Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true that Usain Bolt's 100 m record won't be broken for at least 50 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
    The greatest era in sprinting in terms of close competition was the late 80's and entire 90's 'This was a era where one mistake would cost you the entire race, Usain Bolt in that sense changed the entire dynamic of sprinting' In some ways he did not compete under the same kind of mental pressure of Carl Lewis/Linford Christie.

When I was a kid watching the preliminaries of the 100m final at any of the big championships, the tension that would be induced within me 'Has only been duplicated in the moments before a big heavyweight title fight' I can remember commentators LIVE ON AIR stating that they where scared.

Usain Bolt changed the entire sprinting culture almost, because he knew he could get a bad start, or he could be over 1 tenth out from his best condition and still win the race.

If Linford Christie or Carl Lewis made a mistake, at any given time? There could of been 5-6 guys in the field that could and would beat them '100 meter sprinting was sudden death every-time' None of this smiling or dancing about.

I give credit where credit is due to Usain Bolt, but I did always support the american's against him 'Or Asafa Powell'.

I would say that there was only 1 athlete who put Usain Bolt in a situation where 'He knew? I can't be dancing about, IF make a mistake this guy can take me out etc'

Tyson Gay for a brief moment in history put him under that type of pressure 'That was the pressure Carl Lewis, Linford Christie & Maurice Greene performed under all the time etc'

And to be honest? At that time, I don't think Usain Bolt liked it. It was Tyson Gay's top-end speed which, Bolt knew that he could not run down so easily.

As I have stated before 'I did used to think Bolt had a psychological weakness' I can remember seeing him just pulling out of a final half way through, In Osaka Japan 2006.

But of course in time he proved to me that 'His mental game was immensely strong in the latter part of his career'.

It just got to a point where I don't even think Bolt's competitor's wanted to beat him, he had them all beaten before the race 'You had to be delusion, in order to want to beat him' they all looked happy just to be in the same race. It was only really guys like Justin Gatlin or Tyson Gay who where kind of angry.

Usain Bolt done a number on people.

Tyson wasn't any challenge after 2007.
    Gatlin was the only one who could even come close and he never really did.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubeja Vontell View Post
      The next fastest sprinters are fellow Jamaican Yohan Blake and American Tyson Gay, both at 9.69. Bolt's WR is a gaudy 9.58, but....we talking just a long stride here.

Bolt had a very unique situation, he was going to be a 400m cat who dabbled in the 200m, well he found out he didn;t care for the pain it takes to be a stud 400m man, so......the 200m would be his baby, He spent years training like long sprinters do, so when he finally came to the 100m he possessed a totally different level of the most important element in a 100m sprint.....speed endurance, that abilty to sustain/maintain a large % of your topend/max velocity, and your decelleration phase less dramatic. Now add that freakish 6-5 stride.

It will take another sprinter who ran the 400m coming down to the 200 and the 100 to break that record. But it will be broken and no Bolt isn't some alien or a time traveler, as a matter of fact we have seen him before more or less, and here he is.....

He was histories first sub 20.00, and also held the 440 WR record. He beat the Olympic 400m gold medalist Lee Evans and ran down Jm Hines on a 4x1 anchor leg, Hines the soon to be Olympic 100m gold medalist. Smith was amazing and made you really question if he decellerated at all in any race, he did appear to shift gears and hit the finish in over drive.
      I guess this begs the question. Why did the other guys bother to show up? That was an ass whipping...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
        I guess this begs the question. Why did the other guys bother to show up? That was an ass whipping...
        Tommie is from nearby Lemoore, I know his younger bro Ernie, a 9.4/13.7 cat himself while at Oregon Sate. And worked with a buddy of Tommies Wille Neal, the uncle of NFL stud fullback Lorenzo Neal.

Smith was a 25-11 long jumper (not really caring) 9.3 100yd, 10.1 100m, 19.5WR, 19.83WR 44.5WR an amazing sprinter.

All sprinters decellerate in all sprints (but a 60) Smith was the guy who made us question that, he did appear to be shifting into another gear close to the finish as we see here....

Our Olympic 4x1 relay team wanted a warm up race/practice run a few weeks before the 68 games. On anchor would be Jimmy Hines who would go on to win the Olympic 100m in a WR 9,95 (first legal sub10.00) on anchor, on anchor for one of the other teams in the race..........Tommie Smith.

At the final exchange the USA team had a twom advantage and nobody runs down Jimmy Hines.......well guess what?
        Last edited by Ubeja Vontell; 01-31-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...grc=A37gNC3Uef

Comment

Interesting documentary, I never really knew the story behind those images indepth until I saw this etc

Black Power Salute: Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krPIMwwkyGI

Note: Video cannot be embedded on forum.

Comment

Lmao. Thanks. So true.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                Interesting documentary, I never really knew the story behind those images indepth until I saw this etc

Black Power Salute: Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krPIMwwkyGI

Note: Video cannot be embedded on forum.

Like I mentioned Tommie grew up here in central Cali, this was never Montgomery Alabama. I'm black my parents from Nigeria, we never experienced anything OH MY GOD at all.

Some BS in the video.

Bud Winter had coached WR holder Dennis Johnson a Jamaican. the great Ray Norton WR holder 100yds/100m/200m,and Bobby Poynter and Willie Williams long before Tommie and Lee Evans showed up.

Speed City

Evans
                Smith
                Ronnie Ray Smith Olympic 200/WR9.9
                Kirk Clayton 9.3
                Sam Davis 10.1m
                John Carlos WR 9.1
                Ben Griffen 9.4
                Wayne Herman 9.4 short white dude

There was also a club SCVYV that brought in Bill Gaines a 9.3 cat from back east. So there was a time San Jose was the legit....Speed City. The 68 Olympics had....Smith, Evans, RR Smith, Carlos all winning medals.

And, Tommie was a stud trackster in HS, he'd placed in the long jump,the 100 and won state in the 400 it wasn't as if he was a basketballer turn trackster once at SJS.

Funny thing is Tommie never ran the 200 at State, which was his best event.

Winning Cali State 400m, in this meet he also took third in the 100 yards.

1 Tommie Smith Lemoore C 47.3 440Y 1963
                2 Leon Horne Grant SJ 47.7 440Y 1963
                3 Dave Buck Brea S 48.0 440Y 1963
                4 John McGowan Centennial S 48.1 440Y 1963
                5 Garland Robinson Fremont LA 48.6 440Y 1963
                6 Tom Agsten Hoover SD 48.7 440Y 1963
                440Y 1963
                Last edited by Ubeja Vontell; 02-01-2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -Wlad emptied a 5 Shell Shotgun LHk blast on Ray Austin.

yeah but it was ray austin

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    yeah but it was ray austin
                    - -Highly ranked in the day.

Ya musta fergot!

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                      - -Highly ranked in the day.

Ya musta fergot!

one of the slowest HW contenders i have ever seen bruh. literally might have been in his prime in the worst era of all time in the division.

bruh he lost to harold scoiners

he made tony thompson look like usain bolt, or an actual tiger.

i remember when wladimir hit him with the first hook he literally juyst slumped there on the ropes like, "oh well that was quick," and let wladimir knock him out.

Comment

Working...
                      X