No announcement yet.

Reparations time. Pay what you owe!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
    - -There is no monolithic historical model of slavery in this country.

There is a monolithic historical model of beating a dead horse as can be witnessed in the preceding pages.

Just grab your pie in the sky work on your own injustices perpetuated today. Given the state of the world today, 150 years from now the progeny of the few survivors will see this era in the worst possible light and reparations won't be the reason.
    He's a Zen master of attrition tactics.

Sadly, that's about all he brings to the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post
      Oh word? Sounds rough. I wonder what's your excuse for the way I've been owning you, then. You better behave boy, or I'll start talking about Dempsey running away from Joe Jeannette at Madison Square Garden
      - -You soft lads can't fight, so you run and can't do that either.

You beating dead horses, yup, yer level.

Comment

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post
        Here's a more complete list of reparations in the United States.

https://guides.library.umass.edu/reparations

If you look at 1980, you will see the reparations for the Sioux because the US took their land in the 1860's. The Sioux rejected the offer because they claim the Black Hills was never for sale, and they want the land instead of the reparations. I think there was some kind of interest added to it, because apparently the reparations is up to the billions now!

I hear you, bro. No one likes to pay for something when they are not directly at fault. However, you can't just take the president's money. lol. (By the way, I know there is some belief that a president can't be indicted while in office, and congressmen also have some restrictions about what they can be charged with while serving, so this remedy wouldn't really work.) And plenty of society at that time benefited. Of course that doesn't mean anything to you, but again, it's just that if the US has to pay for something, we have to share the burden. There is no other way.

So I'm guessing you were against money being paid to the Japanese? If not money from taxes, I really don't know any other way the Japanese could have received amends.

Much respect as always, Tony.
        Yeah, the way I see it, is for the guilty to pay and those who had nothing to do with it, not pay anything. I can't back off that stance. It's what makes sense to me. I am not against anybody receiving payments for wrongs that were done to them. And I enjoy seeing those responsible pay for their crimes. You commit murder? I'm all for pulling the switch? You rob people? I'd love to see you get robbed of everything over and over because these things are wrong according to my morality and I think most of us agree that murder, theft and rape are wrong, pretty much no matter what, although each case should be heard out for sure. I do hate to see people paying to right a wrong when often times, those in power in the government actually committed the crimes. Even people who were in favor of the crime but didn't participate shouldn't make it right either. Thoughts don't actually hurt people or take things away from them-only actions. And since these are crimes that we are talking about, I mean, have you ever had something stolen? Did you get it back? I've had things stolen and I will never see them again. The cops look for these things, but come on. We know it ain't happening. There is only so much they can do. Now, at the same time, I don't expect someone else to cover the loss. Obviously you can take out insurance on some things, but sometimes that doesn't work out either. And I'm not trying to trivialize this subject. Slavery is a far worse crime for sure. My point is that people are the victims of crime on a daily basis and often get nothing back from it. No justice at all. It is terrible but I don't see every wrong being made right. I don't believe we live in that kind of world.

Who knows, man? A reparations bill may pass through congress, but I wouldn't hold my breath. As with most things, we shall see...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
          Out of curiosity, how do you feel when the local police department pays the family members of victims millions of dollars in reparations/your tax money every time they wrongfully kill a black man even though you didn't commit the vile act yourself?

Instead of convicting these officers, they literally pay them millions of dollars in reparations from guess where? Your tax money.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never seen you present a public outcry on here.

Those that use the argument of "no reparations with my tax dollars for something I didn't do", are nowhere to be found every time the families of victims are wrongfully killed by the police and not convicted with jail time instead.

This is the trend of white supremacy and how it moves and operates invisibly, covertly and without a smell, taste or something tangible attached to it. It's literally an institution that isn't traceable or prosecutable.

Just pick and choose whichever talking points to justify whatever atrocity commited and wash your hands without accountability.
          I'm against that as well. I didn't commit the crime and no, I don't feel responsible in any way. Nor should you or anybody else. Of course, what does race have to do with this? If the police wrongfully shoot a white/black/Asian/Latino man/woman/child, that is always wrong. No?

No, I am never in favor of the taxpayers flipping the bill for things they weren't responsible for. The a-hole cop who committed the wrongful act should pay of course. Heck, if I am a victim, I don't expect anybody to pay who had nothing to do with it. Now, if somebody took up a collection on their own, I'm fine with that of course, if they want to. I don't look at it as everybody's duty to help me out. It's not their duty, period.

