Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Song Are You Currently Listening To?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stones! View Post
    Yeahhhhhhboi. Such an affirmative record, turns angst into triumph, celebration.

Plus,

"poor old Johnny Ray, sounded sad upon the radio, broke a million hearts in mono/our mothers cried, sang along, who'd blame them?"

is one of the most beautiful opening lyrics to a song ever.

Kevin, like Bruce, is good at making really poignant reference to the greats that came before him ('Geno' is probably the defining example in his catalogue).

Comment

• I was about to post 'Geno' and 'Old'.

I had a listen to their Best Of album and those 3 songs really stood out for me.

I love the ending to Eileen - Toora Loora etc

Great song. I really like the lead singers voice, don't know who he is.

Comment

• Dragon Hearts "Dragon Fire" instrumental

Comment

I was about to post 'Geno' and 'Old'.

I had a listen to their Best Of album and those 3 songs really stood out for me.

I love the ending to Eileen - Toora Loora etc

Great song. I really like the lead singers voice, don't know who he is.
          That's Kev (Rowland).

One of the Greatest songwriters/performers of the 80's, IMO. Dexys are a Top 10 ATG British act for me (some great live clips on youtube as well).

YES on the ending of '...Eileen'. Every part of that tune is so perfectly formed, the Toora Loora parts are all uplift, that final chorus riding the song to victory, such an awesome spirit in that song.

'Old' is stunning, I agree. One of my favs.

I love the sentimentality in Kevin's music...so many guys in the 80's could've never let their cool slip to write a song like 'Old'. He really didn't care about hip...used to have his bands exercise and bunk trains together as 'team bonding' exercises, LOLOL.

Comment

• Comment

• I agree, man.

I'm listening to their Best Of again - I find some songs need to be heard a couple or more times to sink in.

I really liked that song you posted before, I Couldn't Help If I Tried, but the damn thing wasn't included in the Best Of album so I got Searching For The Young Soul Rebels, as well.

I'm diggin' this band.

Comment

I agree, man.

I'm listening to their Best Of again - I find some songs need to be heard a couple or more times to sink in.

I really liked that song you posted before, I Couldn't Help If I Tried, but the damn thing wasn't included in the Best Of album so I got Searching For The Young Soul Rebels, as well.

I'm diggin' this band.
                YES to the bold, man. That's the thing about Best Of comps...when a band's catalogue is that high a caliber throughout, great things will inevitably be left off due to an embarrassment of riches, but the beauty of that is the discovery you get after the intro.

What I dislike is when bands who aren't quite as consistent are misrepresented on a Best Of, ie. their poorer cuts are chosen and strong ones left off.

All 3 Dexys albums are 10/10 records to me. There isn't a cut there I don't love. The debut and especially 'Don't Stand Me Down' (the magnum opus) are the most critically lauded by far, but 'Too Rye Ay' is my personal favorite...just an inspired, hugely underrated, Genius pop-soul album. I could probably write about it for a year and never say everything I'd want to say. It's just sublime.

And they had some fine B sides and non-album singles, too.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Working...
                      X