Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I get a spark regardless of where I ground my negative cable.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get a spark regardless of where I ground my negative cable.

My car battery is dead and my friend is trying to help me jump it. We have the positive and negative on his battery but my car sparks when I ground my negative cable. The positive one works just fine however. Tried out multiple cables.

this is what I'm picturing

Comment

The negative battery post on your car is connected to the body. When you put on the last cable jumper cable you are completing the circuit. The battery on your friend's car is now charging your dead battery. The voltage from your friends battery is going through the negative lead through the frame of your car and to your battery via the negative cable on the your car. When you attach the last jumper cable you complete the circuit, current flows to your battery and causes a spark.

Short story. Its normal.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
        The negative battery post on your car is connected to the body. When you put on the last cable jumper cable you are completing the circuit. The battery on your friend's car is now charging your dead battery. The voltage from your friends battery is going through the negative lead through the frame of your car and to your battery via the negative cable on the your car. When you attach the last jumper cable you complete the circuit, current flows to your battery and causes a spark.

Short story. Its normal.
        Actually, current is what goes through. Voltage is across something and current flows through because of the voltage potential across it.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
          Actually, current is what goes through. Voltage is across something and current flows through because of the voltage potential across it.
          Yeah I know current flows but Voltage is also present at the end of the jumper leads.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
            Yeah I know current flows but Voltage is also present at the end of the jumper leads.
            Yeah 12V across the jumper leads!

Comment

Clip the red one to your tongue.

Comment

Millennials shouldn't play with electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  Clip the red one to your tongue.
                  Don't listen to this ^^^
                  Put it on your nipples from your friends battery and piss on your car battery to do a total distill charge..

Comment

Originally posted by 5burowz View Post
                    Millennials shouldn't play with electricity.
                    I'll **** you in the ass right now if you disrespect me again.

Comment

Working...
                    X