Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Post Apocalyptic Movie?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always watch post apocalyptic films and zombie films even if they're not that good, it's my favourite genre

The Road - probably the most "real" feeling of these type of films, extremely grim though

The various something of the Dead films - Dawn of the Dead, the remake and the one where they're in a bunker with some soldiers are my favourites. I like Land of the Dead even though the premise of the rich controlling everything doesn't work in a post apocalyptic world.

Omega Man - I like it more than the Will Smith film, the terrible CGI really ruined that one.

Stakeland - it's got nobody you'd have heard of in it but it's actually a surprisingly good film, though it does go off on an attacking Christians tangent. Vampires, worldwide collapse, scavenging, little towns of hold outs, some good scary moments, I liked it.

The Day - I believe it was a WWE produced film, but they made the sensible decision to put actors in it instead of wrestlers. Societys fallen, there's a handful of people moving from abandoned house to house, they fall into a trap of some cannibals, good realistic looking film.

Warm Bodies, Shaun of the Dead and Zombie Land - post apocalyptic worlds can be funny sometimes.

Waterworld and the Postman are both universally trashed, but there's good films hidden in there, particularly the Postman, if they'd just trimmed about an hour out of it.

Comment

Dawn Of The Dead 1978
      Last Man On Earth 1964
      Escape From New York
      Zombieland

Comment

Dredd comes to mind.

There are more I know i'm forgetting. The golden age for post apocalyptic movies was when I was a little kid.

Comment

Equilibrium

Comment

Soylent Green.

Have some?

Comment

Comment

Waterworld & OG Mad Max films have got to be up there.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHanz View Post
                  Equilibrium
                  Wicked film but how is it post apocalyptic?

Comment

The original Godzilla, which was Japanese and later made into the American film with Raymond Burr, was about or by genuine, real-life apocalypse survivors, the Japanese, not appreciating getting nuked and the results survivors experienced. Radiation!

Indeed many 1950s movies about monsters or 50 foot man or woman were radiation caused.

And then you had several movies from the 1980s which were quite good about American or British or Russian cities getting nuked. The American one was The Day After. The British one was called Threads.

Then you had virus-caused apocalyptic movies like 28 Days Later and others.

Of course, the Terminator series is about going back in time to prevent the nuclear apocalypse that happened in the future.

Finally the movie Thirteen Days was about President Kennedy trying to prevent global nuclear apocalypse.
                    If you were alive then, the doom and gloom we all felt was very palpable for about 10 days from Kennedy's address to the nation demanding the USSR get the missiles out of Cuba and the initial Nyet and then the Quarantine etc.

As kids, we had to practice diving under our desks. [A lot of good that would have done.]

Fortunately that turned out to be pre-apocalyptic.

So some of the movies I cited above were very good and should be seen by all.
                    Last edited by johnbook; 01-04-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

The Book of Eli was a good one.

Comment

Working...
                      X