No announcement yet.

Kamala’s Father Boasts About Family’s History of Slave Ownership in Jamaica

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I come from slaves, both Black and Native

My people been fighting for four hundred years!

Four hundred!

*gets in a shoving match and is separated by security*

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      So will Kamala be tracking down the descendants of the salves her family owned and cut them checks for reparations?

Sen Kamala Harris (D-Calif) is on the record as backing "some form of reparations" for slavery. In a recent interview, Harris agreed with the host's suggestion that government reparations for black Americans were necessary to address past discrimination. The 2020 presidential hopeful later "affirmed that support" in a statement to The New York Times.

Harris continued:
      Well look, I think that we have got to address that again, it’s back to the inequities. There, through–look, America has a history of 200 years of slavery. We had Jim Crow. We had legal segregation in America for a very long time. The Voting Rights Act was only strong for 50 years and then they wiped it out with this United States Supreme Court in the Shelby decision, to the point that 22 states immediately thereafter put in place laws that one court found were crafted with surgical precision to have black people not be able to vote.
      So we’ve got to recognize, back to that earlier point, people aren’t starting out on the same base, in terms of their ability to succeed and so we have got to recognize that and give people a lift up. And, there are a number of ways to do it. Part of my initiative again around the "Lift Act" is that same point–you lifting people up who are making less than a hundred thousand dollars a year. What I want to do about rent is the same thing. What we need to do around education and understanding disparities, what we need to do around HBCUs. But we have a history of racism in America.

Harris doesn't owe anyone in America, but does she have some mea culpas to make in Jamaica? Her father, Donald J. Harris, wrote an extensive essay about the family's heritage in Jamaica at Jamaican Global Online in January, claiming to be the descendant of a famed slave owner.

My roots go back, within my lifetime, to my paternal grandmother Miss Chrishy (née Christiana Brown, descendant of Hamilton Brown who is on record as plantation and slave owner and founder of Brown’s Town) and to my maternal grandmother Miss Iris (née Iris Finegan, farmer and educator, from Aenon Town and Inverness, ancestry unknown to me). The Harris name comes from my paternal grandfather Joseph Alexander Harris, land-owner and agricultural "produce" exporter (mostly pimento or all-spice), who died in 1939 one year after I was born and is buried in the church yard of the magnificent Anglican Church which Hamilton Brown built in Brown’s Town (and where, as a child, I learned the catechism, was baptized and confirmed, and served as an acolyte).

Whiteley's account goes on, describing one victim after the next, including women and young boys. It is truly sickening to read. Brown didn't stop after the Jamaican slaves were freed. He attempted to make the Irish work on his plantation but failed when he was accused of trying to enslave more people. The historical accounts are so detailed that should Kamala Harris want to search out the families of the people her relative reportedly tortured, she would probably be able to find them.

Will she write a check to repair the damage her ancestor Hamilton Brown did to the slaves in Jamaica? Perhaps the media can do its job and ask her. Don Lemon might, as he seems concerned about her authentic blackness.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/kamala-...rations-check/
      She has an illegal immigrant at home as slaves cleaning her toilet does that even matter to the liberal media? Lol

Comment

It's a slippery slope. If reparations are extended to black Americans, this opens the door to everyone who can claim and prove they have been repressed. Native Americans, Hispanics, gays, women, Chinese, Irish, transgender, etc. It will be an endless stream of lawsuits.
        I find that its a poor excuse for not doing the right thing. When Japanese Americans got reparations it opened no floodgates.

Natives have already brokered forms to reparations with the US gov.

Black people really have a specific, historical claim that cant be related to or approximated by any other groups in America.

Comment

Originally posted by AllBoxingAD View Post
          How about this, you dont pay more taxes, the US sends less death squads all over the world, (i.e. Haiti) so they cut in the enormous military budget to make reparations happen.
          And still, any “reparations” must come from taxes levied on the citizens at force of gun by the government, so spare me your sop****ric, woozy dreamland-type responses.

Comment

It's a slippery slope. If reparations are extended to black Americans, this opens the door to everyone who can claim and prove they have been repressed. Native Americans, Hispanics, gays, women, Chinese, Irish, transgender, etc. It will be an endless stream of lawsuits.
            I'm among the last of the Tainos. My 10% won't last too many more generations and be easily detectable by tech. I imagine it's similar for other descendants.

My people been fighting for 526 years!

5 hundred!

*gets in a shoving match with a random person and is separated by security*

http://yukayekemanicato.weebly.com/t...--history.html
            Last edited by todisday; 02-26-2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AllBoxingAD View Post
              I find that its a poor excuse for not doing the right thing. When Japanese Americans got reparations it opened no floodgates.

Natives have already brokered forms to reparations with the US gov.

Black people really have a specific, historical claim that cant be related to or approximated by any other groups in America.
              Yet, many blacks rose above it and carved out middle class or better lives for themselves. To say that injustices of the past automatically = failure for generations to come has been disproven by all of the success that blacks have seen in this country.

Reparations mean different things to different people. If reparations comes in the form of education benefits, tax relief or incentives, or something that isn't tangible for ALL blacks, it won't be met with open arms. Most people wanting and expecting reparations want it in a lump sum of cash or property. Not education benefits they may or may not use, or tax incentives that may not be of much interest to them if they don't work or earn low wages.

Reparations will come in the form of a compromise that will not satisfy the majority of recipients.

Comment

Working...
              X