The official 2018 World Cup thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
    Why??????????
    Because they’re a lil country in Eastern Europe that no one really knows about. Also, I’ve come to appreciate their star player Luke Modric. The guys 5’8” and he’s competing wit dudes twice his size, it’s impressive

Comment

• That's just Modric being Modric. He's probably the best player left in the competition, it's not surprising to see what he can do with the ball.

If Croatia reach the final, he'd be a lock for player of the tournament, win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by black.ink View Post
        That's just Modric being Modric. He's probably the best player left in the competition, it's not surprising to see what he can do with the ball.

If Croatia reach the final, he'd be a lock for player of the tournament, win or lose.
        Yeah Modric is one of the best players of this generation. Certainly the most decorated player left in the comp.

I suppose yanks wouldn’t be familiar with Croatia. We’re very aware of their political history and birth as a country in Europe and the fierce pride they have in their shirt.

They also had some absolutely unbelievable players in their short history in football.

Boban, Prosineski, Suker, Jarni, Modric, Rakitic countless others. For a small nation they are comparable in quality to big nations. They do have more quality than England but to this stage they haven’t clicked and hopefully they don’t.

England are Croatia are pretty much level pegging in wins and losses vs each other.

For them Modric and Rakitic won’t be at the next World Cup and I wouldn’t think they will make this stage ever again. Either may England to be fair but they might.

It’s now or never for Croatia and England should be able to play freer because of that. But quality is quality. England’s style is to have runners ahead of the ball - like Argentina - but hopefully with a bit more intelligence. Gaps will be there for Modric and Rakitic and some space in behind for Perisic and Rebic. As a match up I do favour them.

But forget all that. England will f.ucking weigh them. Gonna score 4 from corners. Modric is gonna end up in the back of his own net.

Comment

• Alan Boksic!!

There was a player.

Comment

• Semis it is...

Would still like to see RLC for Dele but we live in a society where a goal means you've suddenly played well so the same xi will play.

Big screen in Manchester city centre so I hear. On a flight to Madrid at 6.30am Thursday - what could go wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
              Boban, Prosineski, Suker, Jarni, Modric, Rakitic countless others. For a small nation they are comparable in quality to big nations. They do have more quality than England but to this stage they haven’t clicked and hopefully they don’t.
              Prosinecki, one of the first 'exotic' players I can remember. What a boss.

My confidence is up now. They've played 4 hours worth of footy in the last week or so. We have bags of pace up top. This is the chance.

Is Subasic alright now? He seemed *****ed on Sat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                It’s now or never for Croatia and England should be able to play freer because of that. But quality is quality. England’s style is to have runners ahead of the ball - like Argentina - but hopefully with a bit more intelligence. Gaps will be there for Modric and Rakitic and some space in behind for Perisic and Rebic. As a match up I do favour them.

But forget all that. England will f.ucking weigh them. Gonna score 4 from corners. Modric is gonna end up in the back of his own net.
                It's exciting isn't it.

Rebic would eat Young for breakfast, need Rose for this one. Trippier could handle Peresic if he's not found wanting out of position when trotting forward. Modric would find him in seconds.

Maguire, Stones and Walker will contain Mandzukic. Kane and Sterling would give Lovren and Vida fits.

It comes down to the middle of the park. Henderson has been good in front of that back three, but needs someone technical and strong with him, RLC fits that.

Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
                Semis it is...

Would still like to see RLC for Dele but we live in a society where a goal means you've suddenly played well so the same xi will play.

Big screen in Manchester city centre so I hear. On a flight to Madrid at 6.30am Thursday - what could go wrong?
                Agree on RLC for Dele. That, and Rose for Young are the only changes i would make (not that Young has been poor, just a bad match up against Rebic).

City centre big screens have been a magnet for the worst the English fans can offer. Our fans have been great abroad, can't quite say the same for the ones left here.

The fans here in Nottingham were embarrassing.

Comment

• I doubt that Southgate makes any changes.

Comment

• I hope not. This team got us to the semis and no one has played badly all have played there part.

Why change it?

Comment

• On another note, a key part of the build up for the Sweden game was that apparently our set piece threat would be nullified because Sweden know how to defend them properly. We saw what happened.

Serious question: Bearing in mind what we've seen from England at this tournament - Is there a team left in it who can feasibly expect to nullify us from set pieces for over minutes?

I remember seeing Southgate getting interviewed on the BBC's coverage of the Superbowl and part-mocking him as he talked up the similarities between NFL and football, and how aspects of their sport can be taken and applied to football tactics. Guy was taking *****ing notes, who's mocking now?!

Comment

Working...
                      X