Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Song Are You Currently Listening To?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MACAQUEINBLACK View Post
    YEAAAAAAAAAHBOI; you familiar with the 'Apartment Tapes'?

Currently,
    Yes I am, some of those songs are on The Best Of Buddy Holly album I have. Which is basically all I have of Holly. Crying, Waiting, Hoping is from the same sessions? That song is mega.

I got into Holly through Bruce - I love Buddy's voice, it just has that classic rock feel.

Comment

• I love Young's vocals on After The Gold Rush; Don't Let It Bring You Down is just one of those songs I can play over and over again. I don't know much else about him; I've heard bits and pieces, here and there, but the only two full albums I've heard with him in it are; ATGR and Deja Vu.

Comment

• I'm guessing you've seen this, BLACK? Jagger, Bruce & Harrison on the same stage together - musical orgasm for me. You can see Brian Wilson standing nervously in the background,

Comment

• With some Puerto Rican girls that's just dyyyyyiiiiinnnngg to meet you!.....

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by DR.ORGYY View Post
              Nice!, didn't know of any Jehst believers here.

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
              I'm diggin' this track

- I wasn't able to find any links on The First Class. What do you have? Same with Little Royal..... - I wasn't able to find anything on them, so thanks for the link. I was curious to hear that band because I had read Ernest Carter played with them for a while - I'm not sure who is playing drums on Razor Blade, but the track is sic as hell.

So how many bands did John Carter play for - what are his finest albums?
              Note on The First Class; youtube them and see the group that went out to promote the music - you will LOLOLOL. The First Class were a studio creation first, and when the stuff needed promoting and touring they just sent out a bunch of guys, the records were the main thing. That was what Carter got more and more into as he went along in his career, he was dedicated to his studio craft and songwriting, so the bands he was 'in' were more like vehicles for his evolving creative abilities in the studio than actual functioning road en******, and The First Class album was a pinnacle of that evolution and process of perfection of his craft in a lot of ways. He was one of those prolific guys who spread himself across a lot of projects (a legit hitmaker, too, being the songwriting mind behind a bunch of popular singles across a scattering of acts and fronts; Herman's Hermits, Flowerpot Men, Ivy League, The Music Explosion and others) and whose name just keeps persistently popping up the more you dig into the background of the creative explosions that were happening in Pop/RNR in the 60's and 70's.

As such, it's a stacked résumé and the highlights of his career tend to be scattered all over the map; one of his Great achievements in my eyes is writing 'My World Fell Down', which Gary Usher cherrypicked and produced the definitive version of for a studio project he founded called Sagittarius (for which Curt Boettcher also produced cuts),

(a pre-fame Glen Campbell -- then an Ace session singer and guitarist -- singing lead, with Bruce Johnston taking some parts)

Dude was a truly dedicated and talented pop-scientist and definitely deserves mention in the same sphere as the Spectors, Wilsons, Boettchers, Kasanetz-Katzs, Ushers, Zekleys and Meeks.

What I really should (and will) do is put a highlight comp together, but some recommendations for sets you could dig into are,
              • Measure For Measure; The John Carter Anthology (archival set; as per the press-release, "A veritable one man recording industry during the 60's and 70's with hit songs, performances and productions. This compilation focuses on John Carter the performer with a definitive collection of his essential recordings as the artist from 1963-1977")

• The Essential Works In The Studios 1963-1982 (archival set; the kind of release the Japanese put together so well and lovingly)

• The Carter-Lewis Story (archival set; covering highlights of the songwriting/recordmaking partnership between Carter and Ken Lewis in the early-mid 60's)

• The First Class (LP, 1974; I love this record unapologetically, probably the proudest original Carter album project)

• As You Like It; Vol. 1 (archival set; a grab-bag of Carter's original demos from the mid to late 60's, lovely stuff)

• Men From The Ministry/Midsummer Night's Dreaming (archival set; covers Carter's involvement with the Ministry Of Sound project)

• This Is The Ivy League (LP, 1965; the debut LP by The Ivy League, a band JC founded - recommended from my own personal fondness for the record, which got bad press in its time for its refractory erraticism, hence I tack this at the end of the list)

Not sure how much of that would be easily found on the 'net at present; he's been blogged before ofc, but links may not be extant now. Torrents are probably out there. I can do you the First Class album and others, just yell anytime and I'll throw up some links.

