Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official 2018 World Cup thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why everyone is making fun of the English even players living in England smdh

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      This is why everyone is making fun of the English even players living in England smdh
      Ah well at least our own English players don't kneel for their own anthem.

They would have their head on spikes for such disrespect to their own country.

Comment

Mexico beat Germany this world cup

what was the last decent team England beat
        We’re Germany a decent team?

Didn’t look like it. The wheels fell off. The same way Chelsea were not a good team in 15/16 despite having Big Nose, Costa, Cesc, Hazard, Willian, Azpi, Matic etc....

Football is ALL about the sum your parts.

Columbia and Sweden are decent teams. Saying otherwise would be betray a fundamental lack of football knowledge.

England are on the same tier as teams like Sweden/Columbia/Switzerland/Croatia always have been in reality.

US would do well to reach that level in your lifetime imho. I can’t see how they will. Even with the pure numbers.

Losing to the US will always be an abject humiliation for any nation that loves the sort

Comment

• They're talking about changing the format of the World Cup, starting in Qatar.

48 teams. 16 groups with 3 teams in each group. An additional knockout stage.

I could see ****ty teams like USA or Poland getting to, let's say, quarterfinal thanks to that change. Or the powerhouses not getting out of the group stage.

There will be a lot of surprising results in 4 years.

Panama will get their revenge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Szef View Post
            They're talking about changing the format of the World Cup, starting in Qatar.

48 teams. 16 groups with 3 teams in each group. An additional knockout stage.

I could see ****ty teams like USA or Poland getting to, let's say, quarterfinal thanks to that change. Or the powerhouses not getting out of the group stage.

There will be a lot of surprising results in 4 years.

Panama will get their revenge.
            I dunno. You’ll just get teams like Panama and the USA getting pumped.

In all seriousness, the Euros in so much harder to win. Because you’d rather play a decent South American team than their European equivalent

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
              We’re Germany a decent team?

Didn’t look like it. The wheels fell off. The same way Chelsea were not a good team in 15/16 despite having Big Nose, Costa, Cesc, Hazard, Willian, Azpi, Matic etc....

Football is ALL about the sum your parts.

Columbia and Sweden are decent teams. Saying otherwise would be betray a fundamental lack of football knowledge.

England are on the same tier as teams like Sweden/Columbia/Switzerland/Croatia always have been in reality.

US would do well to reach that level in your lifetime imho. I can’t see how they will. Even with the pure numbers.

Losing to the US will always be an abject humiliation for any nation that loves the sort

There we go again with football knowledge you were saying Colombia were pony in this thread

And were with out James Rodriguez

Sweden lost to 10 men Germany (who are not a decent team ) and scrapped by south Korea and had hard time qualifying smdh

Comment

There we go again with football knowledge you were saying Colombia were pony in this thread

And were with out James Rodriguez

Sweden lost to 10 men Germany (who are not a decent team ) and scrapped by south Korea and had hard time qualifying smdh
                Always astounds me that despite this outlet you still can’t understand us.

Columbia are pony.

They also behaved deplorably so they are LESS than the sum of their parts. And again with the emphasis on the individual. But England do NOT have the ability to beat a team like Columbia consistently.

You don’t quite get it yet either. Argentina HAD Messi would did they do?

Sweden are always a problem for England. Similar teams. Or traditionally were.
                Us beating them represented something for us.

You’re doing that thing when you assume somehow that we all think England are a team of great players.

They’ve got 1.

But this time they did at least perform to the sum of their parts. So people like them.

You don’t have to like them that’s fine. But you have to realise on a fundamental team sport basis and especially in a tournament where managers get about 3 weeks total with a squad that it really isn’t about individuals.

France won a World Cup for the reasons I gleaned you had a problem with.

Despite their talent they had an obvious team structure to play a deeper defensive block and use Mbappe and Griezemann on the counter and get runners like Pogba in the box.

They got individuals to by into the team ethic.

What was Argentina’s plan? Germany’s?

England have only just woke up to that obvious fact tbh. So that’s why we are generally positive about them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
                  I know what you are saying, but that 20 year timetable can be at least doubled.

And Americans still need to learn that the best athletes are not necessarily the best footballers. Skill is still more important than athleticism in football.

But still I get your point athletes being turned towards football more and more. But the US is still a sporting nation insanely obsessed with stats and that doesn't translate to a more skilled game like football.

The US will improve no doubt, but I doubt in my lifetime we will ever see them as serious contenders in football until that stat obsessed culture changes.

Football can also have stats fans obsess with. Goals per season, goals in the CL, golden ball, etc etc.
                  Also the US spends a lot of money on its sports and athletes. I do not doubt once it becomes bigger we will be stealing coaches, trainers and methods from Europe and South America.
                  Having our best athletes with the best trainers doesn't guarantee success, but it could be a start.

Comment

• Sigh...

With that logic Iran, Morocco, South Korea etc were all decent teams and so is every side England "do not have the ability to beat consistently"

Yet Mexico will never be able to beat a decent team

I'm done with this thread smh

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
                      Ah well at least our own English players don't kneel for their own anthem.

They would have their head on spikes for such disrespect to their own country.
                      Um, yeah actually thats a point for the other team buddy.

Comment

Working...
                      X