Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Song Are You Currently Listening To?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stones! View Post
    I remember you posting The Super Stocks sometime ago, RAGE. I liked what I heard so I downloaded 3 of their albums.

I've listened to School Is A Drag, only, so far. Good album. Have to listen to it again, to give a further opinion.

They must have some connection to the Beach Boys because the resemblance was definitely there on first listen.
    Missed this earlier.

Super Stocks were badass, man. One of (Brian Wilson collaborator and LA industry vet) Gary Usher's hot-rod exploitation studio groups. Trashy, but a lot of fun...and Gary really put a lot of love and craft into that stuff, he's an underrated guy in a lot of ways. 'My First Love' is maybe my fav of the Super Stocks vocal cuts. I just love the sound of those albums as much as any material, though, 'Surf Route 101' especially.

Hahah, I posted the Super Stocks here more or less accidentally, 'cause I couldn't find the Don Brandon version of 'Ballad Of Bonneville' (a tune I knew you'd dig, 'cause it's like a cool-ass cousin of 'Spirit Of America') on youtube.

How about this for a Beach Boy knockoff?

^^ Produced by Terry Melcher (Doris Day's son), who collaborated frequently in the early 60's with Bruce Johnston, a Brian Wilson admirer who became a Beach Boy when Brian quit touring in '65.

What Beach Boy backing-track does that remind you of?

LOL @ Pat Boone. All those old 50's idols were trying to bite the BB's swag,

Comment

• The video won't work.

Comment

The video won't work.
        Might work,

Something cool about hearing a guy like Boone tackling BB soundalike material in a bid to stay hip, though. LOL

Comment

• That was a pretty good song, man.

Don't Worry Baby? Bares a slight resemblance to that, I guess.

Comment

• This Pat Boone fella has a good voice.

What's his magnum opus?

Comment

That was a pretty good song, man.

Don't Worry Baby? Bares a slight resemblance to that, I guess.
              Nailed it, I always thought that backing-track was such a DWB clone.

Boone's career was looooooong and kind of all over the map. No one album of his that I've heard really stands out, but there are some decent overview packages out there that cover the hits and beyond.

Just putting it out there, a teen idol with a pretty amazingly underrated career and a fine voice - Del Shannon. 'Home And Away' (cut in the UK and helmed by Loog Oldham) is a record I think you might dig a lot.

I dunno why, but it just came to mind, maybe 'cause I'm thinking of industry vets updating or adapting their sounds/styles as the late 60's came in, Sinatra's 'Watertown' is one I think you *might* like.

Comment

• I'm going to check out Watertown, Del Shannon and a Pat Boone Anthology.

Comment

• Home And Away looks like a career spanning set.

http://www.downeu.com/forum/music/66...960-197-a.html

I'm going to download a greatest hits torrent first and see if I like it.

Comment

• Hey, man - cool. Let me know if you dig anything among that lot when you've had a chance to kick it with the music a while.

Brings me nicely back around to The Small Faces (everything comes back to them with me, lol) - I always loved their cover of Del's 'Runaway'.

Comment

• BTW, this was the 'Home And Away' I was getting at, a single album,

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Away-Del-.../dp/B000HKDBUE

That one you linked *is* a career spanning set, LMAOO. I'm bad, but I wouldn't throw you in at the deep end with 8 discs of everything a dude ever did,

Comment

Working...
                      X