No announcement yet.

2 university professors says civility in classroom promotes white racial power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bygeorge View Post
    “One way that instructors can challenge the strategies of WIC is by ensuring that White students and students of color engage in sustained, sensitive, and substantive conversations about race and racism,” they suggest.

Rudick and Goslan also say that professors should “encourage White students to understand how using WIC to downplay issues of race or racism in higher education serves to elide their own social location and reinforce the hegemony of White institutional presence.”
    So now that I've read it, my takeaway from this article is that the authors feel that avoiding talking about race or racism is in of itself dismissive to POC? What y'all think, is that what they are saying?

To be clear, my post takes no stance on their accuracy of their point, rather I'm saying that the title of this thread does not appear to be correct.

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
    I see, so these professors are arguing that to be civilized is a white invention, and that the employment of civilization is an act of white supremacy.
    Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm pretty sure they aren't talking about acting civilized in general, as one might be led to believe if they only read the title of this thread
    Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 12-15-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
      Civility is subjective, as in it can embody different actions to different people. As long as no one's in ''The Sunken Place,'' we're cool. I was in ''The Sunken Place,'' yet I saw the light. It wasn't before falling prey to the media lure emphasizing ''The White Woman,'' however, but luckily I just so happened to find love in a White woman, anyway. Can't say the same for the dudes in the movie, though (Get Out). But then again, I was played around with by White females all throughout my teens. I don't know what to make of it. Sometimes, hearing The Weeknd's music brings me back to that past, to the terror of ''The Sunken Place.'' You know how the beat to The Weeknd's ''Or Nah'' starts? That sound gets me every time
      You sound like a *****. That movie get out was made by a half black man raised in upper West side Manhattan to his white mother, only went to private school. The guy had a easier life then anyone I've ever met

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
          You sound like a *****. That movie get out was made by a half black man raised in upper West side Manhattan to his white mother, only went to private school. The guy had a easier life then anyone I've ever met
          That may have furthered his inspiration for ''The Sunken Place,'' seeing how it's about the dangers of a disconnect from one's roots. I don't know, man...the time I spent on them, how they all said they would visit me...they used me as an exotic plaything, and I fell for it because of the media lure of ''The White Woman.'' What if it hadn't happened, what if I had been exposed to the beauty of minority races? Could I have avoided being the White woman's ''mandingo''? Is that the right term? I can't Google right now. My only questions are: Did ''The Sunken Place'' rape me? Does cultural brainwashing count? Was I just another Native-American descendant forced into the sexual will of a White person? #MeToo
          Last edited by SunSpace; 12-15-2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
            That may have furthered his inspiration for ''The Sunken Place,'' seeing how it's about the dangers of a disconnect from one's roots. I don't know, man...the time I spent on them, how they all said they would visit me...they used me as an exotic plaything, and I fell for it because of the media lure of ''The White Woman.'' What if it hadn't happened, what if I had been exposed to the beauty of minority races? Could I have avoided being the White woman's ''mandingo''? Is that the right term? I can't Google right now. My only question is: Did ''The Sunken Place'' rape me? Does cultural brainwashing count? Was I just another Native-American descendant forced into the sexual will of a White person?
            Oh good ****ing grief :bull****9:

Comment

Morons like SunSpace and those professors are the reasons why aliens don't reveal themselves to us and share their technology. I don't mind seeing a news of them about getting beat up. Those clowns deserve getting their ass beat.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                Basically this

If you treat everyone the same, regardless of skin color > racism..

If you treat someone differently because of skin color > racism...

The bar has been lowered so much that anything and everything is racist.

You voted for Hillary Clinton, which if she won would've only emboldened these tards.

Comment

Originally posted by StarshipTrooper View Post
                  Oh good ****ing grief :bull****9:
                  lmao @ that emoji

Comment

How can some of you take Bygeorge's thread titles seriously?

The article comes from Campus Reform, a notoriously conservative website that focuses on "liberal bias" and restrictions on free speech on American college campuses. The author of this article is some random student with a severe conservative/anti liberal bias. The abstract of the study, included in the report is below.

In this study, the authors draw upon critical whiteness studies to explore how White students' understanding of race-talk within higher education (re)produces whiteness. Through an analysis of interview data, they generated 3 categories describing whiteness-informed civility (WIC): (a) WIC functions to create a good White identity, (b) WIC functions to erase racial identity, and (c) WIC functions to assert control of space. These thematic concepts show how WIC is characterized by logics of race-evasion, avoidance of race-talk, and exclusion of people of color. The authors conclude by offering ways for instructors to interrogate WIC through classroom practices informed by critical communication pedagogy.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                      lmao @ that emoji
                      I imported it from Yahoo chat years ago :hahahaha9:

Comment

Working...
                      X