No announcement yet.

If white privilege is real

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
    Got a link to the actual study? The link is just an article and the writer did not link the study as far as I can tell. Rather bold to claim that "white privilege" can be quantified when all she did was claim the study proved it from a sample size of 1500, but no study to look at. Best I could tell, all her links were just links back to that sites articles, or link couldn't be found. One of her links actually went back to a Washington Post article from 2014 that had actual data on arrests, but outside of that, nada. That is some ****ty journalism.
    Do we even need a study?

Look around. There is all kinds of privilege not just the white kind. There is attractive privilege. There is skinny privilege. There is famous privilege. And there is even black, latino & Asian & other nationality/race privilege in communties that are strongly of those certain races/nationalities.

Privilege isn't just of the white people variety white privilege is just the most dominant one in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Do we even need a study?

Look around. There is all kinds of privilege not just the white kind. There is attractive privilege. There is skinny privilege. There is famous privilege. And there is even black, latino & Asian & other nationality/race privilege in communties that are strongly of those certain races/nationalities.

Privilege isn't just of the white people variety white privilege is just the most dominant one in the US.
      I agree with you on that, definitely. I noticed over the years that people treat you differently depending on how you look. If you look good, people are nicer, pretty much because they subconsciously want to have intercourse. If you look out of shape or whatever, though, uff! People lose all respect for you as a person, no matter how hard you work. I remember I had alopecia because of stress in the past, and these teenagers went out of their way to yell "YOU'RE BALD!!!!" at me, while I was finishing working out. And even before then, when I was out of shape, I heard people laughing because I was play-hitting the bag as a warm-up, since it was hooked to a weak roof.

Yet, once I got in shape and grew the hair back, ain't nobody was laughing no more. When I hit that bag for real, my girlfriend's parents, those racists, said it sounded like thunder.

I ain't hear no gigglin' anywhere, then.
      Last edited by todisday; 02-06-2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by todisday View Post
        I agree with you on that, definitely. I noticed over the years that people treat you differently depending on how you look. If you look good, people are nicer, pretty much because they subconsciously want to have intercourse. If you look out of shape or whatever, though, uff! People lose all respect for you as a person, no matter how hard you work.
        This is true, my wife has gotten out of a couple tickets that I know full well I wouldnt have.

To this day if I think they'll be a issue with a refund or something I send the wife in.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Do we even need a study?

To claim it is quantifiable, which is what Dunn's linked article claimed, yes you do need a study.

What you are talking about, yes anyone with a bit of self awareness knows people treat each other differently on any number of criteria. But when "white privilege" gets thrown around its usually about how white people are racist, simply because we are white, but we just don't know it or we were successful simply because we are white. This is literally taught in college courses these days. So again, if someone wants to make the very bold claim that it can be measured, scientifically, yes I want to see the study.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            This has got to be the dumbest thread ever in the lounge. However, I will answer.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015...earch-prove-it

White Privilege Is Real, and Now There’s Research to Prove it
            LMFAO... this dumb racist fk.

Look at the fking author... you stupid FK.

Comment

Ya dumb pieces of sh*$

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
                This is true, my wife has gotten out of a couple tickets that I know full well I wouldnt have.

To this day if I think they'll be a issue with a refund or something I send the wife in.
                It's day and night, the way the treatment is different, going by how you look. It literally can make the difference between someone being annoyed by you or staring at you with extreme lust. Society's very, very superficial.

And everything's fair game, too. You can't let your guard down with anybody. There was a woman who was like in her 40s, and she told me I looked like her ex husband. I didn't make much of it, until she was helping me out at work one day, and she placed her hand on mine while talking to a customer. I thought she was just telling me to shut up, but she didn't move that hand off me for like an entire minute. Weirdest part is that her ex husband apparently used to beat her (I learned this later on). I'm not saying this to complain, and she wasn't an ugly woman or anything either, so it's not about looking "older," but it goes to show that there aren't any rules. She probably had 20 years on me. Could've been my mom, but didn't care.

Society is about what people want, and if you are what they want, things change. If you aren't, people will more likely be their true selves with you. Usually, that doesn't go so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
                  LMFAO... this dumb racist fk.

Look at the fking author... you stupid FK.
                  You seem to have a lot of pent up racial animosity. You also shouldn't call anyone dumb when you spell words wrong.

The author is a black female. Why does that matter?

You live with your parents so you don't really know much about anything.

Comment

Sen. Elizabeth Warren wrote “American Indian” next to the designation of “Race” when she filed her registration card with the State Bar of Texas in the 1980s, according to a document that emerged on Tuesday.

The registration card, which was obtained by The Washington Post through a records request, was filled out and signed by Warren in 1986, the newspaper reported.

The document shows another — previously unreported — example of the now-senator identifying herself as Native American.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                      To claim it is quantifiable, which is what Dunn's linked article claimed, yes you do need a study.
                      Fair play. I just think its obvious privilege is a thing. If you wanna try to quantify how much of a thing it is in its many different flavors including white privilege again fair play.

But when "white privilege" gets thrown around its usually about how white people are racist, simply because we are white, but we just don't know it or we were successful simply because we are white.
                      This sounds like your interpretation of white privilege or perhaps dealings of the term with people misusing it.

White privilege is basically just being born on 3rd base & thinking you hit a triple. There isn't anything racist about the term per se outside of white privilege having to do with white people. But go to Chinatown & you'll feel some Chinese privilege going down if you aren't Chinese. Is that racist against Chinese people? I say no. Its just how it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X