Very interesting piece on JC here,

http://www.fufkin.com/columns/eden/eden_07_01.htm

Yes I am, some of those songs are on The Best Of Buddy Holly album I have. Which is basically all I have of Holly. Crying, Waiting, Hoping is from the same sessions? That song is mega.

I got into Holly through Bruce - I love Buddy's voice, it just has that classic rock feel.
              Yeah, nothing fancy about them, I just love the basicness and intimacy of those Apartment recordings, and knowing he passed just a couple weeks after adds another poignant layer to the performances; slayed me when I first heard him sing 'Love Is Strange'; such a curious sensitivity, wistfulness in his delivery, just lovely.

I know you know your La's inside-out, so I'm betting you've seen 'emm doing 'That'll Be The Day' in the style of Cochran (another big fav of mine).

I love Young's vocals on After The Gold Rush; Don't Let It Bring You Down is just one of those songs I can play over and over again. I don't know much else about him; I've heard bits and pieces, here and there, but the only two full albums I've heard with him in it are; ATGR and Deja Vu.
              Ahhh, you've got plenty of great stuff to come; I especially envy that at a time when Archives has become a reality.

The (chrono)logical next step is to 'Harvest'. It's not the Neil album I'm most attached to, but I'd never downplay its excellence like some NY hardcore types do - Great record, studded with gems. It was one of those albums that is so well received that it kind of gets disavowed by its creator for years after as they show no desire to replicate it and sate any demand for more of the same. I love that mellifluous, deceptively 'mellow' Neil as much as I love the 'challenging' Neil of albums that came after; to me, it's all the same Neil, those are just surface perceptions.

Check out the Rust Never Sleeps movie one of those days; if you dig concert movies, that one is for the ages.

I'm guessing you've seen this, BLACK? Jagger, Bruce & Harrison on the same stage together - musical orgasm for me. You can see Brian Wilson standing nervously in the background,

LOL! That's very Brian...or the post-breakdown Brian who suffered long with inadequacy issues as a performer; I forget the exact show, but he once had to do a set on the same bill as Springsteen and was especially worried about how his performance would come off next to the dynamism of The Boss. Even though he's not even performing there, it's actually really sad to see him look so uncomfortable, self-doubting, shrinking in those guys' presences.

I spy Bruce J. in there, too.

Currently spinning (some would call it a guilty pleasure, but I keep none of those, this is just pure joy, haha),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nOrqaHJOWk

Comment

• Comment

• Cheers for the info on Carter. Brilliant article as well - I especially liked this line ;True obsessions never die. They just go into hibernation, re-emerging when you are most vulnerable. I can totally get that; I may not listen to an MJ recording for 8-12 months but when I do, it opens up that entire world again, and I become lost in the music, as if it was the first time I heard it.

John Carter et al. links are too hard to find, mate.

I somehow managed to only find this, but I think it shall suffice for now.

http://musicoogle.com/rock/8459-va-m...1961-1977.html

The article also alluded to this song, which I haven't heard in a while - almost forgot how beautiful it was;

- Yes, I have heard the Las version of That'll Be The Day. One thing I find interesting is that alot of performers have stated that they play Holly before they go on stage - lol, very peculiar.

- Young, I'll check out the concert, mate. noted. Once I'm done listening to his next few albums.

- I've been getting the vibe of Brian's insecurity too, when I've seen him perform live at various concerts on youtube. That kid is really putting himself down for nothing; mega-songwriter, check, mega-voice, check, mega band, check. smh I'm not sure what he's feeling but judging by his face, it doesn't seem like he's enjoying himself.

- BTW, I've practically listened to all of E's studio albums, bar the few Christmas and gospel orientated jazz. Elvis - Elvis 1956 was out of this world, but I'll get to that later.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Working...
                      X