Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People who say money doesn’t make you happy, simply have none (Scientically proven)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who say money doesn’t make you happy, simply have none (Scientically proven)

Source: http://time.com/money/5157625/ideal-income-study/

-Major study done showing people need to make 75k a year to be happy, at this point you are no longer just getting by

-You should ideally make 95k a year for optimal satisfaction but happiness peaks and you can't get any happier so if you go from 95k a year to 10k/CEO a day you don't gain happiness even though your material wealth increases immensely

Probably depends on how your health is at the time when you make money… If it is miserable then nothing's going to go.

Comment

Having enough money to know you could lose your current income and just screw around for a year while finding a new one brings you happiness because you can be yourself at work (within limits) and not feel like you're walking a tightrope.

Working a mundane job with excessive strain on your personal life just to afford corny status symbols (gaudy watch/premium package on car/etc) and LA/SF rent? You will be at least as miserable as the average welfare bum. Plus have even less to look back on in old age.

75k can be both of those things.
      Last edited by ////; 01-20-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Being broke sucks, it's expensive to be broke. Falling behind on bills, than having to pay fines, having to buy cheap **** that breaks, and than having to replace it etc, buying small amounts of stuff because you can't afford bulk, being broke cost money.

Eating garbage food, not being able to go out and do what you want, not being able to upgrade your sneaker game or get new clothes. Everything about being broke while actually working sucks.

Constantly worrying about money takes the life out of you.

I remember times in the grocery store just looking at a nice steak, wanting it bad as ****, but than I had to remind myself that if I bought chicken I could get 4-5 meals out of what one steak would cost.

My first year i started my business I was broke as ****. But I pretended I wasn't because no one wants to help broke people. But if they think you have money, and are doing well in life, they will help you.

It's a ****ed up world.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
          Being broke sucks, it's expensive to be broke. Falling behind on bills, than having to pay fines, having to buy cheap **** that breaks, and than having to replace it etc, buying small amounts of stuff because you can't afford bulk, being broke cost money.

Eating garbage food, not being able to go out and do what you want, not being able to upgrade your sneaker game or get new clothes. Everything about being broke while actually working sucks.

Constantly worrying about money takes the life out of you.

I remember times in the grocery store just looking at a nice steak, wanting it bad as ****, but than I had to remind myself that if I bought chicken I could get 4-5 meals out of what one steak would cost.

My first year i started my business I was broke as ****. But I pretended I wasn't because no one wants to help broke people. But if they think you have money, and are doing well in life, they will help you.

It's a ****ed up world.
          That's some real **** right there and I definitely felt that one.

Comment

Or are just miserable people.

Comment

Originally posted by MagikLair View Post
              Probably depends on how your health is at the time when you make money… If it is miserable then nothing's going to go.
              All things being the same...

Comment

I like this quote, "money doesn't buy you happiness but it does buy you comfort"

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
                  Having enough money to know you could lose your current income and just screw around for a year while finding a new one brings you happiness because you can be yourself at work (within limits) and not feel like you're walking a tightrope.

Working a mundane job with excessive strain on your personal life just to afford corny status symbols (gaudy watch/premium package on car/etc) and LA/SF rent? You will be at least as miserable as the average welfare bum. Plus have even less to look back on in old age.

75k can be both of those things.
                  It's possible bro, if you do IT contracting for 6 months, keep your expenses low, you can go out to SE asia for the rest of the year and chill. No idea how people sit at the same desk for 30 years for that monthly paymemt on the german car and a fancy apartment you're never in. I occasionally have coffee with my friends working full time in the city and the conversation is always how they hate their life and office politics, a bit sad really.

Comment

Originally posted by 01samuelc View Post
                    It's possible bro, if you do IT contracting for 6 months, keep your expenses low, you can go out to SE asia for the rest of the year and chill. No idea how people sit at the same desk for 30 years for that monthly paymemt on the german car and a fancy apartment you're never in. I occasionally have coffee with my friends working full time in the city and the conversation is always how they hate their life and office politics, a bit sad really.
                    I have a few friends who live as expats in Chiang Mai, Taiwan, etc. I'm able to move around the West Coast, but being remote enough to spend time overseas is a goal.

It seem's like a socially therapeutic experience as well. They come back from a year over there and have no idea about the latest staged "uprisings" going on in the US. I watch their mood gradually darken being back over here.
                    Last edited by ////; 01-20-2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X