can get hit up by the heat
                    You get up to get out at your next stop but they push you back down in your seat
                    Your heart starts beatin' faster as you struggle to your feet
                    Then you're outa that hole and back up on the street

And them South Side sisters sure look pretty
                    The cripple on the corner cries out "Nickels for your pity"
                    And them downtown boys sure talk gritty
                    It's so hard to be a saint in the city

Springsteen's poetry in motion and the E Street Band jammin' like a funk band.

Last cut from Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ

http://www.mediafire.com/?gojazonte9d

Comment

I really like Dylan's falsetto on the chorus - who says he can't sing?
                      Every so often, in those earlier days, he would give a performance of real subtlety and gentle dynamics, too. I don't know if underrated is the word, but certain qualities in Dylan are sometimes overlooked.

For me, what I dug about The Byrds version of that tune is they made it sound like more of a fledged song. Although, you can look at it as an amazing feat to have other acts feeding off your throwaways.

Just remembered another of those Arena episodes you'd likely dig; Dylan In The Madhouse.

Comment

Working...
                      X