No announcement yet.

Coach teaches kids about privilege with a simple game

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    The point is to just illustrate the advantages certain people have when they are born and how those advantages give you a huge head start over those not as fortunate.

For example, it shows how some school districts have the resources to pay for advanced equipment, modern books, and supplies that allow for more modern teaching techniques compared with other districts that have fewer resources and more needs for the kids.

Ideally, it would lead to a long term evening out of resources such that the schools in poorer districts (with less housing and thus less resources since housing taxes are the main source for public school resources) have the same things that schools in the rich districts have.

Evening out resources levels the playing field and reduces the gap between those with and those without, as the example illustrated.
    I'm am all for expanding, funding and supporting education. I would gladly pay higher taxes if it meant that the money was being spend in education and actually making an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      I'm am all for expanding, funding and supporting education. I would gladly pay higher taxes if it meant that the money was being spend in education and actually making an impact.
      The impact takes a while. In many cases you are trying to change habits and beliefs formed over decades. There just is no easy solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Teetotaler View Post
        Lol "parents". Its usually just the mom
        grandmom*.........

Comment

The video is just a reminder of how things kids have no control over affects their lives and make things easier or harder.
          This was what I took away from the video as well. No more, no less.

Comment

I hear you. But it takes a very long time dude.

In many of the poorest schools, the resources are used on food and security to offset the lack of food kids get at home and to keep them insulated from daily urban life while trying to learn.

I know you know this but you are trying to change behaviors of children whose families have been impoverished for 3-4 generations. It's unrealistic that things will change immediately. But IMO that doesn't mean you don't make an effort.

Once you get that one generation to go to college, you will change everything going forward.

Mate the resources we get these schools go beyond food and security. Beyond clothes and basic school supplies. We provide laptops, kindles iPads. Children have access to books, printers, after school programs that other wealthier children would pay hundreds a month for, all for free. We work with community drs to provide children eye glasses, dental care, medical care for parents who cant afford healthcare etc. Trust me, here in dallas I can confidently say school wise we've come close to eliminating the financial gap between poor schools and wealthy schools.

Problem is those parents and those homes. Parents who take no responsibility for raising their kids, and want to blame everyone else for it. Single moms who complain they don't have time to spend with their kids because their father walked out on them and she has to work two jobs and society should be understanding.
            Never taking responsibility for getting pregnant and having a child when you weren't ready, or taking responsibility for letting the loser who walked out on them, f*** them in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
              Been keepin it trill, ya heard meh?
              Haha cool cool. Same here. Bish

Comment

It's natural for the offspring of bad parents to suffer for it.

It's why I try in live, give my offspring a better future.

Some cultures don't care about that (at all) and they pay for it. Regardless of which country they live in or what "system" they're affected by, you see the same pattern. A repulsion toward one's own offspring then the scapegoating of the public.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
                  Dude you have a racist loser kneeling on the President of the United States in your signature. You need to wake up.

You're a pu$$y... a victim... and complainer... You'll never have a real discussion with anyone how all of your views are full of **** because you're a coward and a soft b*tch.

You need to wake up. Go get a job. Get off of your ****ing ass. Whining like a little girl in all of these posts, acting like you're "oppressed" or something.

Little f*ggot. Get off of your wifi and your brand new iPhone and go really be oppressed.

Better yet... get the **** out of this country if you don't like it.
                  So angry. When was the last time you had some p*ssy?

Comment

Originally posted by lightsout_finit
                    So, you're now admitting the video is pointless and you
                    wasted everbodies time?
                    If you watched it and felt like you wasted your time that's on you. Nobody forced you to watch it.

Comment

So the privilege walk proves whites make better parents than anyone else, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X