No announcement yet.

Duke Univ VP has 2 baristas fired for playing rap music at work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke Univ VP has 2 baristas fired for playing rap music at work

They were playing 'Get Paid' by Young Dolph when the VP came in and ordered his food. He heard the lyrics and was offended. The workers offered to comp his meal he refused & called the owner of the coffee house & had the workers fired. Because the coffee house has a contract with Duke Univ they had to comply

Young Dolph heard about the incident and flew the students to his concert & gave them $10,000 each 🐬🐬🐬🐬

About a week ago the students at Duke complained about a fellow students racist snapchat using the N word. He basically told them to stop being snowflakes and read a book

Larry Moneta, vice president of student affairs, issued a statement via Twitter on Thursday in response to a student's use of a racial epithet in a Snapchat.

His tweet early Friday morning about the idea of prohibiting free speech on college campuses, however, sparked a firestorm of responses on social media from students and alumni alike in the wake of a second racially charged incident coming to light later that morning.

"Freedom of expression protects the oppressed far more than the oppressors," Moneta stated in the tweet.

Moneta went on to say that those that want to ban hate speech should read "Free Speech on Campus," a book by Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of UC Berkeley Law, and Howard Gillman, chancellors and professor of law at UC Irvine.

The Friday tweet by Moneta was posted before an email was sent to Central Campus residents at approximately 11:18 a.m. about the second incident, which consisted of a racial epithet being written on a student's door in the 300 Swift apartment complex.
    He also compared the vandalizing of confederate statues to vandalizing a holocaust memorial

The song that was playing

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    They were playing 'Get Paid' by Young Dolph when the VP came in and ordered his food. He heard the lyrics and was offended. The workers offered to comp his meal he refused & called the owner of the coffee house & had the workers fired. Because the coffee house has a contract with Duke Univ they had to comply

Young Dolph heard about the incident and flew the students to his concert & gave them $10,000 each 🐬🐬🐬🐬

About a week ago the students at Duke complained about a fellow students racist snapchat using the N word. He basically told them to stop being snowflakes and read a book

He also compared the vandalizing of confederate statues to vandalizing a holocaust memorial

Yeah man. That VP guy was in full 1bad mode.

Comment

I would have asked them to lower the volume. Drink my coffee, and go back to work.

Comment

Lol so basically vp didn’t care about students using the N word but was against rap music?

Comment

To be honest, i don't think the lyrics of that song is appropriate for any public establishment. However, what happen to warning people these last days? Recently, a very nice latina lady was fired from her janitorial job for conversing with an employee whom happened to be latino as well. She was not employed by the company, but worked for a contracted janitorial company. I hate sheeit like this, man. Just warn the workers.

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
            To be honest, i don't think the lyrics of that song is appropriate for any public establishment. However, what happen to warning people these last days? Recently, a very nice latina lady was fired from her janitorial job for conversing with an employee whom happened to be latino as well. She was not employed by the company, but worked for a contracted janitorial company. I hate sheeit like this, man. Just warn the workers.
            You have to consider the atmosphere. Young college crowd who are probably listening to something similar on their headphones. They were playing music from their spotify playlist. I doubt this was the first time they played explicit lyrics at work.

At a coffee shop off campus I wouldn't expect this type of music played.

But this points to his hypocrisy about free speech on campis

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
              Workers rights are obviously more protected in Australia as it wouldn’t be possible here - basically requires multiple warnings to sack someone unless they take an axe to fellow employees

I’m surprised that these guys haven’t sued for wrongful dismissal

Comment

You have to consider the atmosphere. Young college crowd who are probably listening to something similar on their headphones. They were playing music from their spotify playlist. I doubt this was the first time they played explicit lyrics at work.

At a coffee shop off campus I wouldn't expect this type of music played.

But this points to his hypocrisy about free speech on campis
                Ok. If this is point then it makes absolute sense. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Comment

I recently ate at a Greek restaurant where the music was too loud and complained about it. I've complained many times when I go to a retail outlet to spend money and I don't like the way the staff serve me.

He asked to speak to management and they wouldn't let him so he went above them. I would have done the same.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                    I recently ate at a Greek restaurant where the music was too loud and complained about it. I've complained many times when I go to a retail outlet to spend money and I don't like the way the staff serve me.

He asked to speak to management and they wouldn't let him so he went above them. I would have done the same.
                    Red - where did you hear that?

I read that they turn it down or off and apologized a few times. Even offered his muffin free but he refused and paid for it.

Then went and abused his power.

Comment

Working...
                    X