Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have your opinions on gun control laws changed over recent incidents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
    The gun control issue has been debated on numerous occasions, in congress, over the last 3 decades. The reason it rarely comes to an actual vote is that it is a losing issue for Democrats. As much as people cry about "right wingers" and their guns, it turns out a lot of Democrats like them too. A reintatement of the assualt weapon ban was voted on just a few years ago and it was easily defeated.

Hell I would love to see an actual vote on a new constututional amendment for gun control and watch it get beaten into a pulp because, never, and I mean never are you going to get 2/3 of the states to agree with it. This does'nt even get into the issue of having to **** all over the 10th amendment in order for the Feds to pass gun control laws without a constitutional amendment.
    I remember several prominent gun control advocate democrats were outed for possessing guns and having gun carry permits.

That was embarassing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      We do legislate humans. Most our laws is to stop and prevent humans from doing things.

We did limit availability of high capacity magazines.

Clinton banned them in the 90s. He assault weapons bill banned a lot of semi automatic weapons and no magazines over 10 rounds.

Didn't make a damn difference.

Most guns laws are like that "Teflon coated" cop killer bullet law.

All political show. No substance.

I don't even remember anyone dying from "copkillers" except in the movies.
      Of course it made a difference. you essentially are saying because ALL gun violence can't be eliminated than nothing should be done. That is BS IMO.

While there is no perfect solution in front of us, we have a system set up where this issue can be discussed, debated and voted on. That hasn't happened not because the people do not want it, but because the NRA has leveraged Republican members of Congress.

What it comes down to is 1.5% of US citizens are determining how the country addresses this issue. There is something wrong when a group with 5 million members gets to determine the gun laws for 325 million people?

Comment

• Let me tell you guys two recent personal stories that will help ppl see this gun issue clearer.

One involves a male, ex convict criminal and the other a female with no criminal history.

1st guy. Gang member, ex convict who served several years in prison for a home invasion robbery.

He is a criminal, conducting criminal business. He has a warehouse where he runs his illegal business. One night as he was entering his business he spots 2 carloads of suspicious armenian gangsters eyeing his warehouse.

He calls me wanting a gun. In 20 minutes, I'm there with a glock .45 with a banned high capacity magazines and a springfield xdm with a banned high capacity magazine.

Comment

• 2nd person, a female with no criminal history. Wants a little gun for self defense.

Took her to the range to try out guns. She likes this little smith and wesson 9mm low capacity magazine. She shoots it well. It's good for home defense.

After preparing herself to take the firearms test, get her background check and knowing she has to go thru a waiting period......

She can't buy that little 9mm because California still hasn't approved it even though the gun was designed to be California legal.

Now I have to take her to the range again and try to find her a gun she likes that she will be allowed to buy.

Comment

• Originally posted by AddiX View Post
            Better screening process, and stricter laws are needed. When a god damn terrorist on a terrorist watch list can buy a fcking AR 15 your gun laws are fcking ******ed.

Trump pulled back restrictions in February which restrict guns to certain people who have mental problems.

NRA wants mass shootings and gun murders, it drives sales/stocks prices up, there is no logical reason to give tards guns.

Republicans didn't give a **** when the kids at sandy hook got slaughtered, so don't for a second think they are gong to change anything now.
            IDK I think I am just getting numb to all these other Mass shooting but Sandy Hook still has to be the saddest shooting of them all. Really breaks my heart and it still brings a tear to my eye. How evil 1 has to be to hurt children. If this didnt change politicians stances on gun control, neither will Vegas.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
              Of course it made a difference. you essentially are saying because ALL gun violence can't be eliminated than nothing should be done. That is BS IMO.

While there is no perfect solution in front of us, we have a system set up where this issue can be discussed, debated and voted on. That hasn't happened not because the people do not want it, but because the NRA has leveraged Republican members of Congress.

What it comes down to is 1.5% of US citizens are determining how the country addresses this issue. There is something wrong when a group with 5 million members gets to determine the gun laws for 325 million people?
              What difference did it make?

Murders were higher when it was in affect than after it got repealed.

You guys do realize that this past decade or so 2000s have been are lowest crime and murder rate?

Nationwide murders are lower now than 20,30 yrs ago.

Comment

The gun control issue has been debated on numerous occasions, in congress, over the last 3 decades. The reason it rarely comes to an actual vote is that it is a losing issue for Democrats. As much as people cry about "right wingers" and their guns, it turns out a lot of Democrats like them too. A reintatement of the assualt weapon ban was voted on just a few years ago and it was easily defeated.

Hell I would love to see an actual vote on a new constututional amendment for gun control and watch it get beaten into a pulp because, never, and I mean never are you going to get 2/3 of the states to agree with it. This does'nt even get into the issue of having to **** all over the 10th amendment in order for the Feds to pass gun control laws without a constitutional amendment.
                I disagree. it isn't voted on because the gun rights lobby leverages republicans in congress. Earlier in the thread I posted a link that showed which members of Congress got the most money donated from the gun rights lobby. Ryan was 3rd and McConnell 6th-thats why we haven't had a good faith debate on this issue in a long time.

Of course it was easily defeated. The gun lobby wields tremendous power. How can you get any real debate if you are threatened to be "primaried" by a candidate with the huge financial backing of the NRA?

Comment

This is just flat out wrong. In polling its almost a perfect 50-50 split on Americans wanting stricter gun laws. But when you go beyond the general question of stricter gun laws and ask specifics, the support for stricter gun laws nosedives. Don't have time atm to post it but look into the research Pew has done on the subject.

Comment

This is just flat out wrong. In polling its almost a perfect 50-50 split on Americans wanting stricter gun laws. But when you go beyond the general question of stricter gun laws and ask specifics, the support for stricter gun laws nosedives. Don't have time atm to post it but look into the research Pew has done on the subject.
                    When Obama got elected and ppl were talking about more gun laws and gun control.

Gun sales skyrocketed to record levels.

Ppl speak louder with money than they do with words.

Comment

I disagree. it isn't voted on because the gun rights lobby leverages republicans in congress. Earlier in the thread I posted a link that showed which members of Congress got the most money donated from the gun rights lobby. Ryan was 3rd and McConnell 6th-thats why we haven't had a good faith debate on this issue in a long time.

Of course it was easily defeated. The gun lobby wields tremendous power. How can you get any real debate if you are threatened to be "primaried" by a candidate with the huge financial backing of the NRA?
                      It's not just about money.

It's about votes.

Politicians who are anti gun lose.

Except some very liberal areas.

When Clinton assault weapons bill got passed. A lot of ppl lost their seats.

That's why 10 yrs later it didn't get renewed. They got the message.

Comment

Working...
                      X