I'll tell you what. The next time you see a cop wrongfully killing somebody, you post the article on here and I will be happy to post that I think that the tax payers should damn sure not pay for this. I will say it over and over, because it is wrong.

Comment

- -There is no monolithic historical model of slavery in this country.

There is a monolithic historical model of beating a dead horse as can be witnessed in the preceding pages.

Just grab your pie in the sky work on your own injustices perpetuated today. Given the state of the world today, 150 years from now the progeny of the few survivors will see this era in the worst possible light and reparations won't be the reason.
            No trails are left behind so it's possible to get restitution.

Comment

- -Dumb and getting dumber.

The population started in the north along with slavery. That they migrated south is part of that economic story. I told you, in Miss in 1812 there were zero slaves. Northern whites and slaves migrated enmasse subsequent decades.

Keep on beating that dead horse.
              Nah man. i believe Virgina is where the British whites came and settled first and then they brought over slaves to farm the lucrative tobacco crops.

The pilgrims went up North but they came after the set that went to Virginia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                Too many hi came to mind. I think slavery is, was, and will forever be wrong. I think that the time for fair and accurate reparations(compensating the ex slaves) has passed.

It is pure bull crap that ex-slave owners were compensated, but not the slaves. Also the reparations offered by a few states to ex slaves was a bogus offer, and it was nearly impossible to get.

I read several articles, and papers, and the issue is very complex.
                What do you consider fair and accurate reparations?

Comment

• Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
                  From who specifically ?

And by mentioning ''ALL white people (and very few blacks)'', that's not nearly specific enough.

Remember, the crime wasn't kidnapping the slaves or even turning free people into slaves.

Which slaves distant relatives will be ''inheriting'' this windfall ?

Are we to assume every slave was abused and killed ?!?!?
                  And about those states that didn't even exist.....cha ching ?!?!?

And of the existing states, less than half were slave states....10x the cha ching ?!?!?

Last word time

From who? From the United States. I think you can't understand something so simple because you simply don't want to understand.

It doesn't matter if every slave wasn't killed. What the hell are you talking about? The wrong that was committed was slavery itself. The United States was wrong to not only turn a blind eye to it but to perpetuate it. You don't claim, "All men are created equal" and talk about how no person in the United States should be deprived or life, liberty...etc.....and then engage in slavery.

Popping in and out saying I can have the last word doesn't work as per a conversation, since you don't want to stick around and answer any questions. But I think I know what that's about.

Again, it's not about white people. It's not about you. It's about the slaves and the United States. It's only about you to the extent that you are a citizen of the United States and share it's burden, the same as I do. We both are required to pay taxes. If the government decides that this wrong needs to be atoned, then you are required to pay in. "Cha Ching."

Last word time?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
                    Yeah, the way I see it, is for the guilty to pay and those who had nothing to do with it, not pay anything. I can't back off that stance. It's what makes sense to me. I am not against anybody receiving payments for wrongs that were done to them. And I enjoy seeing those responsible pay for their crimes. You commit murder? I'm all for pulling the switch? You rob people? I'd love to see you get robbed of everything over and over because these things are wrong according to my morality and I think most of us agree that murder, theft and rape are wrong, pretty much no matter what, although each case should be heard out for sure. I do hate to see people paying to right a wrong when often times, those in power in the government actually committed the crimes. Even people who were in favor of the crime but didn't participate shouldn't make it right either. Thoughts don't actually hurt people or take things away from them-only actions. And since these are crimes that we are talking about, I mean, have you ever had something stolen? Did you get it back? I've had things stolen and I will never see them again. The cops look for these things, but come on. We know it ain't happening. There is only so much they can do. Now, at the same time, I don't expect someone else to cover the loss. Obviously you can take out insurance on some things, but sometimes that doesn't work out either. And I'm not trying to trivialize this subject. Slavery is a far worse crime for sure. My point is that people are the victims of crime on a daily basis and often get nothing back from it. No justice at all. It is terrible but I don't see every wrong being made right. I don't believe we live in that kind of world.

Who knows, man? A reparations bill may pass through congress, but I wouldn't hold my breath. As with most things, we shall see...
                    Yea, I definitely won't hold my breath. If it has taken this long...

Well hey, your opinion is your opinion and you certainly have a right to it. Much respect as always!

Comment

- -You soft lads can't fight, so you run and can't do that either.

You beating dead horses, yup, yer level.
                      Shut your dumb ass up. If you could fight so well you wouldn't be so clueless about the sport, would you? How many times now have I corrected you on things someone named Queensbury should know, Queenie?

Yes, you are a dead horse.

Comment

Working...
                      X